Format: DVD|Change

on 1 October 2016
Matt Smith always had a massive mountain to climb and big shoes to fill following David Tennant standing down. His quirky Doctor took a little getting used to, but by episode 3 or 4 he seems to have pulled it off. The one thing about Steven Moffat's writing is that as the viewer, you need to keep a close eye on each episode- there are clues mixed in everywhere.. something which works great on Sherlock, but as Doctor Who is a family show, many younger viewer loose interest (my sons are testament to this- loved everything with David Tennant's Doctor, but lost interest with Matt Smith and the program change). That said, the production and stories on the whole were excellent for Matt's first season as the time lord. Blu-ray picture and sound are excellent, and are a worthy upgrade from the DVD version. I have been slowly been replacing my DVD boxsets with the Blu-ray versions as they come up on offer on Amazon
on 14 September 2016
Matt Smith was brilliant as the Doctor.
When Doctor who came back in 2005 it became a much watch show again. It knocked the socks off the endless rubbish Saturday night television, dancing on something, celebrity garbish shows.. Ugh junk. But The Doc rocked our worlds again. As I remember Tom Baker did for me in the 70's. As a adult its pleasing to see such good television shows for our children to watch that's full of fun and is so impressionable as a better role model in life than the yobbish football players are of todays TV. Hmm getting sidetracked. David Tennant was fun , but Matt Smith brought just so much to the show, as did Amy and Rory. So much fun. But as a 2nd hand blu ray cos it was going cheap.
One more thing, Murray Golds music is stunning.
on 14 June 2017
Just a quick bit of product info:
This boxset; "Doctor Who - The Complete Fifth Series (standard) Box Set" BBCDVD3285 comes in two variants...
The first production run / pressings (in book terms 1st edition) was produced with Lenticular 3D covers. This was the version initially produced for sale. However once sold out - All subsequent pressings / productions (editions) have a standard NON-LENTICULAR cover.
Unlike books there is nothing to differentiate between different production runs of a DVD boxset. They both have the same EAN / same barcode and same bbcdvd ID number. There are however as I've said two different variants. (Two different versions - I deliberately have not used the term edition as the two versions are technically the same edition).
This is the case for this DVD Boxset and also "The Complete Second Series (standard) DVD Boxset" BBCDVD2122.
So....if you are after 1 in particular; check the listings carefully or seek clarification.
Everything else there is to know about this product is detailed in other reviews.
If your not fussy about what version you get ...there is also a more space efficient lower priced repackaged rereleased boxset listed separately.
Hope you enjoy if you decide to buy
Whatever edition or version you buy I thoroughly recommend.
review image review image
on 23 November 2013
I only started watching Doctor Who a couple of years ago, and I'm glad I did as I really enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Matt Smith is fantastic as the Eleventh Doctor, and while Karen Gillan's Amy Pond was a little annoying in the first few episodes with her flirtation towards the Doctor, Karen does a very good job and ranks amongst the best of the companions.
on 1 June 2017
Received today. Will be watching lots. Good for all doctor who fans
on 11 May 2017
Good value , plenty of extras , Amy Pond and River Song . I am one very happy fan .
on 2 April 2017
not my favourite doctor but still good
on 30 April 2017