Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.99

on 31 October 2014
Excellent. Second book I've read recently by this author & enjoyed them both. Thoroughly recommend. Good story line about an evacuee during the second world war & her roots are not where she thinks they are.
on 11 January 2011
Poppy's War was bought for me (Mrs P. Gowen) for Christmas by my husband as he had read a review and realized it was just the sort of book I would read. I have just finished reading this excellent first novel by Lily Baxter. Being over 80 myself it brought back memories of children being evacuated to the country during the second world war, land girls who did a wonderful job while the menfolk were away etc.
I found it was difficult to put it down, it was so well written and very intersting all the way through to the end. Well done to Lily Baxter for her first novel - more to come please.
on 29 December 2010
This is an addictive and exciting book written by new author - Lily Baxter. The story of Poppy Brown is written in an intelligent and interesting manner. Only downside is that the chapters themselves are quite long but that shouldn't be too much of a problem as once you begin reading this book, its hard to stop! 5* from me (:
on 24 June 2011
I had this book given to me for my birthday. I'd never heard of Lily Baxter and I was a bit dubious as to wheather I'd enjoy this book. Well I needn't have worried. As soon as I started it I couldn't put it down. I finished it in two sittings.

I loved the character of Poppy and I am so glad that she got the man of her dreams. The book was very well written and easy to read and not drawn out to the point of reading this book as a sleep aid. Far from it. Don't read this book if you want to get off to sleep in reasonable time as it will hold your attention right until the last page.

Lovely story. Good page turner. Will be looking out for more of her books.
on 21 January 2011
Well, I wanted a light read and this was fine. I read it in one sitting because I was in the mood and it was a very easy, comfortable read. If I was going to criticise it, I would say it was mostly rather predictable and those bits that weren't were slightly ridiculous! As I say, though, I was in the mood for a cosy read and this fit the bill nicely. (I would have been disappointed had I paid full price though!)
on 18 March 2017
Brought for my mom she loves any book set in the 40s she loved this
on 11 December 2010
This is a great book about the wa,r its about a young girl and her toubles during the war. Never seen it in the shops where i live. Only took a couple of days to come thoughly enjoyed it. one to read if you like family sagas
on 4 January 2011
This is not my usual type of book but as it was given to me as a Christmas gift I felt I had to read it.

The first part of the book had traces of Downton Abbey and Upstairs Downstairs which I did really enjoy. Guy the main hero in the book was rather wet and soppy and the storyline did sink into the usual predictable storyline with a series of Guy turning up out of the blue in the right place at the right time. Unrealistic with the amount of co-incidences which the story followed. A very lightweight read, but sweet in its own way. I am sure many people would enjoy the nostalgia of this tale. I would describe this as light entertainment. For me personally, I found it rather flat and airy fairie, but that's just my own opinion.
on 1 December 2010
Bought for my wife, she found this book a very good read, and has passed it on to her friends.
on 4 September 2011
Thirteen year-old Poppy Brown is evacuated a village in Dorset at the beginning of the war. Soon Poppy becomes invovled with her host family the Carrolls. But things change and Poppy is forced to leave Dorset and then Poppy becomes a hospital cleaner. Soon Poppy begins to train as a nurse, but soon Poppy finds herself back io Dorset with the Carrolls.
"Poppy's War" is the first book by Lily Baxter and it a pretty good read. While the outcome seem a forgone conclusion, getting there is an enjoyable read. Any fan of wartime books will want to check out "Poppy's War" and the other books by Lily Baxter