Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 18 March 2017
Always fan of Kamelot, Thank U very much.
on 10 September 2011
Their 2002 release, Epica, which saw them launch into a more powerful approach, with better production, shot Kamelot directly into the spotlight. They followed this with another excellent album, The Black Halo.
Then, as we have come to expect over the years with this group, they released a very poor album, namely, Ghost Opera, pretty awful stuff.
So, I had mixed feelings, when I first played this latest offering.
However, we are nearly back to the standards of Epica and The Black Halo, this really was a return to form.
This may, in part, have something to do with the guest and additional musicians involved with this project.
The album kicks off with a heavy melodic track "The Great Pandomonium", then it drifts away a little, but, from "Hunters Season" (Gus G plays the guitar solo) onwards, the album is at it's best.
"House On The Hill" and in parts of the four piece "Poetry For The Poisoned" features the beautiful singing voice of Simone Simons.(why is she still messing around with that average band Epica?)
Another excellent track is the heavy melodic rock of "Seal Of Woven Years".
Having individually scored each song in turn, I ended up with an average of 3.7 stars and that's probably about right.
The next step for Kamelot now, will be very interesting, bearing in mind, that Roy Kahn will no longer be on vocal duty. Let's wait and see.
on 6 August 2014
Poetry is, in my opinion, the darkest by far of Kamelot's albums, it seems in a way reflective of Khan's breakdown. In no way does this make it less impressive, as it is still classic Kamelot which uses love, pain, death and life as kindling for heart-tickling beauty, it's just quite different from the other albums. A masterful depiction of the most shadowy aspects of the human condition: the four-part Poetry For The Poisoned track is especially stunning portraying Khan at his best again with it's constant lyrical genius "show me how it feels to be alive", If Tomorrow Came with that gorgeous unexpected riff and The Zodiac which displays the only time I've ever heard Khan's honey-like voice sound so gruff with emotion (in a good way I promise!). Over all, definitely a must buy for a Kamelot fan, I would go as far as saying it may be the most powerful and spine tingling I've heard in a long time.
on 27 October 2010
Poetry For The Poisened is the third CD I've bought by Kamelot. Epica was the first Kamelot CD I bought. I really liked it. Then I bought The Black Halo. Before any of that I bouth their DVD One Cold Winter's Night. On to Poerty For The Poisened. When I read about it being released I thought that any follow up to The Black Halo would be difficult and though I might be taking a gamble here. I was glad I bought it. It is a really good album. Probably even a tad better than The Black Halo. I realy like the 15th track Where The Wild Roses as it is such a nice contrast to the other tracks. I would certainly recomment this albmm to anyon. It gets better each time I listen to it. I was bought up on "Heavy" music and as such it takes a lot to impress me. Fortunately there are a whole host of really good bands and artisits around today; Tarja; Within Temptation; Epica; Lacuna Coil; Leave's Eyes; Nightwish - and a few "new to me bands" that are defunct such as After Forever and Octavia Sperati.
on 4 March 2015
Absolutely brilliant. Only recently got into Kamelot. I'm a big fan of the bands Epica, Leaves Eyes & Within temptation. All with female leads, that I tend to love. But I'm absolutely loving Kamelot. This is the last album I believe with Roy Khan as lead singer & he's just amazing. If you like any of the bands I mentioned, I've no doubt that you will love kamelot too. Superb Album.
on 28 March 2011
The first thing I noticed when I listened to this album is the harsh, slightly unpleasant sound of the production. It's very treble heavy and possibly over-compressed. Also, I didn't like the vocal melodies as they didn't quite have that drama and wow-factor of past Kamelot albums due to their limited range.

I might be way out of line by suggesting this, but my little theory of why the vocals are composed lower is that Roy Khan is going through a period of bad health which is affecting his confidence and, therefore, his voice. I'm a singer and I went through a phase like this when I was convinced I was losing my voice and consequently struggled with the high notes. However, now my confidence is back, I can sing as high as ever. All the very best to Roy and his recovery. He'll be hitting those top C's in no time!

On the positive side, there is a new complexity and subtly to the songwriting on this album which is very exciting. For example, the intro to 'Seal of Woven Years' is possibly one of the best ever Kamelot moments. It is so atmospheric and genuinely makes me feel awestruck. And it contains a beautiful phrase sung by Roy which I can't get enough of.

Maybe when Roy Khan regains his range, Kamelot will be able to combine this new maturity in their songwriting with more spectacular vocal lines to create their best ever album. 'Poetry for the Poisoned' definitely has seeds of greatness which might keep on growing!
on 28 May 2013
Kamelot have made another Dramatic and almost Operatic Heavy Rock album. If you like that type of music you should try it.
on 13 August 2013
A rocker who enjoys listening to a wide variety of rock in the car. He certainly appreciated this one and plays it a lot.
on 12 July 2011
I've been a huge Kamelot fan for a long time & loved almost all they've done - up till now. I found this album boring & repetetive. There were no epic tunes that grabbed me & nothing really stood out for me.
on 19 February 2013
It is difficult to avoid bias with Kamelot - To a greater or lesser degree all of this band's albums are brilliant.