on 7 August 2012
Bought this to make for my Granddaughters Birthday. I used to make lots of cakes both for myself and other people. I followed the recipe on here as so many others had said it worked beautifully, however both my first two attempts failed. Im not saying the recipe isnt good, it could well be my oven. The outsides of the cakes were cooked, but although springy to the touch, when taken out of the oven, both dipped in the middle to reveal an uncooked middle. I reverted back to the recipe I have always used and the result was great. No problems at all. I used a "madeira" cake mix as follows for ONE mould!!
6oz Margarine
6oz caster sugar
6oz SR flour
2oz Plain flour
3 eggs
1 tsp Baking powder
1tbsp Milk

Generously grease both cake moulds and lightly flour. Beat the marg and sugar with 2 of the eggs. Add the last egg and sift the flour with the Baking pwd into the bowl altogether. Beat until smooth add the milk and beat again ( i use an electric hand mixer) Then put into ONE of the moulds and cook at 160C for around 50 minutes, when lightly pressed, the middle of the cake should spring back. Repeat for the second mould.
i found that by making and COOKING each section seperately, was better for me.
One person found this helpful
on 2 September 2011
a) Make sure you double up your recipe because you'll have to do another batch and your original batch will start to rise while you do that, giving an uneven result... or worse, you'll notice that your top bit is way too small and you'll have to bake another top!
b) Someone give the enlightened designer a slap: why on Earth do a wavy edge on a cake mould that usually sits on a rack in the oven?!! Anyway, just make sure you put a thick enough layer of foil so your top doesn't tilt. Note it will slow down your baking process, as would using a tray because of the design flaw, but not as much.
c) The middle part to keep a hollow for filling is quite handy, but allowing the cake to rise in the baking process without it and then shaving off the top neatly makes more sense if you want to keep the consistency of your cake and not end up with an unbaked centre.
d) Seriously adjust your cooking time: you have to bake a narrow but high cake. Lower heat for longer, then.
e) Watch it if you have a small oven. Even if you know your recipe and oven inside out, having a small oven won't be in your favour because you will need to lower the cake.

Not the easiest mould to use if you want a guaranteed result, but the shape is simply great for a feature cake.
One person found this helpful
on 14 February 2011
I bought this item hoping it would arrive in time for my grandsons' birthday on 7th January, 2011. It didn't. I did try to make a cake, when it did eventually arrive, but given the only instructions are for packet mix, I had to try to judge the baking time as I make my cakes from scratch. So far I haven't been too successful but it's early days yet. It's too expensive to chuck out the rubbish efforts and keep making until I get it right but one day I will get there. Sorry I could't rate this higher. If the instructions had been more comprehensive, the rating would have been higher.
on 26 April 2013
a terrible, terrible product. no matter how much i grease the bastard thing, what recipe i use or how much i pray it just rips my cakes to absolute pieces with no chance of repair. the inside is not smooth like silicone should be, it is rough and gravelly. i've used this several times now and i am utterly disgusted at the shabby quality. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT. its a waste of my money, time and effort.
on 30 April 2014
got this as my daughter wanted a giant cupcake for her 21st birthday. easy to use but I did take the precaution of spraying with oil before use and I am glad I did as I did have to take it carefully to turn the cake out. I used a 10 egg recipe which is quite a lot but the mould takes more cake batter then you think
on 24 March 2014
I have not fully made use of this yet so comments refelect this. I have only used the base and it worked well and I had no problems with it. I intend using the base to make a thick chocolate shell that I can fill with fun things for a party but the opportunity has not arisen yet.
on 12 April 2011
i wasnt too sure what to make of this item after reading the previous reveiws, but i found the instructions pretty straight forward, it does state to use two packet mixes but i made my own mixture from scratch and found by using 5 eggs and measuring all the other ingredients the same weight as the eggs was plenty to fill the mould. also other users have stated that they were unsure on what the extra mould was for,it is to create a dip in the base of the cake to create a space for filling to be added once cake is cool. ive only had 2 attempts so far but they have bee pretty good, hopfully future attempts will get better.
on 20 August 2013
I was initially pleased with this set, but, having used it I find it hard to find a suitable recipe that will work. I asked about the instruction booklet which should have been included and was told there wasn't one. It is very hard to guage quatities and oven settings and to get the inside of the cake to cook at the same time as the outside. It's not just me, I went online to see how others had fared, and there were lots of people in the same boat.
on 23 December 2012
After four attempts at using this mould I gave up. The mixture simply did not turn out of the mould despite greasing it well. The mixture was 12oz,12oz,12oz - so extremely wasteful. I have tried to return the item but the seller is saying that I am at fault, not the mould. I am very experienced at baking & take offence at this comment and am disappointed not to have received a refund. I won't be using them again.
on 28 June 2015
Bought this for my friend to bake a giant cupcake for my birthday as she is an avid baker. Unfortunately it took her three attempts (and on one occasion the cake collapsed whilst being baked) some people like working with silicone...some people don't. I did get my gnome house cupcake in the end. I am sure practice makes perfect and no doubt I will given back this to practice!