Format: Audio CD|Change

on 26 January 2012
In an era where moderate singers become household names through the power of the radio, espcially the light weight classical channels, It is nice to spend time listening to a voice of real quality. Cecila Bartoli is arguably one of the finest opera singers around. Her diction, sense of drama, willingness and ability to draw the listener in with her tonal range, her exquisite sense of melodic line all show her to be at the very top of the tree. This album is a selecttion of varied show pieces from across a number of musical periods. Cecilia Bartoli shows that she can meet the period, style and artistic task head on and create some magical moments. Whilst not an album exploring a particular composer or era in depth it is a must for anyone who just wants to hear singing of exceptional quality.
The `prestige edition' of Sospiri is the one to own, with two discs being presented in a CD size hard back package comprising 54 glossy pages of track list, track notes (English, French, German), libretto of the sung text, and some lovely romantic photos of Cecilia Bartoli. The quality of presentation and detail is outstanding.

As for the choice of songs, the list pushes the boundaries with a world premiere recording and a first time on CD recording (arias by Vinci and Rossini respectively). There are many lesser known works interspersed with the familiar such as Handel's `Ombra mai fu' and `Lascia la spina', both of which are sung with a sublime mix of passion and restraint, and certainly not in the usual style associated with these baroque favourites.

Cecilia Bartoli continues to combine the unfamiliar with the popular, and performs with her usual dedicated passion and virtuoso skill which I think is becoming almost unrivalled in this generation of opera singing.
on 1 December 2010
I knew who Cecilia Bartoli was but never reached to hear any of her recordings before this one, which I bought as an impulse only yesterday.

It's the third time I listen to it and I'm not tired of it.

Beautiful voice, fantastic control and high emotion are in these renditions. I've also found a truly wonderful "Casta Diva" that surely will be played often in parallel with the unsurpassed (for me) performance of Caballé in 1974.

Bartoli has gained, if not a new devoted fan (must listen to other recordings before that), surely a new happy and deeply moved follower.

Long-term followers might not find enough new material here that justifies the spend but I would recommend the purchase to people who, like me, doesn't have any recording from this mezzo and wants to know more of her artistry. I think it's a splendid start.
55 comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 October 2012
Cecilia Bartoli at her best.
I listened to this recording on KLM flight (it was part of their entertainment program) and then bought it. No regrets - this is one of the finest classical recordings you can get for the money in this world.
on 9 November 2012
This collection of soft and reflective arias (available elsewhere in her catalogue) show how beautifully Ms Bartoli can leave the fireworks behind and entrance us with her gentler, but no less brilliant, style of singing. Glorious!
on 25 February 2012
Yet again another purchase delivered on time as per the dispatch notes, well packaged to prevent damage even when the posty rams them through the letter box this is on my to do list and expand my letter box an inch or two. As for the music, it speaks for it self Cecilia Bartoli is at the top of the tree of mezzo soprano's.
on 10 May 2013
This is my all time favourite CD. If you need to get your shoulders down and breathe, this is it. So beautiful and so relaxing. I give this CD as a present to my good friends.
on 27 September 2013
This is a truly beautiful CD, her voice, as ever, is faultless. This will be a hard one to beat.
on 16 December 2010
Don't get me wrong - Cecilia Bartoli is fantastic and some of the tracks on this 'Special 2-CD Deluxe Edition' of 'Sospiri' are truly memorable, even if there's not much that is new. The problem is that the track numbering and titles printed on the album don't correspond to what is displayed when you put either CD into your player. For example, Track 7 (Voi che sapete from Mozart's 'Marriage of Figaro') is displayed in my media player as (Vesperae Solennes) Laudate Dominum Onines Genes. I get the same problem when I play the disc in different media player in another computer so clearly, Decca can't be bothered to make sure that such information tallies...
on 21 July 2011
Been a Cecilia fan for a while now and I have many (though not all) of her albums. In short I think she is fantastic, with a fabulous voice etc. etc. When I received this album I found it to be brilliant; yes its a compilation but Cecilia is as fabulous as ever. This album has not disappointed and I am very pleased with it; excellent value. Any fan will love this album and for anyone who has not already experienced the thrill of listening to her, this is highly recommended.

The main disc is really superb, and although I don't normally go for "sacred" recordings in a big way, I found that I really liked the second disc. Nicely presented as a "luxury" album (like a small hard backed booklet with the discs inside the covers) the whole package, I think is really good value. A must for a Cecilia fan.

Hugh, Taunton.