Learn more Download now Browse your favorite restaurants Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Learn more

Customer reviews

WPF 4 Unleashed
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£29.99

on 19 November 2011
I bought this some time after buying 'Pro WPF in C#2010' by Matthew MacDonald. I'm glad I bought both of them, and I'm glad I bought them in that order. This book is extremely thorough, clear, and goes into some real depth. I suspect, though, that if I hadn't already got a grounding in WPF from MacDonald's book, I would have been floundering a bit with this one. There's a lot to be said for the traditional approach of having a 'Hello World' tutorial followed by 'what we just did' explanation; in comparison, this book functions more as a reference for those who are already familiar with the basics. Don't misunderstand me - this book is well-written and covers a lot of good material. It deserves a place on the bookshelf of any WPF dev. But if you are an absolute newcomer to WPF, then I'd suggest you'd get an easier learning curve if you look at something else first, then come back to this one.
on 21 May 2013
This book provides more than a glimpse of what's happening backstage behind WPF and this has helped me to understand not just the how's but also the why's ! Indeed many of the side panel topics have been almost as helpful as the main text. The author takes you through the WPF process at a gentle pace and if, you want to gallop ahead to understand a future topic, no problem as each section of the book works well both as an island in isolation and as a bridge.to other sections.
on 20 March 2013
I started out with absolutely no experience on WPF, when I bought Presentation Foundation Unleashed, but it was a full throttle drive to my first WPF application.. When WPF 4 arrived my wallet had allready left my pocket. It's amazing how much info Adam can put into a page and still make it digestible in a casual, but extremely precise manner.. The style and thorough work on this book should be mandatory for all high level technical volumes related to programming.
on 6 June 2012
Code samples are very small text on a Kindle. Zooming the text does not increase the size of font used for the code samples. Using Publisher Font doesn't help either. So, not ideal - and obviously not in colour as the paperback edition is.

I've not read enough to have an opinion on the content of the book.
on 12 December 2011
I read this book about a year ago and it's one of the best books I came across on Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) 4. Not only the content (which is great!) but the organisation of the topics and highlighting of key points with different colour schemes throughout makes the reading more enjoyable.

I remembered to do this (belated) review while reviewing a relatively new book - 101 Windows Phone 7 Apps, Volume I: Volume 1: Developing Apps 1-50 - by the same author. I thought I should regster my 5-star satisfaction with this book.
on 15 February 2012
Being a student I found the book a bit daunting at first. I wasn't really familiar with whole lot of the .NET architecture, so a lot of topics seemed really deep first. However after reading on a bit more, the book really started to shine: it was more of a lesson than an ordinary book.

For a person that's familiar with the concepts discussed in the book, it will offer a lot of depth and interesting tips. But for a person who is still learning this stuff, it offers a some really valuable lessons. However as a minus I must say that this isn't probably your first programming book, since it relies on concepts that aren't necessarily so obvious at first glance.

The structure of the book is also exceptional: you can read the book in one go, or you can skip ahead and not feel like you've missed anything really important. For example I needed some information on styling & templates, so I skipped ahead to chapter 14 and it felt like I was reading a new book about styles, templates and that sort of stuff.
on 13 September 2010
The first edition set the standard for WPF books, and the second edition maintains it. It's unrealistic to expect any single book to cover all of WPF in anything but the most superficial detail; Adam's book doesn't attempt this. What you have here is the best treatment of the core technology from someone who's logged a lot of hours flying the beastie. It's the only one of many WPF books I'd replace if I lost my copy. Highly recommended.
11 Comment| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 2 October 2011
Why do we need wpf, when we have windows forms ? - this book gives you the answer and shows you how to generate next generation GUI applications from the ground and up. The book has 'digging deeper' sections in each chapter which outlines details that may or may not interest you. Good thing is that you can just skip those sections if you want to surfer the concepts. Traveling from customizing frontend controls to backend logic as databind, resources and interoperability, this book has more or less all you need to get into the xaml world.