Customer reviews

on 3 January 2013
[...]

i picked this book at random as i couldnt decide what to read next..
i'm glad i did choose it..

183 pages long so a pretty quick read really, but a great story line, and good ending.. the first book i've read by this author and i will be looking out for more...
on 13 April 2012
The book is about a series of killings of prostitutes in London. Two detectives Grant and Carroll are investigating. They have been put together to work as nobody else will work with them. Grant is by the book, whilst Carroll has a reputation of being a wildcard. A lot of cliches are used in this book and it can be quite obvious sometimes that this is one of the author's first novels. There is a slight American feel to some parts of the book regarding the makeup of the police department, but the process of examining the evidence seemed quite authentic.
That being said, I really enjoyed it. It wasn't the most challenging of reads but the characters rang true, and some of the use of language was impressive and bodes well for the future. I was disappointed how short the novel was, I finished it in one day. I would be interested in reading any sequels to this novel and seeing how this author progresses.
on 29 February 2012
I hate it when I read " I couldn't put this book down" because I always find myself let down. However, in this case If I had read that sentence about "Death Call" I would have had to agree with it. I was hooked on it from the start. It has pace throughout and vivid descriptions of both the crimes and the two totally different people who, by virtue of their job, have to work together to solve them. it's a very readable crime novel and, personally, I found it almost a throwback to the likes of John Creasey. If you like a decent 'tec book get this one. One quibble, a couple of the(thankfully short) sex scenes could have been omitted without any detriment to the book. I am looking forward to reading the next one in the series.
on 18 July 2012
Having been reading 'female' literature for a week, I started on this and I was hooked, couldn't put it down. Yes, the main detective is a bit of a cliche,and together with his sidekick, they made very literary stereotyres. Despite that,I still wanted to read more......
on 9 March 2013
Cant actually recall reading this yet, but it arrived promptly with very little fuss. I look forwards to getting round to it
on 27 February 2014
Not a bad police thriller, but thin on detail and character development. Readable and enjoyable otherwise. The end was not inspiring, more like an afterthought...
on 8 September 2016
Thanks, a good read
on 26 March 2013
Very involved story lots of twists and turns a maze of mystery and mayhem thank you worth every penny spent
on 24 March 2012
This is the first book I have ever given up on. I've tried, and tried some more, but - no.

I can't even be bothered to look at the end and see who did it. I struggled through the first load of Americanisms, but was floored by 'Fallbottom'. You'll know what I mean if you get there.

I have no issue with American-style language, in an Amercian setting. Oh, and if I'm expecting it. If the author expects readers to believe that this is actually set in London with British characters, they fail.

I can safely say that this has now been 'removed from device'.
on 18 April 2012
This is OK if you've got nothing better to read. The characters are a bit formulaic and although nicely written it could not be described as a "page turner". There is a lot of detective crime fiction out there and much of it is better than this but it will cost you money!