Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Fitbit

on 18 July 2017
Brought back memories excellent book
on 27 April 2017
The part about the dog kennels went on a bit to much. But once she go away from that, much better and funny and true to life of that era.
on 22 January 2015
Good book. Made me laugh in places. True to life. My age. Will read again.
on 17 January 2011
not the most literate of books but a great insight into one family' life. a most enjoyable read and great value for momey
on 18 April 2010
I am a huge fan of true life stories. This did not disapoint. The book was also interesting-factual-funny and i loved the era and nostalgia that goes with it. A very good readable read!! I have read some brilliant books of late inc two wonderful books by Mike Pannett and have just finished Kisses on a Post Card by Terence Frisby. At last something worth reading
on 24 May 2010
I really enjoyed the book, made me laugh and also parts that made me sad. The black country "wording" in parts also had me chuckling.
I wanted to share the humour because I was sat giggling to myself!
Love the true stories re nursing back in "the old days"
I also really liked Call the Midwife, Jennifer Worth -another excellent book!
Thanks Edith for this book
on 29 April 2010
What a brilliant book. Very interesting, very funny in parts and very easy to follow. Top marks to Edith for this one. I recommend this book to everyone especially to those readers like myself who did nurse training way back in Edith,s time. I was laughing out loud when I read about the time she spent working in the hospital, those bits were hilarious. But there is a whole chunk of sadness too, but I wont go into any details because it would spoil it for the readers but do get those tissues ready for this very moving story, so be like me, put your feet up and like me enjoy this good book. Thanks Edith,this was my kind of read.
on 16 February 2011
Like a previous reviewer, I was disappointed by this book. Most of the book was about Edith's previous jobs, and very little is actually about her time as a district nurse. I was very disappointed - if I'd have wanted to read about a woman working in a kennels, that is what I'd have bought a book about.
on 20 September 2010
I bought Nurse on Call after extreamly enjoying Jennifer Worths 3 books including Call the Midwife even though i am not a nurse myself. I found NOC quite hard to get into at first but after sticking with it, i was glad i had read it right through and stuck with it ... the book is about Edith Cotterill from child to elder including her ups and downs of life, i found that the book wasnt as much about nursing and the stories of her nursing career as expected. However i think she pulled it of with the very unexpected ending, Overall i enjoyed the book and recommend it.
on 10 January 2011
On beginning to read Edith Cotterill's book I was less than enthusiastic. As an ex nurse I am addicted to nurses' memoirs, but Nurse on Call appeared, at first, to go off at a rather odd tangent. I even thought that the title was slightly odd as it took some time for the nursing theme to become apparent. In addition, Edith Cotterill's style of writing seemed somewhat stiff and formal. I can only liken the first part of the book to talking with a stranger to whom you warm in time.
By the second half of the book the author had really relaxed into her story and let her natural warmth and humanity shine through. Towards the end of the book it is quite clear that she was an exceptionally humane and genuine woman whose moving accounts of the loss of her mother and daughter and also the family dog, Bosun, reduced me to tears.
There are also many chuckle-inducing anecdotes recounted about the patients encountered on her 'district' rounds. I think that whether you are a nursing story devotee or just enjoy the everyday reminiscences of daily life, this is an easy and enjoyable read.