on 30 August 2006
I bought this book simply because making cheese at home was something I always wanted to have a go at, but never knew where to start. I mean, I know I can go to a cheese-making suppliers, and buy kits, and get recipes off the internet, but what I wanted was just all the details of what I would need and how to go about making cheese, all in one easy chunk.

Enter this book. Quite simply, it is fantastic. There is the right amount of detail at all stages to tell you what you need to do, and what you need to get hold of. The section on the various processes involved in making cheese was perfect, aimed not to high or low, and explained everything exceptionally well. The recipes which finish this book are a good selection, even if it has now told me that brie is an awkward one to make! The only criticism is that is is very obviously US-oriented, and while this generally isn't a problem, it does mean you will have to go looking for supplies yourself.

On the whole, I cannot recommend this book enough. Get it, read it, buy the stuff you need, and set about creating your own cheese-based empire!
0Comment| 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 June 2017
The recipes in this book are of little use because they are written only in US imperial measurements that are irrelevant everywhere else. If you are US based this book may suit, but for everyone else - avoid.
The description of the book should make this clear. It doesn't.
on 4 June 2017
Great knowledge
on 23 July 2017
Bought as a gift. Recipes easy to follow and I believe some success was had.
on 23 April 2017
Perfect
on 12 June 2011
I have just started cheesemaking as a hobby and found this book to be very informative regarding the processes involved in cheesemaking.
The only negative point I have found is that it is an American book and the measurements are not in metric.
If this is not bad enough, I am unable to find out whether the "gallons" in the recipes are Imperial gallons or American gallons, very confusing.
on 15 April 2011
Ventured into home cheesemaking in 2011. I have made five cheeses from this book now, (feta - great, farmhouse cheddar -great, cheddar- waiting for it to mature, mozzarella - good and so easy, ricotta - using discarded whey, not too successful. Great little book with loads of cheese recipes from simple to complex. I would reccomend anyone taking their first steps in cheesemaking or beyond to get a copy.
on 30 October 2016
Look I know I am a beginner and that cheese making is an ancient skill but I am looking for a beginners recipe cheese makers book with Centigrade, Litres and grams. Please lets move into the 21st century.
on 17 December 2010
I consider this book to be my 'Cheese-Making Bible'. I had absolutely no knowledge whatsoever about the making of cheese, but with the step-to-step instructions and, trial and error, I have progressed quite considerably and am very proud of my results. I found this a very good book for the 'First-Timer' and as yet I have not found it necessary to search for other alternatives.
on 7 October 2011
This book answers all the queries about cheese making and has all the easy to follow recipes I will ever need, This book is great for someone new to cheese making I would recommend it to anyone