• Hawk

Hawk
Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£16.72+ £1.26 shipping

on 5 August 2010
Just wanted to offer another opinion in contrast to other reviews I've read. I am primarily a Lanegan fan, and would almost certainly never have bought anything by Campbell if he hadn't been involved. The fact that he features more heavily in this album (as the other reviewer notes) is a good thing for me. I liked "Ballad of The Broken Seas," but I felt that "Sunday at Devil Dirt" was a poor effort. It brought no new ideas, just tried to squeeze as much out of the same ideas as the first album, and consequntly seemed like a substandard disc of songs rejected from the first one.
This outing on the other hand, is different. It does feature Lanegan much more, and subtly changes the direction of their collaboration. Some of the songs are more modern and guitar driven, while still keeping a lot of that folky vibe. There's a few swinging blues-type numbers too. I get a slight Nashville feeling listening to some of it. I agree with the other reviewer that perhaps the Campbell songs are a bit jarring, though perhaps for different reasons; they are much weaker than Lanegan's numbers, and don't suit the vibe of the first few songs on the album, but I expected that.... ;-) Standout tracks include "You Won't Let Me Down Again" & "Snake Song."
You'll see I still gave it 4 stars, because the strength of the good songs more than makes up for any weaknesses (unlike "Sunday at Devil Dirt....")I'll sum it up like this: If you are a Lanegan fan and you were disappointed with the last album, you will like this.
VINE VOICEon 26 August 2010
I am almost afraid to review this CD as nothing I say will do it justice. But its so good I have to tell the world. For those of you who have enjoyed the other Campbell and Lanegan records well the quality continues into this record. For those of you who have never heard of them I wish I was like you, as I could then buy all three at once and hear them for the first time. This is a truly remarkable CD, its hard to describe for most of the pleasure is in the vocals and you have to hear them to know it, however if you put a gun to my head I would say that they sound like a reincarnation of Sandy Denny and a tuneful Tom Waits (but enjoyable to listen to) The music is largely acoustic blues but with some notable exceptions where electric guitars make a raucous appearance, the music also takes note from country and folk, its soulful without being soul but most of all haunting.
on 17 October 2016
Great CD at a fair price, 2 soul mates matching and reflecting each other brilliantly.
on 16 August 2010
Well you can certainly say of Isobel Campbell, " you've come long way baby" I wonder if Lanegan and Isobel are fed up of reviews banging on about their being the odd couple given their relationship has lasted over 6 years, 3 albums, 2 eps and the We Were Only Riders collaboration? To me it's looking/sounding like a marriage made in heaven. This is an utterly gorgeous album and so far from being an odd couple, the tracks that do sound "odd " are the 2 with Willy Mason ; nothing wrong with them, but they just lack the magical combination of Lanegan and Campbell.

Hawk doesn't have the same narrative form as Ballad of the Broken Seas, which to a lesser extent was shared with Sunday at Devil Dirt. Those albums felt like the soundtrack of some Tennessee Williams/Carson McCullers/Flannery O'Conner Southern Gothic drama(possibly as the combination of Lanegan and Campbell was initially so odd the need for a back story was justified) Here it's purely the music and nothing more is needed.
(Except a new and long-overdue solo Lanegan album )
on 16 February 2017
Good thanks
on 25 March 2015
Great Album
on 20 February 2015
brilliant
on 1 November 2015
good
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 December 2014
Fab
on 20 August 2010
So the novelty effect is gone and the Nancy&Lee comparisons are all played out.
It indeed IS all Campbell's work and credit where credit's due.
But in the end it's Lanegan's voice that once again does the trick for me.

Solid album, good tracks and Willy Mason on two songs is a bonus.