Customer reviews

Cello Adagios
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.39

on 3 May 2017
The CD of Cello Adagios is a good CD I enjoy listening to it and would recommend it to others.
on 13 March 2017
excellent sound and good mixture
on 13 December 2009
Over the course of 2009, I have purchased the entire series of Decca's Adagio double albums. On the whole I've found every disc very soothing though naturally I have my favourites. Close contenders for the Adagio album crown must be Baroque Adagios, Romantic Piano Adagios, Bach Adagios, Romantic Adagios I and II, Midnight Adagios, Harp Adagios, and Flute Adagios. But, for me, I have to plump for Cello Adagios as the finest of the lot. This is perhaps a slightly odd choice given that the cello is not generally recognised for being a polular lead instrument in the most familiar classical pieces, unlike the piano and violin. Nevertheless, this double album never fails to please in its melodic, soothing content and there are just few enough over-familiar pieces to stop short of it grating on the listener. Very highly recommended.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 8 June 2007
The cello is one of the greatest instruments in the string family of instruments and adagio is a slow movement in a piece of music. This is a 2 Cd compilation of the slow movements of some of the greatest orchestral works for the cello by various artists. From the uplifting sounds of the Swan (Saint-Saëns) played by Lynn Harrell to the haunting sounds of Kol Nidrei (Bruch) played by Julian Lloyd Weber (two of the greatest cellists of our time), the music on these Cds are some of the best uplifting, relaxing and enriching pieces of music ever written for the cello. For sheer quality of the recording and artistic performance, this 2cd set is a bargain. I highly recommend.
on 11 July 2012
I bought this for my mum as a present. I listen to a lot of music and she is always asking me to recommend her music. I had her listen to Adagio in G Minor and she fell in love with the cello. But few cello pieces are so striking. Listening to a few of the previews, the quality sounded excellent and had the same hauntingly beautiful ambiance as the song she loved so much. Also noticing that Julian Lloyd Weber performed many of the pieces, a great cellist and my personal favourite, prompted me to choose this CD over others. I often come home to find her playing it. A great collection of cello music played by some of the greatest cellists. Definitely worth the money. I may have to buy one for myself.
on 23 March 2013
I had heard that Bruch's Kol Nidrei was one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written, so I searched for it on Amazon and was pleasantly surprised to discover that it was available on the album Cello Adagios, which also contains numerous other beautiful cello pieces, some of which I was already familiar with, and others which were new to me but equally worth hearing. Bearing in mind there are about 2 and a half hours of great music on this album, it's really good value.
on 24 June 2014
A splendid collection of many famous cello pieces played by famous artists, providing some of the loveliest music ever written.
on 10 April 2016
was defective after first nine pieces
will take a chance on another one
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 February 2017
Excellent and irreproachable service. Goods as expected.
on 24 August 2010
I just love Adagios. So calming and restful.