on 12 January 2018
These are strong warm gloves. They are well made and the material is a bit heavier than the Mammut equivalents but the Mammuts have the massive advantage that you can also peel back the thumb tip which makes a huge difference for stuff like tying laces, handling change, using a smartphone, working a combination bike lock and in my case - checking paraglider lines. The Mammuts also have wee loops between the fingers for pulling the gloves off your hands. Also the magnetic buttons on the Marmots that hold the mitten section back when not in use are not strong enough and the mittens keep flapping forward and getting in the way, Magnets are a nice idea but the Mammuts use velcro which works much better. If I was buying another pair I would spend more and get the Mammuts as they are much more practical.
One person found this helpful
on 22 December 2015
Lets get to the good stuff first, they fit well, they are really warm, I like the leather on the palm, as a glove to keep you hands warm they are without fault however.....

The whole purpose of these gloves is to allow you to remove the top and have use of your fingers, this they do but not very well. The main issue is the top flap around once they are removed from fingers, there are magnets which in theory hold the top finger part against the back of your hand, and if you don't use your hand they do, but as soon as you move your hand the finger cover comes loose and flaps around, the problem is simply that the magnets are not powerful enough, for me this is a show stopper, the main reason you would get these gloves is to have unhindered access to your fingers and these gloves fail completely on that front (I use them to pick up my dog mess, imagine the top part flapping around whilst trying to collect the mess !), also they are impossible to get off, there are no loops that help you pull them off.

My advise is get gloves with Velcro instead of magnets, these are rubbish
2 people found this helpful
on 10 December 2011
For about 15 years I have used another brand of convertible glove employing windstopper material and they are getting to the useful end of their life. I could not source a replacement from the same company, but whilst searching on Amazon I was delighted to come across the Marmot brand, which seemed to be offering the same usefulness and ability. And they do. The material, if anything, seems marginally thicker, and a nice touch is the flip over mitten portion is held in place by a small magnet, rather than velcro, which I found can snag knitted materials.

The clue to the effectiveness of these fingerless convertible gloves is in the word "windstopper". And they do what it says - it is almost impossible for cold wind to penetrate them, so your hands stay remarkably warm even in sub-zero temperatures.

The accepted opinion is that mittens, generally, are the warmer design than traditional gloves, other things being equal. However, mittens are not very user friendly where you need to retain a high degree of finger flexibility, such as using a camera. Having to completely remove both mittens in order to use my cameras is really a no-no.

I have found that walking around in temperatures down to -10C (they should afford protection below this, but I can not comment on this personally) windstopper material keeps my hands comfortably warm where, for the most part, I use them in "mitten mode" and only flip over the mitten portion when required to use my cameras. Because my hands up to the first joint of every finger (the thumbs are permanently covered up) are always covered, the cold to which my fingers are briefly exposed is barely noticed and the rest of my hands don't get any chance to cool down.

They have real leather palms to aid gripping.

Other than my old pair of windstopper gloves, before alighting on these Marmots I had tried other types using a well known insulation material, but I found these were not that efficient at keeping out chill winds and I felt I'd wasted my money.

I don't know if you believe £30 is expensive for a pair of convertible gloves, but when you consider they WORK, it is definitely a price worth paying, and from Amazon, the price includes free delivery.
6 people found this helpful
on 5 January 2018
great for photography, i used this with the latest snow "storm" that hit the UK. Took out my camera with these and i wore a very thin base layer glove. I was kept warm the whole time with no issues and at the same time was able to take photos easily.
One person found this helpful
on 16 February 2018
With silver lined (for phone access) or thermal liners and a heat pad these did the job for sitting in -4 Norwegian aurora watching.
They are bulky and like other reviews the flaps don't do well at keeping to their magnet. However, in Norway rarely unflapped!
Also, extremely small. But they do stretch when yanked!
on 23 August 2016
Great pair of wind-breaking gloves, I've had them for over 2 years and wear them often. I sometimes find that the wrist elastic is a little too tight for me, and I wouldn't pick up snow with these gloves as they will get in the gap between the 'mitten-cover' part and your fingers. But all-in-all, a great purchase and would definitely recommend!
on 7 February 2016
Brilliant product. Very warm and ingenious design. Magnetic clasps are not meant hold firmly in place, just strong enough so that the mittens do not hinder the wearer when using as fingerless.
Highly recommended.
on 22 May 2018
Okay gloves - but I would recommend standar fleece gloves versus wind proof as itll offer similar protection
on 3 May 2017
A little small and the magnets are useless, but overall pretty good.
on 25 February 2013
i use these when i walk my mutts(3 labs) great for keeping warm and great when mitts are off for clipping and unclipping their leads and getting treats out of my pocket. they are really warm and well made. well worth the money.

See one answered question