Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New album - Matt Terry Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

Post Card
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 3 April 2015
Mary Hopkin's CD Postcard.
I've just discovered that Mary Hopkin's original LP Postcard from 1969 has been issued on CD with 5 bonus tracks.I was a big fan of hers back then and bought all of her singles and LP's when issued. Personally, this was my favourite LP of hers back then, even without the bonus tracks, which are, the first track."Those were the Days" and the last 4 tracks. I think the CD is a beautiful collection of her music back then which can still be enjoyed today without sounding too dated.
But a couple of comments are needed.
The first one is about Amazon's description of the album in which it is stated that "Fields of St. Etienne" is released here for the first time, despite having been recorded back in 1969. That's not true as it was issued as the B side of her single Que Sera Sera. and according to Google was released in several European countries, some of them in 1969 and the rest in 1970.
However, I personally have an LP of her called "Those were the days" issued sometime in the 1970's. It really is a Greatest Hits album as it has 6 of her singles plus the B sides. One of those tracks is "Fields of St. Etienne"
The other comment I want to make is to correct one of the reviewers in something he wrote. The reviewer is Bluebottlethethird and his review is from July 2014.
He says Paul McCartney wrote "Those were the Days" for her.
It is a Russian Romance Song and the writer Boris Fomin wrote it in his lifetime (1900 - 1948)
Gene Raskin wrote English lyrics for it in 1960.
The already well established singer Sandie Shaw, recorded it at the same time, but Mary's version proved to be much more popular.
I am delighted to see both Postcard and Earth Song / Ocean Song are available on Cd now and I will be purchasing them immediately.
Always intended to transfer my LP copies to CD but I'm sure the sound quality will be far superior.
I also wonder is there any plans to issue the one I mentioned above, Those Were the Days on Cd.
on 20 April 2004
Out of all the Apple reissues released in 1991, Post Card was my firstselection. As a kid, I was fascinated with Mary Hopkin's vocal delivery ofThose Were the Days. Many years later, I found out that one of my auntsshared this particular fondness upon discovering that she had a 45 RPMversion of the song with the B-side that consisted of Mary Hopkin'sarrangement of Turn! Turn! Turn! (To Everything There Is A Season). Bythen, the single was too scratched and too worn to be deemed playable, andto try find a replacement on any tipe of vinyl (LP or another 45)wasvirtually going on a "wild goose chase".
Fortunately, I would obtain these two songs on this CD, along with otherdelightful remakes which include covers of Lullaby of the Leaves, YoungLove, Love Is the Sweetest Thing, and Someone to Watch Over Me, the lastof which is probably my favorite.
In addition to these old favorites, Donovan pitched in two contributionsfor Ms. Hopkin to record, namely Voyage of the Moon and Lord of the ReedyRiver, both of which finely suited her voice. Another asset for Post Cardis Harry Nilsson's The Puppy Song, a lovable track that was almostreleased as a follow-up single to Those Were the Days. Also contained areY Blodyn Gwyn and Prince En Avignon, two tracks not sung in English, thelatter in French and the former in Welsh.
All in all, the instrumentations of echoing strings are quite serene andreminiscent of the Burt Bacharach musical arrangements present in theearly days of A&M Records, which had in its artist lineup Dionne Warwick,Jackie DeShannon, and The Carpenters. If Paul McCartney planned for awholesome image on the Apple label, then his decisions to follow theadvice of Twiggy and hire Ms. Hopkin and then select these songs for herto put forth were most definitely apt.
on 5 July 2014
I had the vinyl copy of this without 'Those Were The Days' on it so when I saw this cd at a reasonable price it appealed to me. With it's mix of light pop and old songs it's a varied album and definitely shows the McCartney influence. As he produced it it's hardly surprising but it also displays his influence where song selection is concerned I suspect. Having written 'Those Were The Days' for Mary Hopkin which is an excellent pop song, some of the other songs tend to grate despite Mary singing them impeccably. I'm a big fan of McCartney but he does tend have a too varied mix of song style sometimes and I think this is the case here. It probably seems a bit too innocent and twee now and doesn't bear listening to too often. But this album is of it's time and if you're in just the right mood is enjoyable. But you have to be in that mood..
on 17 March 2014
THIS PAUL MCARTNEY PROD FRM 1968 IS A GREAT PERIOD PIECE.I REMEMBER TWIGGY RAVING ABOUT MARY AT THE TIME AFTER SEEING HER ON TV AND IT WAS TWIG WHO PHONED PAUL MCARTNEY ABOUT HER.VG REMASTERING
on 7 November 2011
i REALLY ENJOYED LISTENING TO THIS CD AFTER MANY YEARS OF NOT HEARING IT. Enjoyed several of the hits...THOSE WERE THE DAYS of course being top of my list....shame they didnt include Marys eurovision song of KNOCK KNOCK WHO'S THERE AS A BONUS TRACK of the original....Nice to hear some Welsh renditions as well as the more commercial tracks. For any lover of the 60s music, this must be part of your collection.
on 18 January 2013
This is a beautiful disc and brings back so many memories of the sixties. it is shame that more of her work was not readily available. This is a wonderful album.
on 4 August 2009
There are mixed feelings about this LP from others and to some extent I share them. MH was a breath of fresh air at the time and I still love listening to her 40 years later so she had something. However some of the tracks are poorly considered - "Love Is The Sweetest Thing" sounds like a saturday night in a Working Men's Club version: other tracks are awesomely beautiful. Y Blodyn Gwyn and Inch Worm would stop the traffic, Prince en Avignon (is that PMC on drums?) grows on you, 'The Game' shows her voice off wonderfully. "Happiness Runs" is just beautifully silly - perfect for the time. As for the reviewer mentioning her absence from recording - there wasn't one. She is listed as a session singer on many albums recorded throughout the 70s and 80s especially LPs produced by hubby Tony Visconti. I don't think Mary particularly wanted fame and all the glitz - she only ever looked really comfortable when singing and that is a huge amount of her appeal.
on 13 May 2015
This is Mary's first album bought originality on vynal there isn't a bad song on the album. It is full of folk songs Mary's voice complements them lovingly, yes i would recommend this album.
I believe Mary is still singing today, this and the second album will be the most memorable of her music to me, to sum up great.
on 28 March 2016
Paul McCartney produced debut ( at least in English!) for Mary Hopkins; it is a decent enough Folk Album and houses material far more suited to Hopkins than th type of pop material her management tried to push her towards follwowing her days on Apple. Listen without prejudice.
on 6 May 2015
they were for my mum who I lost on15 April this year. she enjoyed the music it was mum and dads songs they enjoyed together my mum lost my dad 40 years ago but Mary Hopkins lived on in there heart .she still had the record from days before CD, thankyou