Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Arcade Fire Shop now Fitbit

on 19 July 2016
Kindle store is showing this at £9.99 but turns out this is the subscription price, go along with ordering it then you get the option to buy just this current week's edition for £3-something. Also says 'not available for digital download' on my tablet although reads fine using Kindle tablet app. Confusing website!
on 16 April 2017
i love The Economist but i subscribed to the digital package on the belief that i could download it onto my Kinddle.
the website and the promotion are pretty vague about that
i subsequently found that it is possible to download it through an App ( but it does not mention that it is only possible to do so with kindle Fire , which is of little use if one wants to read the magazine outdoors on a sunny day )

Can anyone confirm that i cannot download the economist on my proper Kindle e reader as opposed to a glaring tablet ?

However If we can, can anyone help with the procedure to follow ?

Thanking you in advance
on 8 December 2010
All you have to do is download the program Calibre, and in the "Fetch News" section, go to "English" where you'll find both The Economist and The Economist Free. Select "The Economist", enter your login details (e-mail address and password), and the program will download your issue and upload to your kindle (via USB) free of charge. No need to pay Amazon for the privilege.
2020 Comments| 539 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 September 2010
the economist is an excellent magazine but between amazon and the economist they have managed to come up with a price point that is too high. please please reconsider. we all want to subscribe...but at a reasonable price
on 7 September 2010
I agree with all the previous reviews, the price is horrendously expensive for an electronic version, more expensive than the magazine. The benefit for me was that it is electronic and I can then read it on any my kindle devices, but after subscribing I found out that magazine subscriptions can only be viewed on one device. Reading it on the kindle is great, but I am annoyed that I can't read it on my android phone as well. I don't always take the Kindle with me and would like to continue reading it on the odd occasion either on my phone or Ipad. It is also worth noting that you do not get access to the online content as you would get if you subscribe to the paper version of the economist. I feel a bit cheated that I pay more for the Kindle version and I get less of a subscription. I won't continue my subscription until they at least give me all the benefits that the print version gets or make it cheaper.
66 Comments| 164 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 September 2010
I am a big fan of the economist, and in fact the availability of it on the kindle swayed me into purchasing the kindle.

The content itself is good - its the economist, with all of the articles.

However you lose out on the majority of pictures and graphics (although where a graph is important for understanding an article, you do get one - but only one - graph).

I would happily do without the pictures and graphs in order to increase kindle readability - however
I feel this should be reflected by a lower price. It need not be as low as the spectator at 2.99 as the economist is much better, but I think 9.99 subscription and especially the 3.99 for an individual is too much.
on 29 September 2015
First time I'd purchased for Kindle. Worked just fine and everything seemed to be there. I'll do the same next time I'm off on holiday.
on 20 November 2016
Sad to have to agree with so many others but the poor implementation of kindle translation mkes for 3rd rate experience .

At first rate price...

on 10 May 2013
It remains a real disappointment that no digital edition is available for the Kindle Fire/Kindle Fire HD. The Kindle only edition is entirely in black and white and makes for a poor reading experience.

The Economist are lagging behind other leading newspapers/magazines in providing a full colour Kindle Fire edition and until they do I would advise potential subscribers to hold off.
on 1 September 2010
I'd been waiting for availability in the UK for months. At this price it's nonsensical.