Customer reviews

The Union
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 18 September 2010
As a long time Thunder fan, i picked this up after downloading 'Step up to the Plate' earlier this year.
Initially I was listening to this in the car while I did my morning commute so I can't claim to have given it my total attention, and thus was not completely blown away.
However, now after having lived with the CD for a week or two, it's probably right up there as my album of the year, and the reason is simple, it's quality stuff.
A great singer, and a very talented Guitarist, who are obviously enjoying what they do immensely, have produced a proper album with a great bluesy sound and a laid back, bar room vibe.
Standout tracks for me are 'Holy Roller' and 'This Time Next Year' though i don't think there is a duff song in the bunch.
Missed them playing live nearby unfortunately, but I certainly won't next time.
I'll say it again, quality stuff, and I for one, can't wait for the next one....
on 22 August 2010
Sun Jun 28 2009 3.51 pm on the Thunderonline Fans Forum, Luke Morley posts a message. Included in the message is this: "Well.....I'd like to give you all a little taster of the new band project I'll be working on with my great friend and long-time collaborator (who a few of you will already be familiar with), PETER SHOULDER." The Union were official.....

Some free downloads followed to test the water and get Fans' feedback. Then the debut gig at The Garage 15 December 2009 where Luke and Peter (despite their wealth of experience) nervously aired what was to come. (If you buy the edition with the Bonus DVD you'll get an idea of the experience.) More live dates followed during the spring of 2010 and momentum gathered until the album release date 23 August - Ladies and Gentlemen, Girls and Boys....The Union.

I can't find a bad track on here and defy you to do so. Through acoustic and driving bluesy rock, Peter's fantastic voice is to the fore over sublime layers of guitar work from both our Heroes. There are too many great tracks to single out just one, in this collection of 12 mini-masterpieces, but my current favourites are Easy Street, You Know My Name, Amazon and the stunning Lillies. Ask me again in ten minutes and I'll tell you different.

A brilliant debut album. Add it to your collection, you won't be disappointed.
on 24 September 2010
I heard "Watch The River Flow" on Planet Rock - I did a double take as it sounded to me like something David Coverdale might have recorded on one of his solo projects. So I brought the album thinking I'd give it a whirl. I'd heard of Thunder but can't say I am familiar with any material. What a great decision to buy - there are no weak tracks, with a range of heavier numbers (You Know My Name) to more melodic ones (Come Rain, Come Shine). I've been brought up on a diet of Deep Purple, Whitesnake / Coverdale etc, but I absolutlely love this - it's not been off the ipod since I bought it. Buy it.
on 16 October 2010
I got this on impulse when buying the Black Country Communion CD and this is the one I'm playing the most so far. It has a great bluesy rocking feel, but with good variety and avoids the trap of being formulaic. The playing is excellent and the singing is very soulful - reminds me a bit of David Coverdale. Mine came with a terrific bonus DVD filmed at their first live gig. Worth twice the price!
on 4 November 2010
Wow!! I bought this album based on the reviews I had read here and I am blown away. A must for any blues, rock fan. It is the best debut album I have ever heard. It's not been out of my CD player for over a week, and there isn't one weak track on it. The Union might just have a problem when it comes to releasing a 2nd album...I doubt it though.
on 11 September 2010
Wasn't sure what to expect when I bought this as didn't know too much about The Union (although familiar with the songs of Thunder) but from the first play I KNEW this was a great purchase. The album is a mixed=pace set of rock and blues, great guitar work and spot-on vocal performance. Favourite tracks at the minute are Easy Street, Lilies and Holy Roller but ask me tomorrow and they'll be different as can't find a dull song yet! If you're in two minds about this, just go ahead as you won't regret it.
on 28 September 2010
Well what more can I add to the reviews already posted. This is a brilliant debut album from The Union and for those of you not familiar with the work of Pete Shoulder (ex Winterville) I beg you to unearth a copy of Winterville's 'Everything in Moderation' album, as this is also a little gem.

The collaboration with Luke Morley (ex Thunder) is genius and having now seen them live it just gets better, so catch them while you can, you won't regret it. Enjoy!
on 20 February 2011
This is one of my favourite newly discovered albums. It is such a strong disc because there is no weak song. The quality of songwriting is top notch and the voice, oh my Lord, the voice Peter Shoulder has...amazing. Although young, Shoulder has a great maturity in his vocals. Songs like Saviour or Holy Roller are destined to become clssics of the genre. I bought this album. You should do it too!
on 23 September 2010
I cannot emphasise enough how much of a terrific debut album this is.Every track is a stand out.If you do not own this CD make it youre purpose in life to obtain a copy.Pete's voice, coupled with Luke's guitar playing and the lyrics make it an outstanding debut.Going to see them live at Glasgow Cathouse on the 29th September and have no doubt that live they will bring the CD to life even more.
on 28 January 2011
Only got it because I was already buying Hovercraft Pirates album, didn't expect too much. Brilliant album and the DVD is quality as well!