on 26 June 2011
I enjoyed this; I'd forgotten how much fun westerns can be.

I can't go into too much detail for fear of plot spoilers, but Mick is the kind of guy you want to see more of: accident-prone, subject to severe moments of foot-in-mouth syndrome, but a decent guy with a giant heart.

Casey is both brittle and strong, and I love the idea of a female gunslinger.

Together they have to solve a crime within a crime; so we have a nice little detective story without the modern day forensics. Much as I love those, it's just as much fun to figure out the whydunnit (the whodunnit is pretty obvious) with fingerprints, DNA and other technology.

I'd love to see more of this couple; I've blazed through Scattershot Gulch and the short story collection already.
on 24 February 2014
Well. That was three or four hours of my life utterly wasted. When you look back on the books you've read over the year, there is undoubtedly one, if not two, perhaps even three, that stand out because they're outstanding and one (or more) because they are...not so outstanding. This one was the lemon for my year so far.

It's a western. Two young (very young) gunslingers, Mick and Casey, are hired to keep a rather precocious little girl, Laurie, and her aunt safe, as her Daddy is an unpopular bigwig in town. Needless to say, the job doesn't go too well and there's a lot of shooting, dead guys, deceit, betrayal and sore heads. Moreover, there's something very unusual about a certain box of toys that belongs to Laurie, that seems to cause quite a lot of interest.

The whole thing is confusing and a mess. The characters are like cardboard cut-outs: the story is so `told' (not one bit of `show'), I got no emotion from any of them and couldn't therefore afford them any in return. The story was poorly written: it lacked maturity (or experience), there were a number of typos and missing words, and the author seems to have no grasp on how to use the correct tenses.

This was unputdownable for all the wrong reasons: I couldn't wait to finish it and get on to a good book. The only commendation I can give is that the author sat down and had a jolly good try.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in order to review it.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 22 August 2011
This book has the ingredients of a western, but somewhere along the way the writer decided to spice it up and throw in a little crime and a pinch of wit. It was fun and absolutely not what I was expecting. Like a quick breath of fresh air. The two main characters are gunslingers, well actually more like juvenile delinquent gunslingers. The have been hired to protect and travel with the young daughter and sister in law of the local bigwig. Needless to say it not only doesn't pan out well for them, it turns out the females on the trip aren't the only important item on the trip with them. I loved the Casey character, who is a mix between a murderous Annie Oakley and all American cheerleader, with a cheeky attitude and sharpshooting skills. It was witty and fast paced and a really enjoyable read. I received a free copy of this book for my review.Have Gun, Will Play (A Mick and Casey Mystery)