Customer reviews

Cliff Richard - Bold as Brass [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 21 November 2010
This DVD presents the last night of Cliff's 70th birthday week of shows at The Royal Albert Hall in London, October 2010. As the box explains, this is a different kind of show from Cliff; a show featuring a swing band (the titular brass), a different take on old songs, and a host of songs he has never sung before. Fans have known for years that Cliff has been interested in doing something like this. Indeed, he tried out the formula in his 40th anniversary show (also at Royal Albert Hall) and others.

I was at the show, and can attest that the show is accurately and completely represented by the DVD, from Cliff's surprise entrance, to the big finish. The DVD includes all 28 songs from the show. Cliff performs, for the first time in his career, an entire new album (Bold As Brass), including the tracks from the bonus CD. We also get a very nice behind-the-scenes extra, featuring Cliff, Michael Omartian, and various other key players (pardon the pun) involved in the production of the album and the show. The band is worth a mention, because it comprised some astonishing musicians, who were given various moments to "do their thing" during the show. Watch out for the trombone player. He really earned his money!

The sound quality is great with Dolby Digital 5.1 selected. I didn't try the other option - Dolby Digital 2.0. The picture quality is the best I've ever seen on a Cliff DVD, or any other live show for that matter. I presume this is because the whole thing was recorded in high-definition for Blu-ray. The only thing I was not keen on was the editing. The slow numbers were cut together as snappily as the quick numbers. That is a minor quibble though, as the show was wonderful throughout.

The DVD does not include a playlist, so here it is:

Fly Me To The Moon
Don't Forget Around Much Anymore
Night And Day
Bewitched, Bothered And Bewildered
We Don't Talk Anymore
22 Comments| 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 March 2017
This certainly did meet my expectations. Several hours of non-stop entertainment from Cliff
and his guests. A little more unusual, but the Brass Orchestra and his lovely voice matched
very well. I always feel uplifted after Cliff's concerts, singing and dancing along if the mood
takes me. I've paid much more for other artists that are not as good.
on 12 April 2017
grate concert with excellent picture an sound on this Blu-Ray disc if you like cliff Richard get this disc
on 16 March 2017
Different but excellent
on 24 September 2017
Lovely
on 27 March 2016
Present for the wife. She loves it.
on 12 March 2017
Very happy with it thank you
on 4 June 2017
THANKS GREAT PURCHASE
on 20 August 2017
Excellent
on 3 May 2017
Briallant, great dvd , loved every bit , highly recommend it.