Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now New Album - Zara Larsson Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Size: 4U Regular GCEA|Change

on 26 February 2012
Wow!! I bought these strings on recommendation. I only needed spares, really, just in case a string broke, so I just put them in my uke case. When the strings I already had (the originals from new) started to sound dull and needed frequent re-tuning, I decided to bite the bullet and change them for the Aquila ones. It was the first time I'd actually changed the strings, so was naturally a bit nervous! However, I changed them one at a time, following the instructions - dead easy, as the strings were colour-coded. I was really pleased with myself, and now they have settled in I hardly ever have to tune them. And the best bit is that my uke sounds so much better. You wouldn't think a change of strings would make so much difference - but it does! I bought a cheap beginner's ukulele on which to learn, intending to buy a better one if it all worked out OK, but having changed the strings I'm certainly not changing it - it sounds brilliant and I love it! I only wish I had changed the strings sooner, but I never believed it would make that much difference. I wholeheartedly, 100%, recommend these strings - they're brilliant!

Oh yes ..... and the delivery was very prompt!

All in all, I'm a very happy bunny!
on 3 November 2010
My wife bought me a cheap ukulele for my Birthday. Once I'd learned to play it a bit I realised I couldn't make it sound any better due the the terrible cheap strings. I did some reading and the Aquila Nylgut were always highly recommended.

The improvement in sound quality was amazing, even on my cheap Ashton uke. The strings were colour-coded with instructions and easy to fit (even for a first timer like me) They stay in tune and are much softer to the touch than nylon strings.

When I finally decided to purchase a better ukulele, I'll make sure it's fitted with some of these.
on 26 December 2010
These strings made a huge difference to sound quality and volume. Well worth buying. Great price. Speedy despatch. Thank you.
on 17 January 2012
Just put these strings on my £15 Gloss Black Mahalo ukulele, thought it sounded good before, well now sound like a Ukulele worth £30-£40. Sharper notes and sustains notes better. Have used them before on my £100 Mahalo Koa, made a bit of difference, but WOW has transformed my little "Black". BUY THEM!!!!
on 28 January 2012
bought these strings for my cheap uku £20.00 and it made a big improvememt. i'll still get a better uku but untill i can play better these string make the differance. the strings are softer on your fingers and give a better sound
on 3 March 2011
I decided to take others advice and change the strings on my new Ukulele with these. It was not a job I had done before, but I made it after a few mistakes. The sound of my MAHALO Ukulele, bought from Amazon, is much improved. The strings soon bedded in and I am enjoying my playing much more. A good buy!
on 6 November 2016
Having decided to teach myself ukulele, I bought an entry priced uke and started to learn how to play it. It never sounded as nice as I've heard other people play so thought I was just a bad player! A friend suggested I replaced the strings with some Aquila strings so I bought these. I googled how to change them and did it without any trouble. What a difference the sound makes! It's sounds like a much more expensive uke. It's really inspired me to practice more and more as it sounds so much nicer now . If you've bought yourself a cheap uke and aren't very impressed with it, try changing the strings to these Aquila strings. You'll be amazed at the difference in sound.
on 13 June 2016
I have a Stagg US60s soprano ukulele which I bought, 2nd hand, a couple of years back. It has a solid spruce top - which is thinner and more refined than the current version of the same model (from direct comparison) - with mahogany back and sides and is comparatively resonant and sweet sounding, and certainly far more lively than the cheap all-laminate ukes we have at the school I work in. My uke came with black nylon strings, of unknown make.

The thicker, white Aquila Nylgut strings took quite a while to settle in and hold their tuning but the difference in tone was immediately clear; warmer, louder and more rounded sounding and possibly even more comfortable to play. Unfortunately, the new strings also changed the intonation so that the A string, which had sounded a spot-on octave (to my ears, anyway) at the 12th fret with the old nylon strings, now played as much as a quarter tone sharp. I persisted for a couple of weeks, enjoying the sound of the new strings, until I got fed up with everything above the 5th to 7th fret sounding out of tune with the open strings. I have now taken off the Nylguts and put my old strings back on while I investigate other options; my uke sounds noticeably tinnier, quieter and 'closed' by comparison with the sound with Aquilas fitted but at least it is in tune with itself.

It might be that I got a rogue set of Nylguts but I had read other reviewers claiming that their ukes' intonation was improved by fitting them, which does suggest that they tend to pitch differently from nylon strings. Or maybe my ukulele just has poor intonation and I was lucky that the strings it came with somehow compensated for it...?

In conclusion: These Aquila Nylgut strings should bring out the very best sounds from your ukulele but they could also affect the intonation (tuning), for better or worse. However, if you are a beginner, strumming chords using only the first few frets, the problems I encountered probably won't matter anyway; I am an experienced guitarist who is so delighted to find an instrument which offers a whole octave within the span of my left hand that I tend to twiddle about with the high notes.

Happy playing!
on 16 August 2011
these are first rate strings which have improved the tone of my very moderately priced ukelele no end. I have a banjo/ukelele whioh I am now considering fitt
ing with these particular strings. My only query is regarding the thickness of the strings as the ones on my banjo/uke (japanese make) are very thin. The only criticism I would make, and this is very unfair as I have not informed the company, is that the "C" string is quite short and only turns around the tuning peg three times whereas the other three strings are of ample length.

Overall impression are that these are extremely good strings and well worth the money.
on 9 February 2010
I've been playing the uke for a few years now, and I've just got myself a nicer instrument Ashbury AU-34S Soprano Uke. I wasn't sure whether the cost was justified to begin with, but once fitted with these strings, the uke has a really strong, sweet, ringing sound and I'm playing now more than ever! I bought them on a recommendation, and now I'm recommending them to every uke player I know... I haven't tried traditional gut strings myself, but I know a couple of serious players who have, and they now swear by Aquila too!

Apparently, these strings give the sound of gut strings, without the hassle of constantly changing and tuning that real gut involves. I don't know about that to be honest, but these are really nice strings! I'm not going back, and my ashbury concert uke Ashbury AU-60 Concert Ukulele (Ukelele) is next in line for an upgrade.