on 3 December 2010
This was a gift for my boyfriend who considers himself a Northern Soul guru. He thought the tracks were many of the best, listened to it on his drive home and so he's happy and at such a reasonable price-that's a bargain!
on 15 April 2012
I've been abroad for a while but recently got back and picked this up. I first started going to Reading Old Soul Society nights in 1982 and whilst I never made it to Wigan (too young) I love this comp because there's an impressive number of great tracks here. Yes I was around when Frank Wilson's originally withdrawn, subsequently bootlegged, Do I Love You soundtracked a KFC ad and to be honest I was happy to hear that because such a great record got aired to millions of people at that point and I'm sure touched many. But this comp also digs much deeper and consequently there are some serious cuts here by The Dells (a Terry Callier written and produced epic no less), Eddie Holman and The Originals again bootlegged classic Suspicion. For £4 this is a great album and don't let anyone tell you otherwise, they're probably just some bitter twisted northern soul snob.
on 20 January 2011
I saw this on Amazon's recomendations based on my purchase history, along with many other Northern Soul compilations. I could of bought the lot, but I went for this one to add to my collection based on the value it gave for my hard earned dosh! WHAT A RESULT! Apart from the obvious classics such as Tainted Love, The Night, Do I Love You and Landslide, the real gem in this compilation is the spectacular sounding Nothing But A Heartache by The Flirtations, this is worth buying just for this track alone. This gets a five from me as it is fantastic value for money. It's not only cheap, but there are load of great tracks.
on 13 February 2014
Been looking for years for the perfect, authentic and up-beat NS collection, this is it, look no further! It's got everything I need to hear (the obvious but essential Tainted Love, Ghost in my House, Landslide...) and more - how good is Stormy? I'm back in the Seventies, I'm dacing, and I'm happy! CD in the post, MP3 straight to my iPhone, what more can I ask.Thank you Amazon.
on 20 October 2011
This is a good compilation for those who are curious, due to the KLC use of Frank Wilson's Do I love You. Personally it would be pointless buying it myself, as I have all the tracks on other compilations, some on vinyl. the Marlena Shaw vocal of the Ramsey Lewis classic instrumental, lets Wade In the Water is a different recording to the single issued on Chess, as it is much clearer and a slower tempo. All in all though a reasonable intro to the genre
on 5 January 2011
First foray into Northern Soul.

My impression is that it is like raw Motown. Took a couple of run throughs until I started to appreciate style. Then played it non stop until I felt like a change. I am old enough to remember the buzz of NS but not to have been part of it.

I have an eclectic music collection and am happy to have this in there.

Only niggle is that the music info on the actual disc files bears no relation to the tracks.
on 26 February 2013
Many thanks.

We were all dancing to it all night long.

We had a great night.

With kind regards,

Trish
on 17 February 2013
Excellent compilation which includes inset literature giving a brief overview of each track and it's place in the Great Northern Soul canon. I particularly wanted the Frankie Valli track, but for any newcomer to Northern Soul this would be an easy introduction to TheFaith
on 4 December 2013
Good value CD containing many classics found on numerous compilations. I was particularly pleased to see "Stormy" by Diana Ross and the Supremes and "I Got The Fever" by The Prophets, as these are not often found on compilations. Excellent selection.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 September 2012
I chose this disc originally to use when driving but have listened to it that often now that i will soon have to buy a replacement!I was suprised by some of the tracks,(Stormy - Diana Ross and Wade in the Water - Marlena Shaw) but as with any compilation there will always be weaker tracks.I would recommend this disc to anyone delving into Northern Soul for the first time.