Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.99

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 April 2011
Jack Kerley has now written 7 of these books in the series featuring Detective Carson Ryder. I have not read the earlier books in the series but did read the last book entitled `Little Girls Lost'.

After Ryder witnesses the escape of the violent psychopath Bobby Crayline from prison, he decides a holiday is in order. He takes a rare break in the mountains with his faithful dog named Mix-Up (GREAT name for a dog by the way!). As usual, Carson's break is interrupted, as any good fictional Detective should expect! He gets called to a grisly murder scene by an anonymous phone call.

His unexpected presence at the crime scene doesn't go down well with local Detective Donna Cherry, but before long there are too many bodies to be fighting between themselves. Unwittingly Carson gets dragged into the murders and tries to help Cherry get to the bottom of it.

With the arrival of the FBI, things certainly don't go smoothly and before long Carson realises there is a lot more at stake that a serial killer, as things and people from his past begin to emerge.

I enjoyed the last Kerley book I read and was looking forward to the next instalment. This didn't disappoint in terms of Carson and the storyline. When I saw other reviews of the book, a couple of people complained there was a major plot spoiler quite early on that looked like an editorial mistake. Thankfully, I am not that bright and was so engrossed in the book I must have missed it!

Ryder is a great character and again is written well with all his baggage too. It's nice to see him in an area that is not his local stomping ground and the character Donna Cherry made for a good match up as she is certainly not a pushover. The story itself starts with the escape of convict Bobby Crayline, and before long I forgot all about him while the other murders were taking place. This meant that there were two major plots running through the story which made it quite interesting.

The murder scenes were as usual very grisly and descriptive, but I must point out that Jack Kerley actually made me wince whilst reading one particular section of the book. I actually had to stop reading one scene involving a dead corpse laid out for viewing as it had my stomach turning! Either I have a very active imagination, or he is a great writer. I think it may be a combination of the two, but it makes for great reading.

The introduction of Carson's brother was very interesting and although I don't want to introduce a plot spoiler, I am glad the story panned out the way it did giving the story more room to grow in future books.

The book was paced very well and towards the end we see it reach its climax and wrap things up nicely. All in all, once again a thoroughly enjoyable read, although not one for the weak stomached!
VINE VOICEon 17 October 2010
My header for this book just about says it all. I have read all Jack (before he became J.A.) Kerley's books to feature Carson Ryder and Harry Nautilus and now I have to wait another 12 months for the follow-on to this book.

Over the years, Harry has featured less and less whilst Jeremy, his on-the-run clinically insane brother features more and more. So now you know the sideshow in 'Buried Alive'. But none of this makes any difference to the quality of the storytelling. Carson Ryder still gets the job done, takes the knocks, meets out his own variety of justice and generally finds a short-lived love interest. 'Buried Alive' is unfortunate in that the title is not unique and quite where it leads us is another matter. However, the horror of child abuse, dog-fighting and a closed-knit community in the outback or rather, in the Alabama mountains, leads a holidaying Ryder into some of the most macabre of murders and a rather more complex reconnection with his brother.

Buried Alive is a great read which means you start it and you finish it at one sitting pretty much, hence the sorrow of having to wait another year for the next one. This isn't the best of Kerley's books but his standard is so high that a slight and minor glitch in the quality makes little difference to the excellence of his storytelling.

Frankly, too, being able to buy such a book in paperback without having to shell out megabucks for the first print hardback is an added bonus. Spend less than a fiver and consider it worth many times that for one of the best crime thriller writers in print today.
on 8 March 2011
I have read all of Jack Kerley's books and I really enjoy them generally.
This one on the whole is a bit of a mess. Along with several typos, spelling mistakes etc, there is a huge error at the beginning of chapter 26, about half way through the book. A couple of other reviewers have also mentioned this. The text refers to the killer by name before we are supposed to know that that person is involved. When I got to this point, I re-read it a few times, unable to decide whether I was going mad, whether it was a misjudged trick by the author to lead you in the wrong direction, or in fact just a complete balls up by either the author or the publisher. I decided to carry on reading. By the end I am still unsure which one of these is the case!
Having said all that, it was a good fun read! Although Harry Nautilus was almost absent which is a shame.
Not Kerley's best by a long stretch but it was (as usual) a page-turner.
on 29 September 2013
great book every time i read one of JA,s books thats me gone for a while have to read as much as i can and still sleep and do the everyday things,this is one author i can read and read again very enjoyable unputterdownable,amazing story teller and the people envolved are so compeling,love it
VINE VOICEon 24 April 2014
As well as the mistake at the beginning of Chapter 26, which names one of the killers, there is another howler later on in the book when someone whom the named killer abducts is described as having been killed by exposure despite the fact that he wasn't -- and indeed he shows up quite dramatically later on in the book.

The book is shambolic in that regard, and shows signs of having rewritten heavily and very, very poorly edited. Disappointing.
on 14 November 2012
Downloaded this on my new Kindle. Extremely fast paced, a keep you guessing novel all the way - only the second JA Kerley book I've read, but will be trying more. The characters are totally believeable and theres none of that macho image you get from some authors.
on 21 October 2012
Ok - I have now read all of the Carson Ryder books and can honestly say I thoroughly enjoy Kerley's style and imagination, but this one has a huge, unforgivable mistake - in the first paragraph of Chapter 26 he accidentally gives away the name of one of the murderers, even though Carson hasn't yet worked it out. Really spoilt this one for me....
on 9 January 2012
as you would expect from J A Kerley. Yes one or two editorial errors but we like those :) Good plot and story and everything you could think of was thrown in at the end. Excellent read and looking forward to the next one.
on 18 August 2011
I bought this book as i like the crime/serial killer/scarey genre, and it looked good.
Took a few chapters to get into, but couldn't believe that the 'killer' was named less than half way through the book! I think this must have been a rather large error, as it didnt fit so early in to the story.
I stuck with it and have to say the latter part of the book had some juicy twists and turns.
I couldn't really bond with Ryder, the 'hero', i have read other books with recurring heroes and love them, just could't seem to with this guy.
The gore wasn't too descriptive, that could just be me! I like to be scared stupid! I wasnt im sorry to say!
This wasnt the worst or the best book ive read, i wont be actively looking for another book by this author, but if one fell into my lap i'd give it a go.
VINE VOICEon 2 November 2010
I've read and enjoyed all of Jack Kerley's Carson Ryder novels and this one maintains his very high standard. Ryder is a great creation as is his sidekick Harry Nautilus who, sadly, has a smaller role in this outing.

As a point of interest, not that it makes much difference, I think there's a small mistake on page 178 that the editor should have picked up, see if you agree.

If you haven't yet discovered Carson Ryder there's a clutch of great thrillers waiting for you to enjoy. Start with The Hundredth Man and you won't look back. Trust me.