Customer reviews

Business Casual
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 28 January 2014
I recently heard a new track from Chromeo on the radio - Come Alive, so I checked out Youtube and then Amazon to find out the availability. I was so surprised after checking out their previous albums to find a group pursuing the sound of the 80's and replicating it so well.
Understandably there will be nay sayers who just appreciate formulaic music and any deviation from this will send them into spirals of despair, but for me they are missing the point somewhat. All the right motifs of the music are there: the fat bass lines, the analogue synth sounds, string stabs and riffs that rocked so many 80's dance floors. Whatever your past tastes, electro, funk or pop, this group successfully caters for that need.
The lyrics remind me of the kind of Po-faced seriousness and nonchalance of the Pet Shop Boys, never taking themselves too seriously which sells the music much more( for me anyway).
I can't agree with the other reviewer that the album tails off, thats nonsense. There are always tracks in an album that we never like, lets be honest now. I personally don't like J'ai Claque La Porte but that doesn't stop me finding the album very good as a whole. So the last couple of tracks are not 'off the shelf' items, you have to listen with better ears than that. If you can appreciate them for what they are you can see the guys are merely stretching their artistic legs but keeping the musical influence they are known for.
Anyway, this is one happy customer, they could be singing out a shopping list for all I care, the chance to hear those meaty basslines and vintage synth sounds is too much to resist. If you are a child of the electro-funk era, I recommend you get a fix now !
2 people found this helpful
on 24 March 2011
This Album is simply awesome; it requires a lot of talent to make a good electro album, it takes a hell of a lot more talent to make one sound as though it was recorded using the styles and techniques popular in the 80s and yet, feel fresh.

My one criticism is that the album just isn't long enough, it's over too soon, but leaves you wanting more!
on 24 February 2013
got all there albums good group good mixture of songs brand new sealed great price came as sold thanks :0
on 16 October 2010
It's clever, catchy and kinda cool. I'm singing out loud in the car and people are looking and I just don't care. It's that much fun.
on 13 July 2014
This one's also very good but Chromeo have really come into their own with White Women
on 22 March 2016
Received with thanks.
on 4 March 2016
love it!
on 4 November 2010
This is a very SEXY album & this is what Chromeo are all about.
Cheesy 80's sound & lyrics. Wake up the 80's are back in big style !
80's vere cool but not cool enough in terms of production. Now we enbrace better technology, better produced albums so open your arms wide to this guys !!!
This is a fully rich electro-disco-funky-pop album. It sounds 80's but with 2010 advanced technonoly.
Only Aeroplane have made an equaly seductive album in the field of Electro-disco so watch out for them too !!!!
on 16 January 2011
This album is very retro in style. Excellent listening music, easy going although beat is very similar all way through but that is Chromeo's style.
You either like it or not!

Hot Mess is brilliant, used in Soccer AM, this is where I first heard it and looked it up. You won't be disappointed with this album.
on 11 October 2010
If Chromeo set out to show how their creativity dried-up and actually came to an almost instant stop then they've done a fine job of it. The first 4 tracks here are vintage Chromeo and all worth downloading, but what happens from 5 to 10 I was not expecting.

Initial Alarm bells started to ring on 'You Make It Rough' which is stretched beyond, way beyond, it's limit at over 7 minutes - no Chromeo tracks should be over 5 minutes, there isn't enough progression in the 80s sound for that.

I could see the smoke when awful female vocals came in on next track 'When The Night Falls' - the 80s at their worst, single handedly flipping Chromeo's cool elements to their evil opposite.

The fire engine arrived for 'Don't Walk Away', while the blaze was out of control by the time 'J'ai Claqué La Porte' had finished. 'The Right Type' suggested that Chromeo weren't coming out of this alive, and with album closer 'Grow Up' the soaked, charred remains were all that was left of one of my favourite acts of the last few years.

Still, I have 2 albums (She's In Control & Fancy Footwork) and the 1st 4 tracks here (Hot Mess, I'm Not Contagious, Night By Night, Don't Turn The Lights On) to remember them by. Sniff.
3 people found this helpful