Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Arcade Fire Learn more Fitbit

on 28 June 2012
Title says it all.If you want some light reading to while away an hour or so a day sitting on a beach or round the pool, this book covers all bases.It will not tax your brain too much.It will not challenge your intelligence. It will bring a wry smile to your face. It confirms in a n understated way our pre conceived ideas about our French cousins, and it endears them to the reader all the more. Basically read, enjoy,forget and move on to your next book....
on 26 September 2012
i laughed out loud a few times whilst reading this book, the author comes out with some good one liners and is very good at setting the scene. I must admit I did find the book hard to follow as he was trying to find out who had pinched his identity and how he followed up all the leads. On the whole a good book but not one I ll read again.
on 17 August 2011
Unlike the previous reviewer, the fact the book was set in 1995 did not detract from my pleasure in reading Chris and Shelagh's story at all. As a born clutz I could identify with his day to day chaos, regardless of where that chaos happens! A lovely read, pure pleasure with a smile nearly all the way and outright laughter at times. I only wish he had written the next installment, but to date I have never found one. He brought living in France to life with a different slant from those usually written, where plumbing oft looms large (and late!). I loved the book and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys this genre of literature.
on 17 May 2014
As an expat, I was expecting something more, but I'm not sure what. I got the impression that the writer was trying to make more out of events that were not that memorable. A disappointing read.
on 20 November 2011
Thoroughly enjoyed this - my first ever e-book! I've read many a book about an englishman's move to France, but I think this was the most entertaining. Except for the fact that he wanted to read the book too, I would have read out many hilarious passages to my hubby. The dog-carrying-upstairs being one of the best! I am surprised that anyone would expect to read a book like this to inform them of how to go about buying a house and moving to France; every one I have read has been anecdotal and a very personal account of their misfortunes! All the more enjoyable for that! Buy "Living and Working" in France if you want a dry, fact-based book!
on 13 October 2011
I am thinking of moving to France so thought this book might provide a soupçon of insight into the process, especially with a little humour thrown in for good measure. I was sorely disappointed. As a previous reviewer mentions, it really is more like a diary but written for oneself to read only. I got as far as the the author carrying his dog up and down stairs several times with diners watching him, at which point it became so tedious I deleted it from my Kindle so I presume they eventually started their new life in France?
If you like a fairly fast moving read, then this is not the book for you. If you don't mind repetition then I'm sure you would enjoy the tale. Now I have also learned that these events occured in the 1990's so, in fact, no good to me as times have changed all around the world, not least France.
on 27 July 2017
This isn't a bad book. There are some touches of humour, but the solving of the identity thief dragged on a bit too much. It's not the best of Brits moving abroad, but it's ok.
on 30 January 2012
If you enjoy reading about the expat experience you will enjoy this book. The first half of the book is quite a straightforward account of how to transport horses, cats and dogs to France - or maybe how not to do it. And then settling into the local community, joining in with the local activities, whether this be football or the local village fetes. Then, in the second half, Chris makes his misfortune of a stolen identity entertaining. I think I, and many others would have been sobbing or angry many a time with the total lack of help, but Chris just shrugs, gets on and solves the crime himself! No mean feat as the crime involves four countries and nobody else seems interested. In fact most people he contacts are more interested in enjoying the local fetes than working. Even his wife and Mother-In-Law seem to just hinder him. It also highlights some differences in culture and attitude between France, Spain and the UK without getting too heavy. More than anything it is a very entertaining tale. Whilst it did not have me rolling around in laughter, the tales did make me smile many a time. If you have ever had or looked after dogs, horses or cats you will know what Chris means when he tells you about the traits and stories of his various menagerie. A well written, fun to read book. Well worth the small price - extremely good value. I look forward to Chris's second instalment.
on 6 February 2012
French Fried: one man's move to France with too many animals and an identity thief

I certainly enjoyed this book and the fact that it reflects on life in France a few years ago, did not put me off. A great read for any lovers of France and French life. I also laughed out loud quite a number of times. Amazon Kindle has done us a favour with many good books like this at great prices.
on 8 May 2012
This book is one of the funniest books I've had the pleasure of reading in a long time. Roars of laughter came spontaneously as one after another, seemingly innocent remark, hit my funnybone. I had to pinch myself several times to check that I was still alive. Not only is the author a clever detective, he does something few detective story writers manage, he has a gift of building up characters with a few deft words and, at the same time, bringing the French countryside and those who live there to life. Many people attempt the latter but not always with the clean prose that French Fried contains.