Customer reviews

on 13 October 2008
In part one: Lord of the Fading Lands, a woodcarver's daughter called Rain Tairen Soul from the sky and a courtship begun.

In part two: Lady Of Light And Shadow, the courtship continues as a fierce battle knocks on Celierian doors and secrets reveal themselves.

Now in part three, King Of Sword And Sky, Rain takes his Shei'tani to his homeland where new challenges lie for Ellysetta. Enter a new world where Fey gather to meet the Shei'tani of a Tairen Soul, a Tairen pride that roars their welcome and the battle that becomes more violent and more grim with each passing day.

Like a bard of old times C.L. Wilson has once again raised her voice to tell another story in her Tairen Soul series and one thing's for sure, many will gather to hear it! As I started to read the first page of KING OF SWORD AND SKY I was walking back into the vibrant world of the Fading Lands and met the characters that I came to treasure in Lord Of The Fading Lands and Lady Of Light And Shadow.

It didn't take much for me to be completely absorbed in this tale as it takes off right where Lady Of Light And Shadow had left me. On a fivefold weave and on Tairen back I was led deeper into a world that took my breath away. The almost lyric prose of C.L. Wilson combined with a highly imaginative writing skill made me wander in a deserted Elven town, visit the Fey' Bahren and was in awe of the Hall of Scrolls. Though the author takes time to make the reader see all the splendor of her world it is the plot and a plethora of memorable characters that never lets your attention falter and only makes you wish for more. Four hundred and sixty-seven pages and they go by in the blink of an eye.

Of course Rain vel 'En Daris and Ellysetta Baristani are the main couple and their true mate bond that needs to gain in strength. Doubts and concerns are their ever present companions but they also get to feel beauty, share each other's joy and wonder. Their bond and feelings just echoed in my heart as I read the pages, hoping for all the good things but knowing a bond is not just forged in good times. It is in the troubled times that the trials will test the bond's strength. It also makes the love shine stronger and the magic of the true bond brighter. I don't know if I can capture the words to describe this soaring romance that makes my heart response with all my emotions. There are moments that gave me goose bumps from what I "saw" in my mind's eye, filled my eyes with tears and made my heart leap in joy. The author has a gift to evoke it all with the reader and she will make you care for each Fey and Tairen.

The Fey warriors are a sight to behold and the Tairen pride is impressive in their loyalty and playfulness. Belliard, Gaelen, Kiel and Kieran are all present but I also got to meet new Fey and Tajik vel Sibboreh is one that will demand your attention with his gruff but loyal attitude. The diversity in their natures and magic is what made me want to get to know all of them and makes me understand Elly all the more in her decisions. But if there is one character that had me from the first moment I met her it is Steli. She is Tairen and considers herself to be the first blade, the fiercest defender of the pride. She is loyal, knows no shame and will bleed for you in protection. Her very nature just brings a bright smile to my face and this tale became that much richer with her in it!

KING OF SWORD AND SKY enters the next stage of the story and it will affect many characters, will become more dire and sacrifices must be made! The good versus evil element is superbly executed by C.L. Wilson and drives me to keep turning the pages, no matter what hour, what needs to be done or who's calling. With every book in her Tairen Soul series she delivers a tale of otherworldly proportions and is a symphony of exquisite writing. It combines a rich and dazzling cast of characters, who are led by a dynamic pair that scorches the pages with their profound love and is framed by a plot that keeps you firmly set is this world. Submerged in this tale, in this world, the sum of its parts leads to awe inspiring romance, a page devouring battle and the image of Fey warriors that shout: `Mei'felani. Bei'santi. Nehtah, bas desrali. Live well, love deep. Tomorrow, we die.' burned in the mind's eye!

I cannot praise this series high enough for it is the perfect balance of fantasy and romance! In the end C.L. Wilson masterfully leads the reader to yet another action driven ending that makes you feel sad to leave the Fading Lands and count the day's until Queen Of Song And Soul is released.

Romantic Fantasy has never been so exhilarating to read...or so addictive!

reviewed by Leontine
Courtesy of Realms On Our Bookshelves
on 13 October 2008
KING OF SOUL AND SKY is the third installment of C. L. Wilson's Tairen Soul series, with the final installment due out in June 2009. If you haven't yet started this series, you really must go back to LORD OF THE FADING LANDS and start there...I promise it won't disappoint!

First of all, if anyone out there is unsure as to if they should continue or even start this series, all I'm going to say is visit C. L. Wilson's website, read the extracts and let the beautiful writing and exquisite storyline speak for itself...

KING picks up where LADY left off; with Ellie and Rain making their way to the Fading Lands, where Ellie will have to try and figure out what is killing the Tairen kitlings, discover the true extent to her own powers and where they come from, and last but not least complete her soul bond with Rain, who will succumb to madness if she does not. Needless to say, there is a lot happening in this book, and is the longest one yet of the series-I for one am not complaining! Wilson really has a way with words, making her characters seem very realistic, so much so that you will fall in love not just with the self-doubting Hero that is Rain, but the minor characters as well! This series has been a joy to read, and in KING we get a look at the Fading Lands and the Fey, and an even closer look at the horrific schemes and clever plotting of the 'baddies', who will actually send a shiver down your spine...just as the characters, landscape, relationship stories and love scenes are described with wonderful skill and detail, so it is also true for the darker aspects to the book. You learn more about Ellie's parents and the full extent of the horrors and tortures they have been put through for 1000 years...I can only hope there is some sort of happy ending for them!

KING sees Ellie grow and develop even more as a character, and as a consequence so does her relationship with Rain deepen and mature. Her life is not all fun and games once she is behind the Mists however, and we see her cope with more trials in the Fey lands.
KING definitely cannot stand alone, and I would really recommend that you catch up on LORD and LADY before you start off, because Wilson starts off with a page-turning pace and maintains it throughout. There is a certain amount of closure at the end of the novel however, so do no fear that you will be left completely hanging! I for one cannot wait for the release of QUEEN :)

I would recommend this series for fantasy, romance, and paranormal fans. Truly worth a go, and would be a good series to start with if you are new to fantasy scene!
on 7 October 2008
As noted, I had to be particularly patient whilst waiting for book no. 3 to reach me. I kept nos. 1 and 2 handy to refresh my memory, and no. 3 is well worth the wait. As the previous reviewer notes, Ellie does sometimes leap before she looks, but with the very best of intentions. The "baddie" is a thoroughly nasty piece of work, but I found myself morbidly fascinated by all his (quite repulsive in parts)deeds of wickedness. However, I'm sure Rain and Ellie and assorted supporting players will overcome his horribleness. Got to go - few more chapters to read - I would recommend this wholeheartedly to anyone who loves fantasy, romance, ghoulishness, and acts of derring-do. FABULOUS!!!!!
on 8 November 2009
This series is absolutely fantastic, and I've been waiting for three months for the fourth book to be published. This third installment, however, isn't quite as good as the first two. Mostly because there is less chemistry between the lead characters in this one. Rain, previously responding to any perceived threat to his Truemate with deadly skill, seems much more relaxed about their relationship in this story, and Ellysetta has come to terms with her own magic and is extending her abilities from chapter to chapter. The threat to them and their relationship seems much less in this novel than it did when the King of Celeria was judging over Ellysetta's future.

Having said that, this novel is still brilliant. Rain brings Ellysetta to the Fading Lands, where both of them receive a less than overwhelming reception. Rain, whilst the true "King" of the Fey, has been in the grip of madness for a thousand years, and the Fey council have been managing quite well in his absence. The King's return with his unusual Truemate is not the welcome news which the previous novels had led us to believe. Ellysetta's powerful magic allows her to heal the "rasa" - the Fey whose guilt over the lives they have taken in war lies so heavily on them that they are only one step away from becoming "dahl-reisen" - outcasts. As the healed "rasa" blood-swear their lives to her protection, Ellysetta gains a small army of Fey willing to follow her into anything.

Even the forbidden magic of Azrahn, and becoming "dahl-reisen" herself.
on 21 May 2014

Once again, within a few pages I was completely absorbed back into Elly and Rain's world as they try to strengthen their truemate bond as well as save the Tairen and battle the Eld. You get to meet more of the Tairen in this book and Steli is such a wonderful character. She is proud and fierce and considers herself the defender of the pride (something that she and Rain have to sort out!) and adopts Elly as her own within the pride.

You learn more of the Eld and their history and trust me, it is as black as Rain painted it! They/he are truly diabolical and you will detest them even as you can't stop from reading "just one more page".

"We are the steel no enemy can shatter. We are the magic no Dark power can defeat. We are the rock upon which evil breaks like waves. We are Fey, warriors of honor, champions of Light." - Fey Warriors’ Creed
on 9 October 2008
King of Sword and Sky continues straight after the previous book and what an engaging read it is. If you liked the previous two books in the series this story will not disappoint.

Ellie is still learning the arts of magic and trying to come to grips with the vast power that she has inherited. The shock of losing her mother and leaving her father and sisters in Telon are weighing heavily on her shoulders. After travelling from Celieria city to the outskirts of the Fading Lands Ellie and Rain's first trial is to go through the faering mists. Which proves to be just as hard as they both thought it would be. There she'tanista bond is still not complete and the Eld, in secret are mustering there troups for an invasion. The Tairen cubs are dying in there eggs and it is up to Ellie to find the answer. The High Mage of Eld is a vile person and the lengths he goes to to achieve victory are shocking and extreme. I found the introduction of the Tarien to be wonderous.

If you like paranormal romance and romantic sagas and have not read this wonderful series by C.L. Wilson I would suggest you buy it.
on 15 March 2013
King of sword and sky sees Rain and Ellysetta enter the Fading Lands at last. It is time for Ellie to take her place as Queen of the Fey but will she be accepted? She must also meet the tairen pride and try to help save the dying kitlings from some unseen menace.
There is a mixed reception from the Fey; many choose to bloodswear themselves to the Feyreisa; many feel she is a grave threat and wish to drive her out.

This book is fantastic and full of suspense - glimpses of what the bad guys are up to; will the High Mage tighten his grip on Ellysetta? Can she find the key to saving the Tairen and what price may she have to pay to do so?

I cannot give anything away - this book is amazing but must be read after Lord of the fading lands and lady of light and shadows. I warn you it is completely addictive. This series has been great so far; so rich in detail with well developed characters that you cant help but care about. Many threads are ongoing at this point and I can't wait until they are complete.
on 11 August 2010
These books are fantastic! The characters are well developed and you can't help rooting for them! The descriptions of the lands are breathtaking. You can almost imagine yourself there. I can't wait for the next book and hope that we hear more from C L Wilson!
on 4 April 2009
These books just seem to get better, I cannot wait for the 4th and final book. The author creates a world, which I for one would like to enter. It is not just a romantic paranormal romance, there is more depth to these novels. I highly recommed the whole series, but I recommend that you start with Lord of the Dading Isle.
on 15 November 2013
Great series for anyone looking for an adventure, romance story.
Might have to buy a copy of the "real" books as well, just to have them in the bookcase.