on 8 December 2010
All you have to do is download the program Calibre, and in the "Fetch News" section, go to "English" where you'll find both The Economist and The Economist Free. Select "The Economist", enter your login details (e-mail address and password), and the program will download your issue and upload to your kindle (via USB) free of charge. No need to pay Amazon for the privilege.
1919 Comments| 561 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 20 November 2016
Sad to have to agree with so many others but the poor implementation of kindle translation mkes for 3rd rate experience .

At first rate price...

on 10 May 2013
It remains a real disappointment that no digital edition is available for the Kindle Fire/Kindle Fire HD. The Kindle only edition is entirely in black and white and makes for a poor reading experience.

The Economist are lagging behind other leading newspapers/magazines in providing a full colour Kindle Fire edition and until they do I would advise potential subscribers to hold off.
on 15 July 2015
I _love_ the content but not the format and cost.

- No access to economist.com.
- Figures (especially graphs) are often unreadable on Kindle Voyage.
- Expensive compared to other options for getting same (or better) content.
- Missing content (pics / figures).
on 16 April 2017
i love The Economist but i subscribed to the digital package on the belief that i could download it onto my Kinddle.
the website and the promotion are pretty vague about that
i subsequently found that it is possible to download it through an App ( but it does not mention that it is only possible to do so with kindle Fire , which is of little use if one wants to read the magazine outdoors on a sunny day )

Can anyone confirm that i cannot download the economist on my proper Kindle e reader as opposed to a glaring tablet ?

However If we can, can anyone help with the procedure to follow ?

Thanking you in advance
on 24 June 2015
Generally excellent. The Kindle edition is let down by the fact that the maps and charts are very unclear in black and white - please could you reformat in some way to make the distinctions between different colours stand out more?
on 1 September 2010
I'd been waiting for availability in the UK for months. At this price it's nonsensical.
0Comment| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 7 September 2010
I agree with all the previous reviews, the price is horrendously expensive for an electronic version, more expensive than the magazine. The benefit for me was that it is electronic and I can then read it on any my kindle devices, but after subscribing I found out that magazine subscriptions can only be viewed on one device. Reading it on the kindle is great, but I am annoyed that I can't read it on my android phone as well. I don't always take the Kindle with me and would like to continue reading it on the odd occasion either on my phone or Ipad. It is also worth noting that you do not get access to the online content as you would get if you subscribe to the paper version of the economist. I feel a bit cheated that I pay more for the Kindle version and I get less of a subscription. I won't continue my subscription until they at least give me all the benefits that the print version gets or make it cheaper.
44 Comments| 165 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 14 June 2012
I already pay £117 per year for a print subscription to the Economist. It's great that that subscription also gives me free access to their online edition and to their IPad edition.

However, if I wish to read the same content - which I have already paid for - on my Kindle, I have to pay an additonal £120 a year?!?

I contacted Economist subscriptions about this, and received a standard response telling me how I could access The Economist on my Kindle for 'just £9.99 per month'. I think the most disappointing thing about this was that they failed (deliberately?) to answer my question about why accessing the content on Kindle is any different to downloading an edition using the Ipad app.

Very disillusioned by this, particularly as I had been a real fan of the Economist's subscription model up to now.
11 Comment| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 19 July 2016
Kindle store is showing this at £9.99 but turns out this is the subscription price, go along with ordering it then you get the option to buy just this current week's edition for £3-something. Also says 'not available for digital download' on my tablet although reads fine using Kindle tablet app. Confusing website!