on 28 September 2010
This was one of those albums I bought on reviews alone. I have to admit, more often than not, im left disappointed. So it was with surprise and joy that I discovered Sky at Night to be a thing of pure beauty.

Im no wannabe NME reviewer, so i'll keep it simple. I was instantly gripped by the beautiful melodies and the poetic lyrics. The singer sounded like someone who had really lived a life and had more than enough skill to express it lyrically.

Each listen bought more depth to the surface of the songs. Some tracks such as 'Still do' made my heart swim and bought tears to my eyes.

I am a fan of the more melancholic brand of music - the type that speaks to the listener and not necessarily intended for stadium appeal (the band may disagree!), such as Doves, Smiths, New Order etc . . . This was a fantastic addition to that glorious 'tradition'.

Hats off to the group for not succumbing to current trends, and just relying on real quality songwriting.

There's not one duff track on the entire album, and as I previously mentioned, the lyrics are astounding.

Its so great to find a new band of such quality -i'll be investigating their back catelogue with great eagerness!
2 people found this helpful
on 23 February 2012
For fans of I am Kloot this mini-review will be wasted as you will doubtless have dived online or into your local store to buy this as soon as it was released. And it doesn't disappoint. Following on from the excellent "Play Moolah Rouge" they simply do not put a foot wrong with their high quality brand of melancholic, wistful songwriting.

For the uninitiated this is a band that deserves a chance. Granted they are unlikely to get you onto the dancefloor, but if you want an album to kick back and drift to, there are few bands to match them. Sky at Night starts strongly and peaks mid album with the simple yet gorgeous "I Still Do," but in truth every song on the album earns its place. Just give it a go!
on 19 July 2012
The highest praise I can give this album was that it was my favourite of 2010.

I could recommend this album to anybody who likes Elbow, which isn't surprising when it was produced by Garvey & Potter- the beautiful orchestral sounds are extremely Elbowesque but added to this is Bramwell's voice which is even better meaning that the lyrics are even more touching.

The album remains at a consistently high level and the epic 'Radiation' completes a rounded album in style.

This is the only record I've ever really cared about winning awards. Unfortunately it didn't!
on 16 April 2015
I have only recently heard this band and purchased this album and what a good choice but I have to ask the question Why does this band get no air play I get fed up listening to the same old music played because of play lists on the radio
One person found this helpful
on 12 October 2016
An excellent album. They are a very good band who I have now seen twice live and have a few of their cds all of which are very good. Sky at Night is well worth adding to any collection. Listen to them as they have a unique sound.
on 9 February 2018
good !
on 27 August 2016
The greatest band that no ones heard of. John Bramwell is a Great British treasure. This is their best album so far in my very humble opinion, but you can't go wrong with any of their releases to be honest.
on 15 May 2017
Okay but a little to slow
on 29 May 2014
Can't remember when I heard this band, but it was only recent, although they have been around for years, so good might add a few more of their albums to my collection.
on 29 October 2010
Can't believe that this band is not humungous - but maybe that's half the charm of them.

Fantastic album, great melodies, lyrics and production too (it has helped them to have friends in high places)

well done I Am Kloot!