on 11 January 2018
Excellent filter with an effective coating at a very competitive price.

In spite of some of the quite bizarre negative comments on these filters, I have never had a problem with them. The filter mount is nice and slim, which is a positive when used with wide-angle lenses or when circumstances make it easier to stack filters rather than remove the UV one.
With the larger filter sizes it is possible to cross-thread them, a problem that occurs with filters from any manufacturer. As this will damage the threads they should be screwed on with care.
Threads on the front of the filter allow further items such as lens hoods etc. to be screwed in place, although my lenses of this size have bayonet-fit hoods. .
Optical clarity is excellent and I have had no issues with image quality using Polaroid branded filters.
on 21 May 2017
Bought one of these (37mm) to protect the lens of my Leica D-Lux 6. I have several camera's and always fit a UV filter as protection on all of them: a sensible practice brought home to me when I dropped my Fuji HS10 lens-first onto a cobbled path...the filter glass smashed and the metal rim distorted but the camera's lens was saved from damage. I have bought several different makes over time and find the Polaroid as good as any, I really dont see the purpose in paying more. These do the job.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 23 January 2018
The UV filter arrives in a regular secure filter case and fits my Sony a6000 perfectly. It is exceptionally thin which makes it ideal as a lens protector and it allows you to attach additional filters as it has threads on the front. For all intent and purpose it is like adding a screen protector to the lens with no apparent loss in image quality. In terms of eliminating UV, digital sensors are quite insensitive to UV so there maybe little more benefit other than protecting your lens from smears, smudges and cracks etc. There is an argument that for some lenses a UV filter can reduce purple fringing although this is not something I have seen. I am very happy with the fact that it is working as a protector to my expensive lens.
on 15 August 2017
A great safety shield for your lenses. Metal ring and tough (polycarbonate?) optics, so really nice quality item . keeps out dust and prevents scratches. Also the flat front surface is easier to clean then the convex lens. Worst case, you can simply unscrew it and clean it. Note that as its is threaded inside and out it does not affect the thread of your lens. so once in place it can be left and yet remains compatible with all your original cap, accessories and filters. This is also adding another level of protection to your lens as the thread is protected too. Especially important with plastic lenses, which now benefit from metal threads, so a nice upgrade. Considering the lenses are usually the dearest part of the setup its well worth a couple of pounds to protect them from dirt, dust, and also to protect the threads.
on 26 November 2016
Nice bit of kit, fits my Sigma 150-600mm lens nicely and seems to be very effective in taking the edge off strong UV light. The claims about thermal range seem right I have used the 95mm filter on my big Sigma lens in the frosts of winter in the UK and direct sunlight and 36 degrees plus heat photographing the Eclipse in Wyoming, there would seem to be a fair bit of scope for thermal expansion there and it neither crept nor rattled. I eventually bought a second one of these because the first one broke when the LowePro camera bag in which the lens was being carried was dropped opening the rear door on a hired SUV at Keflavik airport. Given that the bag was just shy of the 10kg hand luggage limit, the filter was the only victim of the incident and basically did it's job in protecting the front lens element so I can't really complain.
Some other filters claim to retain optical clarity / resolution, but I have not noticed any change in clarity or sharpness with or without this filter on the lens.
on 31 October 2016
First off I want to say that I purchased this product in error and have subsequently returned the item.

I want to leave a review as in my experience, if you need a UV filter then the Polaroid Optic is a fantastic brand. The filter is study and of a high quality. The threading to screw the filter onto the lens was really secure and threads extremely smoothly. I have used ND lens filters from Polariod Optics before and have only positive things to say about them.

My only point about UV lens - and this is more an opinion - they are in my opinion pretty pointless unless you just want a filter to act as a protective layer from the main lens itself. Most cameras nowadays come with auto-settings which filter out UV light and so it's only real function is to protect the lens. In my opinion, you are much better off getting a polarising lens filter.
on 16 July 2016
I wanted this large UV filter to go on my Sigma 150-600mm lens. It fits perfectly and you can still place the lens hood over both outwards and reversed for storage. I am going to leave it on permanently to reduce haze & protect the front elements of the lens. I do not see any problems/loss of quality using it at all.
on 11 November 2017
I’m a 25 year pro full time photographer, this filter is perfect for protecting your expensive lenses from scratches and enhancing contrast in images. Great value, don’t spend any more on clear glass.
on 26 September 2016
Given the debate over whether UV filters are of any actual value with digital cameras, there is still the obvious fact, that a few quids worth of glass screwed onto the front of the lens, at least protects the several hundred pounds worth of glass behind it.
These Polaroid filters have a nice slim profile and a good thread, allowing easy attachment to and removal from the camera lens.
I've shot with and without them on the lens. Even shooting in bright sunlight I've never had any problematic flare. The only time I've really noticed the filter, was when I was shooting at the seafront on a windy day and my filter had specks of sand on it - better than the front element.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 23 December 2017
Using this with a Lumix FZ330. Any other owners wondering about whether this will fit OK, the answer is yes. I have a collapsible rubber lens hood (a decent quality one) and this 52mm thread filter screws into this very nicely. More importantly, it works just as well (in my humble and very much amateur opinion) as any of the UV filters costing twice, or even three times, as much. Not only does it reduce flaring, but it also doubles up as additional lens protection...
review imagereview imagereview image