on 7 January 2018
An interesting read, backed up by science. It offers simple and sensible ways in which lifestyle changes can help improve a low mood. It's a good book to dip in and out of.
on 11 June 2017
So far it is a decent book. I am going down the alternative drug free route, so far it is helping. Good layout and pleasing to read, would recommend to anyone to try.
on 27 May 2017
This book certainly transformed my life. I learned how to rid my mind of negative thoughts and focus on the positive things in life.
on 8 June 2017
GOOD LITTLE BOOK TO HAVE IN YOUR HANDBAG TO READ WHEN YOU NEED TO
on 3 October 2017
Can recommend, very down to earth and easy/ practical to implement.
on 12 January 2018
Very informative and educational. Well written. I loved it.
on 12 April 2017
Nice book
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 13 August 2015
Practical and very helpful
on 28 October 2017
Very happy with this purchase. Thank you
on 7 August 2010
Reading this book was a breath of fresh air. It isn't merely Ilardi's rejection of a drug-based approach to treating depression; such rejections are two-a-penny in the 'alternative therapy' field. No, what sets this book apart is that it is balanced, well-researched, undogmatic and rooted in the careful use of scientific evidence.

The core hypothesis is simple. Depression rates are rising because we are increasingly living a lifestyle that takes us further and further away from how our ancient hunter-gatherer ancestors lived. Our bodies and minds are, in evolutionary terms, essentially the same as they were 13,000 years ago. In order to cure our depression we need to compensate for the fact that we no longer - and cannot any longer - live as they did. We can, however, do a number of things that learn from that earlier existence (and from how some people with very low depression rates still live). Ilardi focusses on six areas we can change: 1) improved diet (he focusses on Omega 3 supplements), 2) exercise, 3) more sunlight, 4) better sleep, 5) stopping ruminating, 6) spending time with other people.

He's clearly pushing what he believes is a radically improved way of dealing with depression, but much of what he says makes a lot of sense whether you are suffering from depression or not. He also does the proper medical thing of looking at evidence from clinical trials and from a range of different sources. The language and discussion can be a little simplistic and folksy in places, but that's a small price to pay for what is an excellent treatment of a controversial subject. In my case, I could see elements where I'd have to modify to a small degree some of what he recommends (solitude isn't always a bad thing). However, I've read a fair amount on this subject in recent years but nothing as comprehensive, positive, life-affirming and useful as this. I hope more people read and use this book. It has enormous potential to help sufferers from various levels of depression.
0Comment| 114 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse