Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.99

on 31 January 2001
So what Mack & Mabel the show was a flop - the music lives on. David Jacobs has always played it on BBC Radio 2, Torville & Dean skated perfect sixes to it on ice and Bernadette Peters continues to sing the haunting 'TIME HEALS EVERYTHING' in her concerts and makes everyone cry. Ok, a strange mix of song styles (comic Keystone Cops song "every time a cop falls down my spirits soar" and my favourite pick-me-up remedy, 'Tap Your Troubles Away' combines with big show tune numbers, but it works, and of course it is always a pleasure to hear Robert Preston sing. This is the tragic love story of Mack Sennett, director of silent films starring, amongst others, the Keystone Cops, and Mabel Normand, the most famous and celebrated silent movie actress of the time whom he discovered when she delivered a sandwich to the set of a film he was making. Why the show was never a success is a mystery - may be it was just too sad. I won't spoil the plot, but let me just say that I am unable to play the final track without plunging into tear-stained depression. Lovers of big West End and Broadway musicals will get a kick out of this CD, but read up on the story to get the full emotional hit.
on 20 October 2005
This is one of the most under rated musicals of all, sure there are some songs that i would remove..But i think thats true of most musical these days. People didnt like it cause it didnt have a happy ending, EVEN BETTER!
I wont send roses is a classic but there are others in the album like BIG TIME..and Tap Your Troubles Away, that you dont hear enough off, this should be performed more.
BRAVO BRAVO
on 18 April 2014
I have always been a fan of Robert Preston since his early days when he was under contract to Paramount Studios and made movies with the likes of Alan Ladd and Veronica Lake, and was very surprised when in his later career he started to appear in stage shows and I started to collect recordings when ever they became available. This C.D. is a replacement for my L.P. copy and so I knew what to expect. I can however recommend it to all who loves the `Shows` and is a excellent contrast to a lot of the modern stage shows that seem to be all subjects of doom & gloom.
on 2 April 2016
I have just Seen Michael Ball doing this West End Show a few weeks ago It was FANTASTIC and if you were there i hope you enjoyed the Show I did. and i loved the Songs to i hope you did to So i have just brought this Album and i will remmber the Show i went to and the same for you so this Album is perfect and it is from the Original Cast that did this Album of the same show but this was years ago but the songs are just the same and it will give us all lots of Memories of the show we went to I hope you will Enjoy ths Album like i will and this serivce is great
on 24 March 2014
This music and this version was always on the radio and it is the perfect antidote to feeling low. You just cannot feel down having listened to Tap Your Troubles Away. The kitchen floor, which is tiled is perfect for tapping even if I am not.
on 6 April 2009
A pity this show is over in the West End of London! But I can be thankful that it has been captured on this CD. The tunes are catchy and well sung by fine voices. I treaure Mac and Mable very much and am glad I bought it before it was lost forever.
VINE VOICEon 26 June 2012
The best version of Mack and Mabel, featuring Robert Preston and Bernadette Peters. I've had a dusty cassette for years before recently 'upgrading' to a CD. The tunes are toe-tapping and memorable. Better still they suit every possible mood - whether you are sad, happy, romantic or cross. Make yourself a wicked martini, whack this in the machine and enjoy an evening of 20s glamour, romance and mayhem. If it is good enough for Torvill and Dean....
on 17 December 2013
Wonderful... clever, touching lyrics perfectly performed by a. perfect cast Robert Preston and Bernadette Peters are heart achingly note and phrase perfect ..Nothing better than this...A great purchase.
on 28 April 2013
How can I compare original cast recordings of Mack & Mabel when there is only one? If you want it, here it is.
on 17 November 2012
I have this on Vinyl LP but nowhere to play it so needed the CD.
This is an excellent recording.
Did see the West End show when it was eventually staged but was disappointed.
Think the script itself was weak, however the music is excellent and the artists on this CD are first class.
Great Listening.