1,786
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£6.99

on 14 October 2015
This book is about Alice who has early on set dementia. She's a professional, she gives lectures, she is highly regarded but her life is changing dramatically due to her diagnosis and she is struggling to cope. Her husband doesn't know how to treat her and seems to be burying his head in his work and all the while Alice is feeling more and more alone.

This is an amazing story which highlights the lack in facilities for younger people who have dementia. It is not just an old persons' disease and it's difficult to imagine what it must be like to have such a diagnosis so young.

I really liked that this book made me think about how this illness must affect everyone and how frightening it is. I highly recommend this book and would love to hear more from Lisa Genova in future.
on 13 May 2017
A very informative book very well written factually and covering all the problems of alzheimers.. My main critism is that the characters were a highly intelligent rich family and could afford to pay to resolve many of the problems of caring for Alice with a happy ending. Not Often the case and caring for a Alzheimer's patients in the family is a long, hard, stressful journey whIch I didn't feel was reflected on this book.
on 11 August 2015
This book is first class; well written and insightful. It relates one woman's journey with early onset Alzheimer's and is moving and, as far as I can tell, honest and truthful about how this awful disease affects the mind. I was not surprised to discover that Lisa Genova has a PhD in Neuroscience or that her research involved many conversations with people with early onset Alzheimer's. There was an authority about the writing that made it totally and scarily believable. It should possibly be compulsory reading for hospital and care home staff. I cannot recommend it too highly.
on 3 August 2015
I wasn't sure about this book I found the first few chapters a bit boring. So glad I stuck with it. If it's anything to go by I now understand Alzheimer's and hope I never get it. It's a fantastic read and it parts made me cry. Highly recommend anyone to read this.
on 11 April 2017
really helps you to imagine both what its like to have Alzheimer's and to be related to someone with the condition. thoughtful read
on 9 April 2014
Got this last July when it was on Kindle Daily Deal. Well worth reading even though it is a very sad story, gets you involved with all the characters and I loved Alice, such a strong determined woman. I would recommend this book and it gives you an insight into such a terrible disease.
on 3 September 2015
This book was a real look into this terrible disease ,having looked after my husband who has Alzheimers and VaScular Dimentia I could relate to his stoty ma book we written
on 15 February 2015
Literally heartbreaking but as someone with a Father that has this cruel disease I had to read it. Very sad, very true to those unfortunate enough to be going through it. Very good book.
on 26 March 2017
A page turner, very moving a lovely heartbreaking family story. Gave an amazing perspective on Alzheimer's .
on 2 March 2015
A moving book which should be made compulsory for all school children to read as it is an amazing insight to Alzheimer's disease.
A great learning curve.