Showing 1-10 of 1,455 reviews(5 star). See all 2,324 reviews
on 25 June 2017
As an author, myself, I found Emma Donaghue's novel, Room intriguing. It was the choice made by the Book Club I lead and, without exception when we met to discuss it, we agreed that we had thoroughly enjoyed the book! Nevertheless, at least two of us admitted to having reached a point when we'd seriously wondered where the book was going, and nearly gave up reading. Fortunately, we were saved in the nick of time by a plot development and a change in tempo.
AN ENGAGING MAIN CHARACTER
Writing from the Point of View of a five year old boy, Jack, the author, Emma Donaghue, shows remarkable observation. An engaging and endearing child, it soon becomes apparent that Jack is either very knowledgeable, or of above average intelligence. With only two characters on page for the first half of the book, you might think that dialogue would be lacking - but you'd be wrong.
WRITING BRILLIANT DIALOGUE
With a narrative that includes Jack's observation of some ants which: "Ma splatted . . . so they wouldn't eat our food. One minute they were alive and the next minute they were dirt," and his reaction: "I cried so my eyes nearly melted off," who could fail to be charmed. Emma Donaghue's perception of a five-year old's thought and speech patterns was excelled only by her writing techniques. In all, a great choice.
review image
VINE VOICEon 2 January 2012
I didn't have any expectations of this book when I downloaded it. I was looking for an easy read which had a few good reviews - my criteria was very basic! However, it was an absolute delight to read.
The main plot is based around a young boy Jack, who is the child of a kidnap victim. Jack has lived in his entire life in the small shed where the kidnapper keeps his Mother and himself. "Room" is his world, and he has no comprehension of anything that exists outside of "Room". Slowly but surely he starts to gain a basic awareness of life outside of "Room", and as the story unravels, he finds himself having to learn to function in the wider world.

One of the reasons for the success of the book is the voice of the storyteller that Donoghue has managed to capture.
Jack has the eloquence of someone much older than his 5 years, but due to his predicament, the naivety of a newborn. He's incredibly cute (in both senses of the word), but at times, bratty and annoying. The characterisation of Jack in particular highlights how confused and upside-down this little boy's world is.

I will definitely be looking out for more novels by this author.
on 6 May 2017
I hadn't seen the movie so had only minimum expectations of the plot.
And..... I was completely hooked from the start. It has such an easy flow to it that I found myself setting deadlines to stop reading for now, and then giving myself another five pages, and a bit more and a bit more.

Read it and you will do the same I'm sure.
on 15 March 2017
This is a beautifully written and truly amazing book. I read it immediately after watching the film which I found very absorbing and touching. I thoroughly recommend both.
on 13 April 2017
Couldnt put it down. Was awake till 4. Brilliant book. Just finished this morning. So sad but thought provoking. Follow up would be great!!
on 26 February 2016
We read this as a book club and all loved it. The film was very sympathetic to the book but it can't beat the intensity of reading the story. Well written, complete page-turner and it will have your heart racing. Have a box of tissues at the ready!
on 26 April 2017
Wow, not often would I say this is a must-read but this one is. An original and amazing story, very believable in a sense. Second half maybe could have gone somewhere but maybe that would haven something away. Memorable.
on 11 March 2016
Life through the eyes of a boy who spent the first five years of his life in a room. Due to the fact his mother was kidnapped and held prisoner. Fantastic read. Highly recommend.
on 25 March 2017
This has been a very enjoyable read. I've got completely hooked into this book and found it so difficult to put down. Recommended without a doubt and now I'm looking forward to watching the movie
on 5 May 2017
I think hearing from the little boy's point of view made this quite difficult for me to read however I am glad I preserved eventually. A good psychological thriller.