on 14 May 2017
brilliant book the first time and second,but then all the his books are brilliant i own all his either on kindle, hard back or paper back.i keep repeating my self can't help it all his books are brilliant
on 27 April 2017
As always Sir Terry Pratchett delivers a great story.
A good read for all ages.
on 22 April 2017
No enough action for a 10 year old boy especially following on from book 1 which was slow enough. I didn't get him past half way.
on 16 April 2016
Diggers is one of Pratchett’s non-Discworld books, but that doesn’t mean that it isn’t worth reading. It is, in fact, the second book in the Bromeliad trilogy, and it follows “thousands of tiny nomes when they move into the ruined buildings of an abandoned quarry.”

It might not be as instantly memorable as some of his other work, but it still deserves a spot on your bookshelf because of the strong characterisation and stunning story line, as well as for the trademark wit that Pratchett left peppered throughout his work.

For me, Diggers was the best book in the series, although you’ll probably want to start with Truckers and end with Wings, to read the trilogy in order. I failed to do that, because I just picked them up as and when I saw them, and this was actually the last book that I read. It doesn’t really matter, though – they work just as well as standalones, for me.
on 20 March 2003
In Truckers, Masklin rescued the other nomes from the store before its demoliton. Then, he led them to a quarry, a place that they could call home. But now, Masklin realizes that the nomes can never really be at home in the human's world, so he sets off to find the airport, and the spaceship that brought the nomes to Earth some 15,000 years ago. But for the nomes left at the quarry, now led by Grimma, things go from bad to worse, and worse still. Where is Masklin, and who will save the nomes?
This book is as funny as the last one. The nomes are so very human, and yet so very different. Plus, the story kept you at the edge of your seat, right up to the surprise finale. What a wonderful book!
on 18 December 2005
I really recommend this book. it is the second book in the unbeliveably fantastic Bromeliad trilogy. This book is probably suitable for readers aged 9 upwards, but adults will enjoy it too. The hero of this book Masklin (who is only 4 inches high)departs on a quest at the begining of the book with 2 other nomes. (Angalo and Gurder). Do not be confused if you cannot understand the ending of this book because by reading the 3rd, it will completely make sense of the ending.
This second book is about the nomes trying to find a new life in a quarry after fleeing in the first book from a Department store where they had lived under the floor boards. They are aliens from an advanced Planet but they don't know it.
In the quarry life is hard going because of lack of food and the annoyance of humans who they have to hide from.The heroine is Grimma who reads lots of books despite some of the nomes thinking girls brains overheat if they read a lot.
Some of the nomes who were born in the store have a strong belief in a God that was thought to have built the store (Arnold Bros est 1905).Others disagree and theres lots of arguments throughout the book.
This is a fantastic adventure book funny and witty and will make a great addition to your bookshelf.
You must read Truckers first though!

Stephen Cage age 11 . Harrogate.
on 5 September 2013
I bought it to give to a youngster fixated on Harry and Hobbits. I hope he finds his horizons broadened. Great reading ... but read all three. And not as difficult to relate to as the disc world books. I think it is an important introduction to the worlds of Terry Pratchett.
on 13 July 2012
I would recomend that to anyone who want to relax and laugh a bit - funny and easy, interesting story - typical Terry Pratchett... nothing to do with disc worlds (which is my favourite, especially witches), but still good read :-D
Easily recommended to children and teenagers, thou not excluding adults ;-)
I would recommend it to read it as second book after rDiggers and before Wings, thou you can easily start from any but somehow story make more sense if you read it in from begging to the end (well.. if it is an end ;-))
I would as well recommend it to someone whose English is not first language to get to Terry Pratchett and get use to his writing style. Good way to improve your language skills :-)
on 25 February 2011
I had always found something else to read instead of Terry Pratchett even though my hubby has every single one of his books, I sadly missed out on some excellent reads for years as I had judged the books by there covers. I never thought I'd enjoy them as I preferred crime and horror. Until I picked up truckers, the following day I read diggers and the day after that I read wings and the rest is history.
I have read pretty much all of them now, and some repeatedly but truckers, diggers and wings still stick in my head as favourites.
The creativity and humour in his books is still astounding and there aren't many books that can make you really laugh out loud like his do, so buy them all you won't regret it!
on 6 May 2001
This the second book of the Bromeliad trilogy (following Truckers and followed by Wings).
After escaping from the doomed Store of Arnold Bros (est. 1905), the nomes find refuge in a disused quarry. And although life's harder Outside than it was in the Store, after a while everything goes well... until they find out that the quarry is going to be reopened.
At the same time, they also learn that Grandson Richard, 39, an heir to the Arnold Bros (est. 1905) fortune, is going to Florida to watch the launch of his first telecom satellite. To Masklin it's an oportunity to send the Thing back into space where it could contact the Ship which will bring them back HOME. And so he sets out, with Gurder and Angalo, on a trip to the airport.
And as the rest of the nomes are waiting for them to come back, their food reserves are inexorably running out and the humans' presence is starting to be a real nuisance. Are they going to flee and hide or are they going to stand up to them?
As expected, Diggers is brilliant and extremely funny. And again, the confrontation between the nomes' and our view of the world is the source of many of the typically "Pratchettian" puns we've all come to love!