Format: Audio CD|Change

on 26 February 2011
The first I heard of Taylor Swift was 'Love Story' At first I wasn't a fan, but decided to buy 'Fearless' anyway, I was pleasently suprised by her music. The lyrics are very good, and for me and I imagine a lot of other people they are lyrics I can relate too. I found that the music grew on me so I purchased 'Taylor Swift' her debut album. Again, not as good as Fearless in my books, but a good album.

I had been looking foward to the release of 'Speak Now' for quite a long time and decided to purchase the deluxe edition. I purchased the deluxe edition with 'Fearless' and my favourite song of that album was one of the deluxe 'extras' So I was very glad I did. With 'Speak Now' I also found that some of my favourite songs were ones that wouldn't be included if I'd bought the non deluxe edition. On the strength of 'Superman' and 'Long Live' I would have paid the extra money just for them.

I'm going to break down the songs and what I think of them:

Mine 3/5: Not the best song on the album by a long shot, I kind of feel the same way as I do about 'Love Story' Pleasent enough but not her best.

Sparks Fly 5/5: The kind of song that I like to listen too when getting ready to go out or to go and see my boyfriend. It puts me in a good mood almost instantly. I love the lyrics and I love the feel of the song.

Back to December 3/5: Again, not the best on the album by far but a nice enough song with nice lyrics and a good tune. Apparently about her relationship with Taylor Lautner.

Speak Now 5/5: A sweet, tongue in cheek song with a story. I like the way a lot of her songs tell a story and this one is just fabulous, with lyrics like 'Wearing a gown like a pastry' You can't help but love it.

Dear John: 4/5: A rather long song apparently directed at John Meyer who has long been speculated as a bit of a love rat (But a wonderful musician!) Although Taylor Swift never confirms or denies who her songs are directed at the guitar in the background sounds a LOT like something out of one of John Mayers songs, you can almost feel the angst/heartache in the lyrics and her voice and I like the way it is obviously a song she feels and has felt. A song a lot of girls can relate too.

Mean 5/5: I love this song, I listened to it again and and again after a break up and it cheered me up no end. Its a catchy little tune with again, wonderful lyrics.

The Story of Us 4/5: Another good song, with well thought out lyrics. Taylor proves time and time again that she's a truly talented musician and lyricist.

Never Grow Up 5/5: A sweet and gentle song, as usual slightly autobiographical as there are references to what I assume are her mother. A lovely message is sent out in this song and I think its lovely.

Enchanted 5/5: This is one of my favourites of the album. I love the subject matter, I love the lyrics, I love the tune. The lyrics at the end 'Please dont be in love with someone else' You can tell that Taylor Swift writes from the heart.

Better than Revenge 4/5: I enjoy this song as it is what I feel a revenge song. Apparently about Camille Bell, the girl Joe Jonas left Taylor Swift for. Speculation says this is a song in response to Joe Jonas's song which states 'Now I'm done with superstars, and all the tears on her guitar'.

Innocent 2/5: The one song I don't like on this album. Sometimes Taylor Swift songs are 'growers' and they take a few listens. I've tried to listen to it more than once but for some reason I don't like this song at all.

Last Kiss 5/5: The first time I heard this I nearly cried, Its such a beautiful song about a break up, something a lot of us can relate too.

Long Live 5/5: Beautiful lyrics, cheerful song. Another one of my favourites on the album.

DELUXE EDITION TRACKS

Ours 4/5: A song about not caring about what others think of her relationships etc. I like this song, again its not the best but its catchy.

If this was a movie 5/5: Another song I related too on a personal level, about when you wish things were like the movies. The guy showing up on your doorstep in the middle of the night begging for forgiveness. Taylor Swift may be a super star but she seems to have her fair share of heartache and break ups and this song like all of hers shows shes a human being. A beautiful song.

Superman: My favourite song of the album.

All the rest of the content is different versions of songs already on the album, a music video and a making of. All good content and worth having.

This album was worth the wait and I would definatley go for the deluxe edition. Happy Listening.
on 26 October 2010
I'm a recent convert to Taylor Swift and I was nothing short of impressed with this album.

I was surprised to find a different kind of sound with some much darker and intense emotions but - it's all the more relatable because of it. The album begins "Mine" a song that could have easily been on Fearless as it follows a similar style and then as the album progresses we find darker songs such as "Haunted".

I'd say her song writing is more honest and developed, less names this time but the detail and imagery makes for some powerful listening. There is more exploration of feelings and as a listener you can sense a lot of genuine emotion. The work also strikes a nice balance of sweetness and light with songs such as; "Mean" and "Speak Now", which are amongst my favourites. As always with Taylor, any songs you don't initially take to will grow on you and I find there's always something to be taken from them.

Speak Now covers many different themes; falling in love, heartbreak and coming of age. I think Swift captures all of these very nicely and as always her music is an easy listen, with catchy melodies that will resound in your head long after you've stopped listening.
on 1 January 2016
its okay

As for the bonus videos, I can't comment on them as for some reason my PC wont pick them up, but I think this is down to my PC, not the actual CD as this isn't the first album with videos on it that my computer can't pick up.

The best thing about this album is that it has a different feel to her previous album, some artists make each album sound the same, however Swift has managed to avoid that whilst keeping the feeling that you are listening to the same artist that you first loved, which really shows how good of an artist she really is.

All songs in my opinion are fantastic and are extremely enjoyable to listen too, songs vary from a soft country feeling and then suddenly you will get a song which has a blast of that heavy country feel... fantastic.

Overall, it's a solid album and I have to recommend it to not only all those Swift fans out their, but also too anyone who loves Country music.
22 Comments| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 November 2010
This CD is great and has been on repeat since I purchased it. A really good variety of songs and with so much heart. 'Dear John' is so good I wonder if 'John' has managed to leave the house since hearing it! Also 'enchanted' is so beautiful,is this about Taylor Lautner I wonder?? And I think my all time favourite is 'mean' We've all met mean people and you can relate so well to this song, I hope she releases this as a single. I'm a very happy purchaser and can't wait to see her at the NEC in March!
on 16 November 2010
I love Taylor Swift, have all her albums and have seen her live. Her music is fantastic. Fearless (her second album) is probably one of my all time favourites so the fact that I rate her new one as almost that good is something special. The album is a grower, initially lacking the wow factor of fearless and the platinum bonus tracks. It's been on loop since day one and all the songs are very likeable. Speak Now isn't as consistently good as Fearless but when it does deliver the good songs are alot better (Mine, Enchanted and Speak Now). Given a few more plays Speak Now may surpass Fearless. Taylor's writting ability is more fun and her songs more varied in this release, a step up from fearless is everyway yet just lacks it's charm. If you liked Fearless, Speak Now is more of the same.
on 3 December 2010
"Fearless" was quite simply a wonderful album - the songs were wonderful in their innocence and general tunes. They were sweet, they were girlish. "Speak Now" - Swift has landed.

A few of these could easily have been found on "Fearless" - true. Yet, what makes this album so much better is the few songs that stand out and make you a little sad that they never really get showcased as much as the lead one(s) on the album.

"Mine" - it's the lead of the album so I have to mention it. It's in a similar vein to "Love Story", the lead of "Fearless" yet it's more mature than that even because it takes life more seriously. It's uplifting and beautiful.

"Speak Now" - treat this less as the musical account of a young beautiful girl storming into an ex's most happy day of his life and telling him he's making a mistake. It's more about freedom; freedom to stand up for what you want. It's wonderful.

"Back to December" - it's so beautiful and heartbreaking. Without a doubt, about the Taylor/Taylor relationship, but there's an innocence to it despite its finality that makes it something to listen to and cry to several, several times.

"Dear John" - now we come to the undoubted best song on the album. It's nearly seven minutes long and is quite simply Taylor Swift pouring her heart out about a John (Mayer, of course). Please compare to the juvenile tones of "Forever and Always" and shiver. "Forever and Always" in comparison will sound whiny and brattish, which it isn't, because this song is so raw, emotional, and mature, in a way that Taylor Swift has never been before.

Please buy, enjoy every single song. A worthwhile and satisfying album. :)
on 31 December 2010
"Speak Now" is Taylor Swift's recent musical creation that is very original, creative, upbeat, and left me feeling very peaceful and content. You can really feel her happiness and enthusiasm through her singing in this collection such as in the musical numbers of "Mine" and "Enchanted". Most of the songs are very upbeat, but even the more solemn songs make you think such as "Haunted". Watching the music video to "Mine" compelled me to buy this collection because the song is both serious and happy at the same time. The seriousness side is regarding the song's meaning where her and the person she falls in love with navigates the practical realities of life (where she sings about living together, and singing about paying the bills). The happy part is how the challenges of navigating this only brought them closer together (there is a part in the song where she sings about a fight at 230am, and just when she thought the relationship was over, he (the person she fell in love with) reassures her that he plans to stay with her even in spite of the challenges. This is why I say that "Mine" is a song that has a serious undertone, but is also happy and beautiful at the same time. Most of the songs on the cd are very good. The only song that I have to admit that I must give more of a chance is "Last Kiss". "Last Kiss" is ok, but is definitely a song that I would have to play more to enjoy (although there may be others reading this who are going to love "Last Kiss"). My favorite songs in this collection are "Enchanted", "Better Than Revenge", and "Sparks Fly". "Enchanted" is a very beautiful song about her developing intense feelings for someone that she connects to on a deep level who captivates her (hence her saying I was enchanted to meet you). "Better Than Revenge" is a creative musical number about how people can be much more powerful and stronger than what they appear to be on the surface. Truthfully, Taylor does sing about taking revenge on another female that may have been unaware of her power and more from an intent to give her a taste of her own medicine, (not from a physical or dangerous perspective). "Better Than Revenge" is a great musical pop, country, and rock hybrid (the guitar sounds used in the song are very enjoyable). However, my overall favorite song in this collection is the very happy, uplifting, and fun "Sparks Fly". "Sparks Fly" is a fantastic song about how someone gives her the butterflies and a feeling of romantic excitement just from smiling at her. She sings this song so joyfully and passionately that you really get the sense of a happy soul singing about a person that makes her feel alive. I say to definitely consider getting this collection if you like any of the following songs: "Teardrops on my Guitar", "Lovestory", and/or "Mine". Fortunately, she is going to perform in the area that I live the summer of 2011. I definitely intend to go to her concert
on 31 October 2010
When I found out about the release of Taylor's latest album, I confess to being worried there was no way she could match her superb last album Fearless (especially the Platinum Edition). It's not often you listen to an album for the very first time and think every single track is either good / very good / superb or simply fantastic - but that's how I'd rate this album. And to think she wrote all 14 tracks herself - each one based on her own experiences - she really is something else!
From tracks like 'Never Grow Up' which - like 'The Best Day' on Fearless - is just so simple and beautifully honest, to 'The Story of Us' which should be a UK Top 10 track if ever I heard one.
My personal favourite has to be 'Better Than Revenge', which is more rock than country - and I really hope the UK media recognise the sheer talent in the form of this amazing 20 year old singer-songwriter. And I haven't even mentioned the singles she's already released from the album!
I was lucky enough to see her twice in 2009, and you can be sure I've already got my ticket for her tour next year! It's very rare that you buy an album and don't eventually get sick of hearing it 'cos you've over played it - but I just haven't tired of listening to Fearless, and I really think I'll be doing the same with this new album.
On Amazon you can buy all of her first 3 albums (this one, Fearless (platinum edition) & her first album 'Taylor Swift') for abou £22 - so if you haven't got any of these, I'd really recommend them. They're all 5 ***** from her very first hit single in US (Tim McGraw) when she was just 16 to her latest offering.....WOW!
*First up; if your wondering which version to go for out of Speak Now(Normal) or Speak Now(Deluxe), I would really recommend you spending a few more pounds and getting the deluxe, especially if your a big Taylor Swift fan. What your're getting is 8 extra bonus songs (3 new songs, 2 acoustic & 3 US versions) + 2 videos, and trust me the new songs really are worth getting.*