Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Learn More Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 28 May 2011
Jenny is loved by her father, but treated horribly by her mother. She is shocked to learn later that she is adopted - after her biological mother dies, and her adopted father insists on taking her in - and assumes that is the reason her adoptive mother hates her. Her adoptive mother is careful to only treat her badly when there are no witnesses, so her father and her brother do not realise how bad things are.

Eventually Jenny feels the need to find out about her biological parents, a journey that takes time because of the deliberately misleading information she is given. She is shocked to find out the truth. An interesting twist at the end.

Definitely worth the read
on 21 July 2010
I am sure there is a huge market for this type of writing. Fortunately I am lucky to have missed it so far but noticing this was a Sunday Times bestseller decided to give it a go. This was, however, no recommendation. Characters are flat and unreal and Jenny, the protagonist, has to be a few brain cells short yet is supposedly intelligent. Predictable plot line, perfect girl gets hooked up with evil guy. Then we have the best friend who having suffered abuse gets better after a few therapy sessions. Everything in this book made me cringe and if I was not one of those people who have to finish a book they start I would have happily given it to a passerby. However, I appreciate this type of book is probably a big seller in the UK today but if you like your literature real then give this a miss. If you like "Oh gawd Miss!" type books then this is for you.
on 14 January 2013
I am a new reader since owning a kindle. This book as gripping throughout, and I could not put the book down. Since reading this book, I have purchased every book by Kitty Neale, she is an amazing author. Highly recommended
on 15 September 2015
Really enjoyed this book, could not wait till I finished reading it, I sometimes know how a book will end before I am half way through it, but this had me guessing. Enjoyed a few books of Kitty Kneale, will hope to read more.
on 31 July 2016
I'd read another of Kitty Neale's books (A Daughter's Disgrace) and it was a good, easy read, if a little far fetched and unfinished in places. This, however, was way beyond the realms of believable. There were 2 main plots concering the main character, Jennifer, running through the book. Each was slightly far fetched but, on its own may have made a good story. However, having both (major) events happen to one person, in one book, along with another equally unconvincing subplot concering Jennifer's friend, Tina, made for a slighlty disappointing read.
on 1 August 2010
Just had to write a review after reading the last review, i thought the book was really good , only comment i would make was that the end was rushed , i always enjoy her books and have read them all .Drapers alley is the best ,took me two days to read couldnt put it down.
on 20 December 2013
Have read many of Kitty Kneale's books and although I enjoyed this one I found the characters to be light weight and not totally believable. I had just finished reading the books in the saga, Nobody's Girl which I thoroughly enjoyed so was a little disappointed with this one.
on 19 January 2013
This being the third book read written by Kitty Neale, in just ten days I found having thought the last one I'd read could not be beaten, I've been astounded to find she's captured my mind totally again. Kitty Neale is truly a gifted writer and connects so deeply with human emotion of all kinds. Truly an amazing author.
on 16 April 2013
Thoroughly enjoyed the story. I felt it was well researched and the characters well rounded and full of interest. The events twist and turn as each chapter unfolds and the ending, though predictable leaves the reader with a feeling of satisfaction.
on 21 May 2013
It takes time to get started but well worth it!

The story does jump a bit and you will be guessing right to the end but it's a good read!

Would have liked some closure on a few of the other characters though this was the only part I felt unhappy with.