TOP 500 REVIEWERon 9 May 2016
This Fuji camera is very good at producing 3D images. If you're after a 3D camera, then I recommend it. I've been using this camera for over 2 years, and have taken some great 3D shots with it.

It can take photos in standard 2D - but, in this mode, the camera is no different from any other (and if you're after a standard digital camera then I'd recommend something else). It can take both photos and film in 3D - and it's here that this camera is quite amazing.

The camera itself is rather tiny and compact (it'll easily fit into a jacket or coat pocket). It's very simple to use ... just slide the front screen down, and it turns on. It has a large - 3.5" - LCD screen, on which you can review your images in 3D. It comes with a built-in flash (and has no hot-shoe for an external flash gun).

It has a 10 megapixel sensor, and - while you can set certain features yourself - everything is intended to operate on automatic.

It functions by taking two images simultaneously - and overlaying these, to create a 3D image. And the results are wonderful. Of course, you have to take a photo that suits a 3D image - i.e. there has to be depth to the shot being taken. It works best if you're shooting something that's at least 1m away, and up to 10m away.

While this item is, in and of itself, a decent 3D camera - capable of producing fantastic images - the problem is that you can't simply print these photos out at home or at the local supermarket. Rather, you have to use Fuji's own printing services ... you send-in your images (via their website) and they send you the printed photos.

3D prints are available via Fuji in a choice of 3 sizes:

7 x 5 inches / 179 x 127 mm @ £4.29 each
9 x 6 inches / 229 x 152 mm @ £4.99 each
3 x 2.25 inches / 76 x 58 mm @ £4.28 for four

So the largest 3D photo you can have is a 9" by 6". While this is a reasonable size, it is rather costly (as compared to standard 2D photo prints).

Overall, if you're after a 3D camera then this is a great item ... but it does have ongoing costs, and print restrictions.
on 20 June 2012
Pros:
Foolproof simple point-and-shoot 3D pictures and movies
Lots of options for the enthusiast
3 x optical zoom and a decent lens
Substantial and not 'plasticky'

Cons:
LCD viewfinder is difficult to see in bright sunlight. No optical viewfinder.
Needs a class-10 SD card to avoid video stutter
Needs a firmware update to store a useful amount of hi-def 3D video (20 minutes) on a 16GB card

General review:
This is an easy camera to use and produces good results in 3D and 2D both stills and movies using 'full-auto' mode. I would have loved this camera to record my children growing up (they have already grown up now!) I did see my grandchildren though the other day, and the W3 captured the day in flawless 3D stills and movies. So totally recommended as a family 3D point-and-shoot camera.

For subjects within 6-20 feet (2-5m) the default 3D settings with auto-parallax are perfect. For landscapes, where the 3D effect is less pronounced, the W3 has a neat feature whereby you can take a shot, move a bit to your right, and use the 'ghost' image of the first to line up the second shot of the stereo pair. Providing you lined up the nearest subject in the picture correctly, the W3 automagically makes a single 3D landscape picture with a great sense of depth.

Unfortunately, this and other neat features are marred by having to use the reflection-prone LCD screen, which is pretty-much unusable outdoors on a sunny day, even when 'boosted' via a button on the back. If the W3 had a supplementary optical viewfinder, it would have got the full 5-star rating here. The LCD is fine for indoor work, and displays convincing 3D photos and movies without the need to wear special glasses.

3D movies can be made in a variety of resolutions, from 640px to full HD. Note: Fuji have released a firmware update (1.2) that enables and extra '3D HD Economy mode' This gives nearly twice the runtime for a 3D HD movie. Via the mini-HDMI socket and 1.4-standard (not included) cable it will output SBS or interlaced to a 3D television. There is a mini-HDMI to normal HDMI adapter included in the box. Movies are stored in AVI format (3D) or mpeg format (2D)

I ordered this camera along with the leather carry case, 2 x 16GB class 10 SD cards and a spare battery. I would recommend doing the same to get the best from your W3.

Battery life is modest - I needed the 2nd battery and the spare SD card to cover a single day's shooting. There are economy options available, but with no optical viewfinder the large colour LCD is like an open tap gushing power away. It's possible to turn the LCD off if you are really desperate, but framing shots would be hit-and-miss.

The supplied software (FinePix) took about an hour to install on Windows XP as it kept updating and rebooting, but the wait was worth it, as there are many useful functions to complement the camera and 3D photos in general.

Conclusions
If you want this camera to be like a modern point-and-shoot but with the extra 3D dimension available - it is a good choice. With the lower prices (at time of review) it is actually a bargain.

If you already have an SLR for 'serious' photography, the W3 is the ideal companion for snapshots and holidays, with enough options and modes available to experiment with 3D photography, and decent 2D quality too.
16 people found this helpful
on 29 September 2013
This camera does just what it claims it does - takes 3D photographs as easily as any other digital camera. My first shot with the camera impressed me. The view screen is far better than I expected it to be. I've been fascinated by 3D photography since I was a kid in the 1960's when I had a Viewmaster for one of my birthdays.

The camera is smaller than anticipated and it is important to make sure ones fingers don’t obscure the lens (particularly the left one corresponding to one’s left eye). I soon got used to this. There appears to be no danger of getting one’s fingers on the lens even if one forgets the caution.

One does still need to gain experience with the camera to get the best from it. Nevertheless my first ever shots with my W3 still impress me a month later. The more photos I take however the more experience I get. It seems to be that ‘experience’ is what counts with 3D photography. My results tell me that a lot of such experience has been imbued in this camera.

Output may be viewed on the W3’s own screen as you probably know. However I have worked out that I can put the SDHC card into a card reader and upload the files into my PS3 using Photo Gallery (I can’t get my PS3 to recognise my W3 connected via the supplied USB for some reason). On the PS3, Photo Gallery can be told to import all the files (2D Jpeg + 3D MPO). On the PS3 when in Photo Gallery, press the green Triangle button to call up the ‘Menu’, select 2D/3D to turn 3D on and there you have it.

For sharing the photos, one will probably need specialist software. I use ‘Stereomerge’ to convert the MPO file (not the Jpeg) saved by the W3 to JPS format (side by side and viewed by slightly crossing one’s eyes - as per stereograms) or others. I intend to save the JPS files to Facebook. The native format by the camera is fine for my PS3 and LG Cinema 3D D4323 Monitor.

In use I have discovered that the closer to the subject one gets when taking the photograph, the further away from the display screen the better for viewing the 3D image. Alternatively one can look at the background for a few seconds then look at the foreground impart of the mage directly. One’s eye seem to adjust focal length after a second or two, following which the entire image is seems to appear more natural.

Overall, I’m really pleased with my W3. It is a good idea to buy a backup battery though as the charge only lasts a couple of hours. Don’t know about those screen protector films. I’ve experienced no trouble with the screen as is for the last month or so. It appears to be oleophobic, the same as my 2009 iPod. The iPod screen is still perfect today, so I won’t be considering the protective plastic right now in case it ruins the 3D effect (no review of the plastic screen protector mentions the W3’s screen.
4 people found this helpful
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 27 August 2015
Wish I had brought two of these when they were £99. Not only is it a good pocket camera, now I've got used to it and am thinking in 3D composition, it makes for brilliant - possibly the best - 3D images I've ever made. I've had this for just over a year and around 1000 3D images of note have been taken. I've used it professionally (I make interactive publications) and personally. My main fear is that it will suddenly die without warning; previous Fuji compacts have done this and there won't be much to replace it. Biggest issue is relatively short battery life, I now go out armed with four back-up batteries - experience says that once I get the low battery warning I probably have 4-5 shots left.
on 25 July 2012
This camera shoots 3d easily and with minimum effort on the user's part.

You do need to think about what to include/exclude in your 3d photos, but a bit of practice and experimentation soon sorts that out.

Although I've rated this 5 stars, there are a few negatives:

Battery life is short (but cheap replacements are available)
The screen is very difficult to see in strong daylight.
It's really easy to get a stray finger in the photo.
Only 3x zoom.

But, these are outweighed by the positives:

Excellent playback on the 3d screen.
Superb playback on 3d TV
Pocketable (this camera is NOT big and bulky, although some reviews suggest it is.)
Video quality is very good and in 3d. It's 720p video in HD - and this adds a whole new dimension to your videos. I've also used a Panasonic SD90 with a 3d lens attached, and in my opinion this small camera works much better in 3d.)
Comes with battery charger (not all digital cameras do)
It's genuine 3d - two lenses and so mimicking the human eye.
It's cheap (this camera was originally much dearer)
It gives you something to do with that expensive 3d telly, because let's face it there's not much 3d content out there!
It makes you look at your photos and videos in a whole new way. Even dull pictures become interesting in 3d.

I'd say go for it, if you have a 3d TV and like 3d images. Yes, it's a bit of a novelty, but it is so much fun seeing your pics and videos in 3d.
4 people found this helpful
on 22 September 2012
I have always been a 3d enthusiast and had promised myself to get a 3d still camera in a year or two. When I saw this one at a hugely discounted price, and saw that it was a Fuji, the same make as my now-ten-years-old-but-still-excellent conventional camera, I instantly took note, investigated, and decided to take the plunge:)

I am delighted! The camera is very easy to use, right from the word go, and the results have been wonderful: better than expected by far. In fact, this camera has changed me from the sort of person who only digs the camera out for holidays, to a "What can I photograph next?"

Now some useful imformation: taking 3d photos is not precisely like taking 2d photos: you need to have a care for the distancing of your subject. The twin lenses of the camera emulate your eyes, and are placed the same distance apart. The slight difference in viewpoint is what gives us 3d vision. It's brilliant for scenes in which the target is about 1 to 6 meters (3 to 20ft) away, but for distant objects, you won't see much difference in depth - because our own eyes don't! BUT! This clever little camera has a solution for enhancing the depth of distant scenes: it has the facility to allow you to snap the "left eye shot", move the camera, then take the "right eye shot" (You could for instance do this out of an aeroplane window, waiting a few seconds between shots). There is a similar trick that can be used for very close objects. The camera takes thoroughly decent 2d pictures too, and will film videos, both in 2 and 3d. As with any camera, experiment with a range of settings and distances before taking it out for a "real event":)

The glasses-free 3d screen on the camera is similar to a 3DS game: a little experiment and practice quickly determines where your eyes are best placed to view the 3d image - after a couple of shots, it was second nature. It can be switched to offer a 2d image if you'd rather. The display is quite bright, though I haven't yet tried it in bright sunlight (there hasn't been any!). Battery life (rechargeable, and the charger included will fit both UK and US sockets) is excellent. I shall probably get some additional batteries, but I've snapped away madly for over an hour without the need to recharge.

Give some thought to how you will view your 3d photos. There are four options available, but ideally, you'll already own a 3d television or monitor before you look at something like this (I have a 55" LG). The camera has a built-in mini hdmi socket, but you will need to purchase a cable to connect it to your tv. The results on a large hd tv were stunning! Option two is simply to use the camera itself, but that will be a bit limiting (though surprisingly good!). Option three is to purchase Fuji's 3d photo frame, but at the moment, I found this to be an expensive option - there are 3d monitors cheaper than this! The fourth option, which I haven't tried yet, is to take advantage of Fuji's 3d printing service: Fuji will produce postcard-sized stereograph prints.

All in all, I am delighted with the results I have achieved. I have yet to explore its more advanced functions, but fresh out of the box it delivers impressive results.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 18 October 2013
The fujifilm 3d w3 cam really adds a new dimension to photography. This is surely the way we will be taking pictures & watching tv in the future- when 3d will be viewable without wearing the specs. The front of the cam has a shutter that you pull up when you want to turn off, thus protecting the two 10mp lenses from dirt or damage. The 3d screen on the back is the real deal- proper 3d dimension that will impress all. Automatic mode is fine for most situations. Other modes include 'advanced 3d/2d, manual, aperture, programmed, anti blur & a double shot that takes a 'flash with & without' photograph. I was lucky enough to snap this up at £99 from amazon. If you have any interest in 3d photography/filming this camera will open your eyes. The software included is very basic but ok. 'Stereophotomaker' - freeware on google is a better & more useful software programme. The battery charge is another weakness & a couple spare are needed. The fuji 3d cam is highly rated on amazon.com (usa) & uk from purchasers scoring 4.5/5 = 9/10. If this is the future of photography i'm looking forward to it !
on 24 July 2012
Having experimented with stereophotography using various techniques (taking 2 photos with the same camera on a sliding rail, Loreo stereo lenses and the Minoru webcam) I decided to buy a modern pocket stereocamera, the Fuji Finepix W3; I already have a Fuji pocket camera (fortunately taking exactly the same battery) and had been impressed by its quality. The W3 is easy to use if set on automatic settings but it is extremely easy to get a finger in the way of one of the lenses without noticing when taking a photo, so it is important to hold the camera carefully and horizontally. The camera can take a 2D JPEG at the same time as the stereo MPO file and, although this uses more memory, it is handy when sorting out the photos on the computer; it can be changed to stereo only if you only have a small capacity SDHC card. To view the photos, many techniques are available: The simplest is using the camera's lenticular screen but this is small; the Fuji V3 viewer is a larger version (I bought one from Japan) and shows excellent stereo photos and videos but is expensive and has only a limited position to view the 3D effect. Fuji can print lenticular prints but, as these are expensive, printing would be limited to a few special photos. The supplied Finepix software shows, but cannot save, the photos in red/cyan anaglyph (cheap anaglyph glasses are readily available on eBay). Stereo Photo Maker (freeware) can also be used to convert the MPO files into various viewable or printable formats and it can save anaglyph versions; I have used this to put my stereo photos on Facebook after supplying my friends with the glasses! I have uploaded stereo video to YouTube using the supplied software, which uses an outdated 'tag' but this is easily sorted by choosing the correct settings from the YouTube menus. I haven't tried viewing on a 3D TV yet; this is possible using an HDMI connection and is probably the way ahead for stereophotography.

The Fuji W3 is an effective, easy to use camera and, because it can also take 10MP 2D pictures, can be used as a 'one-stop' way of taking holiday snaps and family photos. Stereophotography with the Finepix W3 is great fun but it needs some research, experimentation and careful attention to detail to obtain and display your 3D pictures.
on 30 December 2013
Does what it claims, and does it well. I bought a spare battery as one battery isn't really enough.
Got myself a perfectly fitting case, "ACME MADE" from my local Currys - around £15, and made in San Francisco!

The exposure control seems to do a better job than that on my other compact cameras, and I normally leave it on Auto. Viewing on my 3D 50" Panasonic Plasma HD TV is great, and 3D movie clips are also OK (Needed a faster card than I started with, but that was soon sorted. Movies are only shown via the HDMI cable - not by putting the card in to the TV's card slot.). Occasionally a shot doesn't work, and I guess that's where something is too close to the camera, but generally it does an excellent job.

So far, I haven't explored any of the none-3D features - such as using it as 2 cameras in one etc.

Didn't bother with it at the high initial price, but at around £150 it was great value.
on 2 May 2011
Only had this a few days and capturing initial impressions.
Overall the camera seems ok, Im being a little generous in giving it 4stars but thats cos I expect it to meet expectations once I get to know it a little better.
First, the 3D ...this really is quite good, the camera screen does a good job of displaying a 3D image without any glasses, a sharp vivid experience. However, just like with the 3DS there is a that couple of seconds where your eyes can go a bit funny until you learn to focus your eyes correctly. The couple of odd things I am experiencing about the 3D is (i) you have to remember to "half-press" the button before the 3D image focus' properly..odd at first but does make sense, (ii) at present I seem to be able to only record short 3D films of about 20secs..not sure why but will research this.
Also note that resolution quality does drop in 3D film mode, and you will need a good quality hdmi cable to make it work on the 3D TV. After viewing the 3D images on the camera and then on the samsung (with glasses) 3D tv I have to admit to preferring the camera glassless experience.
Now, the reason the camera is only an "ok" and not "great"...the 2D images (i.e. normal photography) aren't as good as my 3yr old Panasonic Lumix and the optical zoom is only 3x. Hence in this regard the Fuji W3 seems only average and thats a slight shame.
But I wanted it for the 3D novelty factor and so far its paying off and I wont complain yet until I get to learn the camera a bit more.