on 14 November 2010
Since O'Connor has already given an overview of this game, I'll just say my personal opinion about it.
I'll start saying that I'm a big JRPGs fan, even though I've never played an Atelier series game, so that's the first one for me.
I usually don't like crafting, I have more fun defeating strong monsters in order to get rare items, instead of making them by myself. Atelier Rorona changed my mind: the game is all about synthesize items, but like I wrote in the title it's very addictive (I've finished the game yesterday, and I always had sessions at least of 3 hours), since you have always quests to accomplish before the deadlines, and to do that you also have to explore the different "dungeons".
I found the story pretty simple but very well-told; the graphic and the musics are really lovely too, and the fact that you can choose between English and Japanese dubbing is an appreciated feature.

So, why the 4 stars? That's because Atelier Rorona is a little different than the usual JRPGs, and while I was lucky to like it, it could not be the same if you're searching for some classic JRPG. But if you like the genre, and you're willing to try something that can be new, then Atelier Rorona really deserves a chance =)
20 people found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 21 November 2015
This was Gust's first attempt at creating an Atelier game on ps3. and despite being a big atelier fan, I cannot recommend this game; it is not very polished in terms of outdated graphics, repititive gameplay mechanics and mildly interesting story; the music is good though as this is Gust's strong point. I would recommend the plus version of this game on either the ps3 or vita, with cross-save functionality and which improves this game drastically in terms of visuals, gameplay and even fleshes out the story and add extra characters and duggeons and character events.
One person found this helpful
on 27 January 2013
Very disappointed on first play, mainly with the visuals. This is strikingly like a last gen game, unacceptable when we're almost at the end of this generation. Not that games are only about graphics, but there's a lack of style that you would expect from the concept artwork, a brightness lacking in the colours, or a generally low level of detail. The game changes between styles - pre-canned, roaming, inside houses. There's a jarring difference between the quality here which perhaps is at the heart of the issue.

The game itself is robust enough JRPG-fare. But nothing remarkable. The characters, game world - general hooks for JRPGS are interesting enough, but overall disappointing. We were expecting more.
on 13 May 2014
It's ok as a game, the music and graphics are beautiful, and the storyline is really good, but the system where you have to synthesis so many items to a set deadline is tiring and once I had got past the first deadline only to have the next one shoved in my face made me not want to play it anymore.
If you do like repetitive gameplay with time and date based deadlines, much like the Persona games, then you would probably love this game, but I prefer linear JRPGS where you actually make progress and explore different lands, cities and towns.
on 27 March 2014
Too complicated for kids,too silly for older kids.I thought the game might been kind of NI NO KUNI style,it looks like it,it has similar stragedy etc. But the limitation of the places and too much complications with too much reading and guessing,just takes you nowhere.If your child has all day to spare,maybe they will enjoy it.overall the story and the graphic isnt bad.
on 4 January 2014
I bought this one and the 2nd game for my boyfriend for christmas, it had gotten okay reviews and I know he likes anime and cute things like this. my boyfriend and I was however quite unhappy with how dull and boring everything was.

What this game does have however is being really really cute, the japanese voices are spot on and even some of the english voices are reasonably cute too (which is rare!)
on 23 November 2015
Great game I've only just started playing it but so far it's got a easy learning curve and very easy to get into would be a great game for people who have never played this type of game.
on 11 November 2013
The game is time-limited in all aspects, there is no option to do things at your own pace. I also found the revealing clothing on characters that are supposed to be young girls a little disquieting although this does seem to be a feature of this series of games.
on 30 March 2014
Maybe it's just me but I'm always attracted to these games and then get bored with them half way through and sell them on.
on 21 July 2013
At first I was drawn aback by the sexual referances made towards teenagers in this game, but I eventually came around to enjoy it.