on 19 October 2013
Very funny, very good read. Can't wait for the baby book to add to what I've read in the Guardian
on 28 September 2010
This book was recommended to me by my daughter who read it on a transatlantic flight. She hardly noticed the time pass, but embarrassed herself by laughing aloud in several places. I was not disappointed.

It is Lucy Mangan's account of her wedding from proposal to reception. Although light hearted, it is well written and witty.

Lucy Mangan is an entertaining self-deprecating writer. Reading this is like a good friend sitting you down and giving you a hilarious account of the absurdity of her wedding preparations. From her reminiscences of school days to descriptions of family relationships the writing is sharp, funny and warm and the situations will strike a chord with many women.

This is the perfect book to give to anyone stressed out with wedding preparations to restore their sense of proportion and reassure them that it will all be OK in the end.
on 15 May 2010
Lucy Mangham is witty. You can smirk all the way through this book. At the beginning of the book she decides to pretend that she works in shops and begins with a supermarket, but by the end she has forgotten about this pretence and admits to having been a lawyer whose friends are barristers and doctors like you might expect. It looks like an editing mistake because the book was pushed out in a hurry. In fact the editor should be shot as Uncle Alan is obliged to coast down every hill to save petrol twice on page 60. Never mind the sloppy editing, who needs perfection when you have so much to enjoy? It starts out as fiction and ends up as probably non-fiction. Maybe that's why it makes you laugh initially and then cry at the end, because reader, she really does love him. The wit is brittle British wit, never far from vulnerability, tragedy cloaked in irony and never that far from tears, except we manage, most of the time to veer towards laughter.

I think Lucy Mangham has a lot to tell the middle classes who they are and she does it as wittily and as gently as EF Benson (Mapp and Lucia) and EM Delafield (Diary of a Provincial Lady) and like them our life and times are described without mercy and yet with affection. They wrote in the 30's and we have had to wait until now to see their like again.

Don't call this chick lit, it is more affectionate and less affected, and don't call it holiday reading, because you'll want to read it more than once. I like to imagine that underneath all her entertaining banter she is really is trying to understand. Or maybe she does understand and yet she's making the reader feel clever for getting there first. Either way I think this book is a tad more complex that it pretends to be. Or not. Anyway read it and talk about it. Its fun.
VINE VOICEon 11 July 2010
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This isn't really a guide to getting married, it's an affectionate look back at how it was for Lucy, starting with the first time she met her husband-to-be and ending back at the hotel immediately after the wedding.

Along the way there are myriad trials and tribulations. Neither Lucy or Christopher, her fiance, are particularly conventional or well-organised and although they've been to plenty of weddings, don't really know where to start. What follows is a mostly witty and entertaining account of the journey from the proposal to the altar.

I love Lucy Mangan's Guardian column and feel like I already know her family so I was thrilled to get the chance to read and review this book through Vine. And it is a good book, it's an easy read and very funny in places. But I did find the whole, slightly-self consciously clever dialogue began to grate after a while. Every time Christopher spoke (in the book) I couldn't help thinking of Boris Johnson who is the only person I've ever heard actually talk like that.

The best parts are Lucy's lovely descriptions of her gorgeous, gentle father whose mind is always elsewhere, her controlling, but still adorable mother and her truly delightful sister - and her best friend Gillian who I loved too.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. As Lucy's dad said when his early morning peace and quiet was about to be disturbed by his guests getting up: "Ah well, it was lovely while it lasted."
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 5 August 2010
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I enyoyed this. It is certainly not "great literature", and for me, not the sort of book I'll want to re-read repeatedly, but its a feel-good light holiday-type read, and anyone who has ever been involved in planning a wedding will find common ground with Lucy's story. (For those who are about to embark on creating their dream wedding, it may provide you with a bit of useful insight and maybe a sense of perspective, and should probably be on any recently-engaged woman's reading list!)

It is the based-on-true-life story of Lucy's wedding preparation, as she juggles the chaos of managing cupcakes, bridesmaids and dress fittings while pacifying relatives and co-ordinating her guest list and venue. It is witty and fun, well written and compelling.

So, don't expect Shakespeare, but enjoy an entertaining and wry smile-inducing read, pass it round to all your girlfriends for their fortnights on the beach, and buy new copies as engagement presents!
VINE VOICEon 2 August 2010
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is not a book that will educate or cause profound thinking. It seeks to amuse and entertain and it does this exceedingly well. It tells the story of Lucy and Christopher beginning with the engagement and continuing through all the stages of the wedding planning and of course introduces family and friends. It is well written in a witty sharp style (which is repeated in the synopsis and author information on the back pages)which is very engaging. Lots of it is true to life and I often found myself thinking (I've thought that or thats happened to me and think many brides will feel this too. There are however many over the top descriptions which are very funny too. When the questionaire for preparation of marriage course is discussed by Lucy and Christopher I laughed till I cried. I would normally recommend this as beach or travel reading but beware there are so many laugh out loud moments that it can be embarrassing. I note that the authors description states Lucy is still married to Christopher. I"m glad because I feel I like them both and they deserve each other. I hope that family and friends still talk to them. This book is easily and quickly read and I would recommend it to most anyone who wants to pass a few hours pleasantly and feel brides to be would definitely find it hilarious.
VINE VOICEon 29 August 2010
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As a lover of frothy novels, and a woman in her mid-20s who is currently planning her own wedding, I am surely the exact target market for this book, and therefore it is no surprise that I very much enjoyed it! It is a supposedly true story of the writer's wedding preparations for her marriage to her slightly odd fiance, and covers her adventures with all aspects of planning, from ordering a tower of cupcakes to deciding which font to use for invitations.

None of this will have much interest for anyone who despises weddings or chick lit, so it's important to know what you're getting yourself into. But if the idea of reading a sarcastic, self-aware and self-disparaging account of a woman's journey from wedding-related-cluelessness to fully functioning bride appeals to you, then this is a fab read. It's light, addictive, and often made me laugh out loud. Sometimes there's a bit too much overly witty and verbose dialogue which can seem unrealistic, but otherwise I don't really have any complaints. I'm sure I will read it again one day and I would recommend it.
on 14 June 2017
One of the funniest books I've ever read!
on 25 May 2010
Don't mistake this, on the basis of the subject matter, for another piece of chick-lit whimsy. Lucy Mangan has accomplished a piece of comic writing that wouldn't have put Wodehouse to shame. It has what all the best writing has, a voice you could listen to forever - and hers is both funny and intelligent. Readers of the Guardian are long-acquainted with the doings of her eccentric family and exasperating beloved, Toryboy, but they reappear here more real and more rounded (and Toryboy does pretty well out of it; so THAT'S what she sees in him!). Buy it and I'd be surprised if you regret it, you'll wish you had friends this funny.
VINE VOICEon 8 July 2010
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a very open, honest, and amusing story of one woman's quest down the aisle, from the incredibly unlikely Prince Charming to her mother and sister's hyper-organisation complete with crises, mishaps and eventual wedded bliss (sort of).

What kept me laughing was that despite the ridiculous running around and occasionally farcical nature of the whole thing, anybody who's ever planned or helped to plan a wedding can recognise the truth in it. Though Lucy is a particularly haphazard bride, everyone is going to see least one anecdote in here and say "ooohh, something similar happened to..."

It's not the deepest thing you'll ever read, and I have to confess wondering if Lucy's dialogue with everyone in her life really is as witty and zingy as she would have it appear... but to pass the time (or perhaps bring some comfort to other brides who are wondering why this dream wedding is turning out to be such a royal pain in the backside) it's a fun little treat.