Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Alice Cooper Shop now Fitbit

Customer reviews

on 25 June 2012
I bought this to capture a lot of screen images from both cameras and TV and other peripheral devices - and even bought a new USB3.0 VAIO laptop (state of the art). Guess what - VAIO laptops are not supported, but there is no documentation or device lists to be seen anywhere on anyones websites (even Black Magics)..! I did some digging, and read a lot of forums and then discovered that the number of devices that are in fact supported are incredibly limited, and I didn't really stand any kind of chance. I contacted Black Magic to find out if/when my new VAIO would be supported, but they had no idea, and their support staff could only suggest I return the device for a refund - leaving me once again without a device that can do the work I require - so if anyone has any good suggestions/ideas for what device I can use for screen capture/screen recording - I would be most grateful.!
on 27 April 2017
Works great. Using it with Wirecast 7 and OBS for YouTube and Facebook Live streaming. All good so far
on 11 February 2013
I and several others have tried unsuccessfully to get this to work on something as basic as adobe live encoder. It may be suitable for video capture for video editing but as a high end replacement for a USB dazzle for live streaming it was a complete failure.
on 12 October 2013
unless you are 100% sure you have the correct usb card in your desktop avoid

i have a top of the range asus laptop, intel i7, all usb 3 posrts wouldnt work,. would be nice if they made it siple to see if your rig worked with it before you purchased without having to thrawl through their crappy site to find out it wont work after youve purchased it.

WASTE OF TIME
on 11 November 2011
I did a bit of research before buying this and the advice seemed to be that you need a fairly powerful up to date machine which supports USB3.0 then you're sorted.

My spec is
Motherboard - ASUS P8Z68-V (this has native USB3.0)
processor - Intel i7-2600 (3.4ghz quad core)
GPU - Nvidia GeForce 560ti 2gb
RAM - 8gb
This is a fairly high spec machine at the time of writing this.

It seems though that black magic only support a very small list of specific motherboards which are all a bit out of date by now and if you haven't got one of those then it's just pot luck as to whether it will work or not. So what you actually need is a machine that's a few years old that was top spec in it's day. As for blackmagic support you can forget it, it's non-existent. Having looked around some forums trying to get this sorted it seems that even people who have the correct motherboards are having problems as well. The unit itself looks and feels very low quality and cheaply made indeed. It's like a cheapo piece of perspex with some ports glued onto the bottom, there's not even any lights to indicate whether it's on or connected or anything.

If I'd paid £150 for something that worked really well without any hassle then would have considered it a bit steep but just about worth it. £150 for this piece of junk is an absolute joke. Thank goodness Amazon have a returns policy.
on 6 September 2012
This is a good quality capture device but very picky about the USB3 hardware it runs on. It is also touchy on the getting things installed in the right order and with the latest drivers. To capture and record in anything greater than SD PAL resolution you need to have a pretty good disk drive and I am going to fit a fast SSD drive soon to make higher resolutions possible. I am using it with ADOBE Flash Media Live Encoder and this is the first capture device that works with video and audio without crashing FMLE.

It does come with a pice of capture software for PC but I have not really played with that yet.

It was pure chance that I bought the Samsung rf711 and that the Intensity Shuttle USB3 works with it.
on 4 May 2015
For component capture the Intensity Shuttle provides acceptable results. The provided software is extremely poor and configuring the device is cumbersome (half the configuration is in the Control Panel, half in the capture software) but it works. If you have Premiere available then capturing component inputs is fairly easy and the results not half bad.

The problem is that the Intensity Shuttle is incompatible with almost all HDMI inputs. Even the cheapest capture device is more tolerant of inputs than this. Compared to top end USB 3 capture devices like the XCapture, the Shuttle is a toy. Even professional HDMI signal generators (such as the VP30) can't produce output that the Shuttle will accept. I've tried a dozen different HDMI sources (none of which have HDCP enabled) and the Shuttle can't capture a single one.
on 31 July 2012
I have a dell xps 15 with 2630QM processor with 6GB of memory and it seems to work ok.
First I had to update to the latest Renesas (previously NEC) USB 3 driver and firmware which was a real pain because windows kept refusing to accept the new driver.
I found a way around this problem.

Next problem was that I did not realise that there was copy protection (called HDCP) on some HDMI outputs (like from PS3 or HDMI output from computer, etc).
There is a way around this protection by buying a DVI to HDMI converter.
But I did not try this yet. Such gadgets can cost upto 100 pounds.

I tried to sample the output from my Sony Cybershot camera via its HDMI output.
I played a 40 second full HD (1080i 59.94) clip with no compression.
I got a 5 GB file with video data rates of 1MB/s and this loaded my Quad Core CPU by 20%.
The pictures look quite sharp.

The file on the camera is 70MB MTS. So clearly MTS is a compression rate of at least 70x.
I can't see any way of getting the intensity shuttle to compress (to MTS, etc) before it saves to disk.
So I suspect a lot of lengthy video post processing is required to compress the saved files.
on 11 April 2013
Tried this device on a number of motherboards and it works for a few captures then falls over to black screen or freezes the PC. Definitely one to avoid.
on 14 May 2012
I bought this capture card to record and stream from both my xbox 360 and my nintendo wii, and I can say that I am very pleased with the quality of both hd and sd.

I had quite a few problems trying to install the device (mainly because I didn't read the requirements properly) and I didn't realise that my motherboard wasn't listed as compatible. I have the Asus P8Z68-V pro motherboard and the on-board usb 3.0 slots WILL NOT WORK with the intensity shuttle. So I purchased a NEC controlled usb 3.0 pcie card, installed it with the latest drivers and the device worked fine after playing about with some of the settings.