on 19 July 2016
I was looking forward to reading this as I was attracted by the title. But, as other reviewers have said, although being well written it is disappointing and strangely boring for a subject that should be so interesting. I think a whole chapter droning on about the diseases of buffalo was the last straw.
A much better book is 101 Kruger Tales by Jeff Gordon.
on 23 June 2014
I bought this book as I had recently been on a safari holiday to S. Africa and was interested to read of her experiences. It is written in a very chatty way and keeps the reader's interest throughout. I found it very amusing in places and laughed out loud a number of times. Robyn also gives interesting information of how the Kruger Park was expanded and other plans for future game reserves. I think anyone who has experience of a safari holiday would enjoy this book.
on 13 June 2016
I just couldn't get into this book I found it boring and long winded it tells you a lot about nothing . I stuck with it until 93% and gave up . I read a lot of books about Africa and have enjoyed them all up until this one sorry
on 12 October 2015
Great
on 31 January 2013
Well written with amusing style. I was hooked from the first page. Will look for more books by same author.
on 13 February 2012
A very disappointing book. I could understand the nervous approach to travelling around Africa with little or no experience and I looked forward to the author's confidence and knowledge increasing as her experiences expanded. Sadly this was not the case, the book continued to express the couples naivety of life in the bush, highlighted by the nagging of a minority of badly behaved paying game viewers and the surprise at the behaviour of the animals they photographed. The writing style is simplistic and the author fails to deliver a professional script even when prompted to do so by a professional writer. I would give this book a miss, there are better options.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 15 December 2010
Robyn Keene-Young and her husband Adrian operate a wildlife photography and documentary production company in Southern Africa. Their life is spent on the road, living rough in South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe and Mozambique. This is a book about what their lives are like. Robyn has a chatty writing style that took me a little while to get used to, but which became very enjoyable to read. She also has a keen sense of humour. Unlike tourist operators, Robyn and Adrian would sometimes follow the same groups of animals for weeks at a time and it's very interesting to read about what they saw. I especially enjoyed the chapters about their time observing a pack of wild dogs and about a pride of lions who habitually feed on hippos.

Over the course of the book Robyn goes from being a law student who hates camping and knows little about the bush, to an informed expert who explains the politics of cross-border national parks, how and why animals are sometimes culled and/or relocated and the realities of how even eco-tourism affects the environment - but why it is still important. She also shares interesting pieces of history and literature that help to explain this fascinating region.

In the early part of the book there was a lot of Afrikaan jargon which I found confusing. Don't let this put you off as it doesn't continue. I also discovered (after I finished reading!) that there is a glossary of words at the end of the book.

I really enjoyed reading this book which is something a bit different from the usual tourism stories.

I read this on my Kindle. Unfortunately that meant no photographs, but you can see many gorgeous photos on the couple's Road Media website, including photo essays described in the book.
on 24 April 2013
I really enjoyed this book, and felt as though I was with you on your travels, next time can I come?