TOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 September 2009
Gwenvael the Handsome, the aptly named golden dragon has quite the reputation as a serial womaniser, in fact he is even known as Gwenvael the Ruiner in the harsh Northlands. Yet it is to this location he heads on the bequest of a very pregnant Annwyl; she the only one to see beneath his flighty exterior to trust him to negotiate with The Beast; a Northland warrior who holds valuable information which could save her life.

Gwenvael's first meeting with The Beast is far from diplomatic. After hearing of the horrendous reputation of such a mighty warrior he cannot contain his laughter when he meets her; a small bookish woman who could hardly inspire such tales of ferocious deeds. Of course it goes from bad to worse for Gwenvael; as an insulted Beast aka Dagmar refuses to reveal the information he needs. Seduction will clearly not work on this woman so Gwenvael must hunt for her weaknesses, but instead finds in Dagmar an equal in cunning, manipulation and political intrigue. The most arrogant and sexually rampant dragon in this series so far has finally met his match, and it's a chaotic, sweet, funny and red hot courtship as Gwenvael the Defiler (as Dagmar so affectionately calls him) and The Beast fall in love.

Dagmar and Gwenvael complement each other perfectly and their verbal sparring certainly adds to a cracking, adventure packed story line. Gwenvael is initially the only person able to see behind Dagmar's sedate exterior, yet rather than warn his family and friends not to antagonise her, he instead sits back and thoroughly enjoys (as does the reader) watching Dagmar find any hidden weakness and exploit it to destroy an opponent. This woman is not a warrior like Annwyl and Talaith; the heroines from the previous 2 books, but she is just as deadly in her own quiet way.

The whole dragon family is back and waiting for Annwyl to give birth, more is learnt of Izzy (Talaith's daughter) and other dragon kin are introduced. A war is brewing, an assassination must be averted and even more Gods and Goddesses walk the earth; interacting with significant characters found throughout this series. There is action all the way, plus plenty of humour, passion, and unexpected moments which really tug at your heart, making "What a Dragon Should Know" easily my most favourite book so far in this fabulous fantasy romance series.
on 16 October 2009
I absolutely love G. A. Aiken's books about dragons. The characters are larger than life and very intriguing. The stories are so enjoyable, with funny times, sizzling sexy times and bloody times. I just wish the author could write quicker! I just want to know what happens next with whom. Anyone who hasn't yet read any of these books should. They are out of this world!
on 5 July 2010
I really enjoyed this book, I wasn't sure about buying it, as I've bought a few paranormal romances with great reviews that have turned out to be really, really bad. However this book is a lovely story and very funny, I genuinely laughed out loud serveral times. I have now ordered the other two and have set a reminder for the fourth!!!

Real value for money.
on 15 May 2014
Book 3 in the series and this one is for Gwenvael the Handsome and The Beast; a Northland warrior - or so he thinks.

This book actually has more to it than just fun and sex although it is still there. Unlike the previous 2 books, Dagmar isn't a warrior or an assassin and is often underestimated (which she totally uses to her own advantage).

“You can’t leave me. I’m tortured and brooding. You need to show me how much you adore me so I can learn to love myself again.”
on 11 September 2011
This third book in the Dragon Kin series is all that you expect from G A Aiken. The story jumps forward seven months, Queen Annwyl is heavily pregnant with twins and can't really do much, so asks Gwenvael to head up to the Northlands to find out what the Beast, Dragmar Reinholdt, knows about her and her babies. This is where the story of Gwenvael and Dragmar begins. Gwenvael is a very jovial character and this is represented brilliantly in the first part of the book as he does his best to impress the Northlanders.

I'm pleased to say that this book is not solely about the developing romance between Gwenvael and Dragmar, there are a lot of stories going on throughout that develop and are moving the series into another direction. It is clear to see that romances are blossoming and plots are thickening.

Where the story didn't focus on Gwenvael and Dagmar's relationship, it was showing the developing relationship between Dagmar and the rest of the Dragon Kin. This makes me wonder if Dagmar is going to be an important character in the follow up books, as she is already described as the politician, her shrewd negotiation skills will be put to good use for the Kin with whomever they meet, be it human, dragon, witch or possibly something else.

This book is dark in places due to the nature of the development of the story, however, there are still the comic and steamy scenes, albeit not as many as in the previous two books. I did feel that some parts of the book were dragged out a little bit, which is why I gave it 4 stars instead of the usual 5.
on 3 November 2011
I have to say, I don't think I've ever read a book that has made me laugh aloud as often as this one. I read the previous books in the series and enjoyed them, the first left me curious as to what came next, the second hooked me, this third... well... I'm likely to read it again and again for the level of entertainment it provided me.

The characters are excellent, and though the main concentration in this book is on Gwenvael and the newly introduced character of Dagmar - it also continues to follow the previously introduced characters and their particular involvement within the plot line. Because of this I never, at any point, found myself bored or losing interest. In fact, as the story went on the more desperate I became for more. I didn't hesitate the buy the next in the series.

Its wonderful to find a medieval/fantasy series that also makes me laugh hysterically at times (and truly, I did), whilst also softening the developing main plot line (and smaller interwoven plot lines) with romance and emotion. It's also rare to find a series with such a heavy romantic leaning that I'm positive will attract a range of readers, in both age and gender.

There is nothing typical about this series and even if it's a genre and theme you've never taken a liking to previously, I'd really recommend you give it a shot - I did and I'm so terribly glad.
on 22 January 2011
I have read a few of books by this author and i have to say that most of them have been good reads, but this book was by far one of her best. I will not go in to details of the story as I personally think that ruins it for everyone else. I laughed so hard I cried with this book and for me alone that was what made it a good read I recommend this book as a totally enjoyable read all round.
on 10 May 2014
What a Dragon Should Know was another great instalment in the series - G.A. Aiken has created a great world with interesting (slightly crazy) characters. If you enjoyed the previous books, you'll love this one.
on 24 January 2010
couldn't stop giggling at some well rather alot of passages, has to be the best book yet, towards the end tears filling my eyes over the sadness as you felt the brothers gains and losses I really hope the next book contains more about Izzy and and Eihbenear the blue
This series is pure unadulterated brain candy, it doesn't take itself too seriously and G.A. Aiken consistently gives us slightly silly but very, very funny stories about overbearing alpha dragons and the warrior women who tame them. I've always loved reading about dragons and that is probably one of the reasons this series appeals to me so much but I also love the family dynamics and the crazy characters this series has introduced us to.

I've been waiting to read Gwenvael's story since the moment we first met him, he's the most light hearted of the brothers and the one who is always ready to lighten the mood with a joke or a silly comment. As a result of that nobody ever takes him seriously though so when Annwyl gives him a task to gather information from the Beast of the north he is determined to prove how capable he really is. The last thing he expects when he arrives at the home of the Northlanders is to discover that the Beast is in fact a woman but Gwenvael is known for his good looks and luck with the ladies as much as for his sense of humour so he isn't worried about his chances of success. Unfortunately for him Dagmar is the one woman who doesn't immediately fall for his charms and she isn't going to be easy to convince.

I knew I was going to love Gwenvael so I wasn't surprised to find that he is my favourite of the dragons we've met so far. He's just such a sweet guy and I love that he's less overbearing than his brothers. Dagmar may not be a fighter like Annwyl but she is more than capable of standing up for herself, she comes from a huge family but learnt from an early age how to talk her father and brothers into doing pretty much whatever she wants so she has been running her household for years without them even noticing. She has information that she knows Annwyl will find useful but she wants to deal directly with the Queen not her messenger boy. I enjoyed the banter between these two and the way Dagmar managed to keep Gwenvael on his toes, he's definitely not going to have an easy quiet life with her by his side!

It was also great to catch up with the previous couples and we're introduced to a whole new set of dragons who I think are going to be an interesting addition to the series. These books are a lot of fun to read and I'm glad I still have quite a few books to read before I'm caught up with the series.