on 1 December 2016
Having read the sequel to Gentleman and Players first, I recommended this one for our book club and was on tenterhooks all the way through; a wonderful slow reveal of the key character. Superb, evocative descriptions and masterful characterisation of the different teachers within a school.
on 7 June 2017
Chocolate was the first of her books I read when it first came out I've read every one since as soon as they were printed. I Think I've read this before but I read it again with as much pleasure because of next one waiting in my kindle . I wanted to set the scene . Great characters - reminded me of my old school teachers. Great suspense .
on 16 October 2017
I felt sorry for the elderly teacher in this book. He was desperately holding on to all the long standing traditions of the school, contrary to the new broom headmaster and failing. Very thought provoking, as I went to an old fashioned school myself and I loved it.
on 4 May 2017
Wasn't sure I'd like this - love Joanne Harris, but this was a long way from Chocolat. Nonetheless, a storyteller she is, and cannot fail to deliver a satisfying and compelling tale.
on 20 March 2017
Exquisitely crafted and, at times, uncomfortable to read, in the foreknowledge of bad things to come. Incredible plot twists, this book really rewards perseverance to the end. I loved earlier works of Joanne Harris (Chocolat, and others), but this is at a whole new level of understanding the virtues and the vices of humanity.
on 5 April 2017
Very good read with a twist - I am looking forward to reading the next book.
on 19 July 2017
Read this on holiday. Bit slow to start but became more and more intrigued. Couldn't decide who I liked and distrusted til well into the denouement. Shades of Ripley, but didn't expect surprise twist at end.
on 17 March 2017
Well-crafted characters, brilliantly planned plot and for the last few chapters I literally couldn't put it down. I read it because Joanne Harris's sequel is due out and I have a ticket for her talk at Buxton in July.
on 18 July 2017
Poor writing and dreadful, implausible story line. Dull, unimaginative, repetitive dialogue. No sympathy with any of the characters. One of a few books that I didn't want to finish but had to read as part of a book club. I won't be reading the rest of the trilogy.
on 7 November 2017
Everything great. Thank you.