on 24 April 2010
In 2001 Hope Sandoval released an album under the banner Hope Sandoval and the Warm Inventions. Bizarrely, it was entitled Bavarian Fruit Bread and largely featured a collaboration with Colm O'Ciosoig, ex-drummer with the wonderful My Bloody Valentine. There's minimal percussion here though. The sound of the album, while not a major departure for Sandoval, was a lot more stripped back than Mazzy Star, featuring a lot more acoustic guitar and touches of cello, bells, harmonica and xylophone here and there. Hope sounds totally unenthused, but in an utterly bewitching way.

The album begins with Drop, a Jesus and Mary Chain cover (she used to go out with William Reid) and Hope's voice is centre stage over a strummed acoustic guitar. It's followed up by the narcoleptic Suzanne. This and Butterfly Mornings are perfect sunny Sunday morning music. On the Low picks up the pace a bit and reminds me slightly of less cringe-y Serge Gainsbourg (without the male vocals). Feeling of Gaze doesn't quite work. Hope's singing is great but the cello and piano competes rather than complements leaving the track sounding disjointed.

The stronger melodies are actually backweighted towards the second half of the album. Charlotte is another sleepily graceful track, while Clear Day is a quiet triumph. The vocals here are particularly enticing, lines like "gonna take all your troubles, gonna send them away"wouldn't work with other singers but they suit perfectly here. Around My Smile is probably the strongest track, a slow-burning torch song with Hope Sandoval at her most alluring. The chorus is like a ridiculous come-on, the line is "I got going on". Writing about it doesn't do it justice. The final track is an extended shoe-gazey type piece, Lose Me On The Way.

Avoid this album at all costs if you prefer rockier stuff or like your music to actually go anywhere.
on 21 September 2004
This is a caution to Mazzy Star fans...don't expect to fall as much in love with The Warm Inventions! I am a devout fan of Mazzy Star's music and I bought Bavarian Fruit Bread hoping for another entrancing album. Although nothing can ruin the magical vocals, I can't pretend I wasn't disappointed by the majority of the songs. Hope Sandoval's powers of enchantment, that made Mazzy Star so compelling, seem diluted by the influence of outsiders...

Having said that, there are songs that are worth picking out, especially Clear Day, Butterfly Mornings and the title track Bavarian Fruit Bread, and after that the enigmatically instrumental Baby Let Me. But the rest left little impression on me at all. In spite of appealing lyrics, on the whole I found the songs emotionally and musically bland.

Others have evidently had better experiences with the album than me - of course everyone's interpretation is different - but this review may be of interest to unwitting Mazzy fans with high expectations.
on 10 August 2014
I have always liked Mazzy Star since my son played them to me, Hope's voice is really soothing and this is every bit as good as Mazzy Star
on 28 July 2005
This album is really good,especialy if you liked the old mazzy star. Hope is back and hot as ever. i was personaly disapointed with the last mazzy star album but this here makes me a beliver again.
on 22 May 2015
cd as expected very good received today price sticker stuck on digypak case can not get it off without damageing it thank you for that no need for you to do that D Aughton
on 4 February 2016