on 21 December 2010
My existing version was due to expire, so I bought the 2011 version as I liked the product and had used it for the last 2 years.

Sadly, after using Webroot's own uninstall program prior to installing the 2011 version, I have been unable to use the 2011 version.

Like another reviewer, when I tried to install the 2011 program I kept getting the message: "a necessary file could not be located, setup cannot continue."

I rang Webroot's UK helpdesk and they said they would e-mail me a couple of programs to run that would clear up the problem. The problem arose, he said, because some elements of the old program hadn't been removed by the uninstall program. I duly ran the programs he sent but the problem remained. I then checked the FAQ section on the Webroot website and found a page devoted to the problem. I then tried every avenue they suggested, including rebooting in Safe Mode and running the clean-up software that way. The problem still remained.

I e-mailed Webroot again and asked for further advice. I am still waiting, a week later.

So if you plan to buy this product to renew your subscription, I recommend you don't bother. It's just not worth the hassle, or the lost money on a product you can't use.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 1 January 2011
I've used Webroots Spy Sweeper for quite a number of years now and until now have never experienced any compatibility issues. My subscription for 2010 ran out in Dec and rather than furnish the company with my credit card details over the net. I bought the latest version in which to upgrade (Also I have a disc handy if I ever need to reinstall the program)

Anyway like a few others I was unable to load the program apparently due to my computer missing a file. Now before I load any new piece of software, I will clear out my hard-drive of crud, defrag it and of course scan it. On receipt of the message I presumed that I had inadvertently deleted the so called missing file and so went through the palaver of trying to repair my copy of Vista with the disc utility but it came up with no faults with my OS. So I knew then that the fault lay with the 2011 version of Spy-sweeper rather than with my computer. Which in a nutshell is pretty poor black box testing from Webroot.

In the end I simply purchased another copy of the 2010 spysweeper and it installed no problems. I was hoping that it would allow me to upgrade to the 2011 version. No luck. But it does update so it can't be that bad.

Update...
Presuming that the comparability issue was because of some sort of conflict with the previous version , I passed on my copy to a friend for him to use on his brand new laptop. He rang me stating he couldn't load the program as he was missing..... a file.
on 2 December 2010
I've used spysweeper for a few years now and I've never had a problem until now. I decided to get the latest version for my desktop, inserted the disk, the installer ran until I received an error message saying that a file could not be located and the installation was aborted. I rang the help desk which was quick and painless, the help desk technician tried to remotely install the program and encounted the same problem. The solution, we thought was to download the entire security suite with all the files and just configure it appropriately. However, after rebooting the system, after moving the pointer and clicking on anything (start menu, antivirus, spysweeper icons etc) the computer just freezes completely, the pointer becomes an egg timer and nothing happens after that. Hugely disapointing, looks like a windows reinstall will be needed, spysweeper is confined to the bin
on 21 November 2010
I purchased Webroot 2months ago and found it to be very good,Installation disc is straight forward,It updates itself very quietly,and doesnt slow my computer down 1 bit,I have no complaints about this product whatsoever,
on 30 January 2011
If you are a long term fan of Spysweeper, then much like me you've probably read these other reviews about Spysweeper 2011 with an air of disbelief. For I have used Webroot Spysweeper since 2004 right up till now. I'd always loved the program which had kept my system secure again and again. So to hear people say such devestating things about such a beloved program left me feeling very annoyed and so I bought SS 2011 to prove it's success... YIKES!!!!!

Basically everything that the other reviewers had said was 100% accurate! I ran the program and uninstalled the old version ready for the new version to install. Then all I got was a message telling me that a necessary file could not be located and the installation had to abort. Again and again I tried to install the program and again and again I got the same message. So then I just threw the disc in the bin!.. Now I know I could have contacted Webroot's support centre, but to be honest I was far to livid for that!

I paid good money for this disc, a disc that should have everything you need to install the program. The fact that it failed even during the install is unforgivable! I have no idea what Webroot are playing at, but they have now lost a user of 7 years loyalty! So now I simply use a mixture of Windows Defender and Malware Bytes (2 free programs) to keep my system safe. The fact that it's such a systemic and reacurring problem should have seen Webroot recall the program untill the problem had been resolved. Not let people keep purchasing useless versions. So Take Heed Fellow Surfers: DO NOT BUY THIS PROGRAM IT WILL NOT INSTALL PROPERLY. And unless you want to spend hours of your life trying to fix the problem (possibly unsuccessfully) then use something else.

!!SORT IT OUT WEBROOT!!
on 26 August 2011
I have bought Spy sweeper after several years of superb service , i have found that the 2011 SPY SWEEPER is in effect a load of junk. It is impossible to install it even from the help of Webroot root themslves who emailed
them to me this is a item off the programe after instalation and before its usage.Even when this is carried out this list of why there are problems there is no means of getting a working SPY SWEEPER

s26/08/2011 11:38:23: Informational: ShieldEmail: Start monitoring port 25 for mail activities
26/08/2011 11:38:23: Informational: ShieldEmail: Start monitoring port 110 for mail activities
26/08/2011 11:37:51: License Check Status (0): Success
26/08/2011 11:37:50: Warning: Unable to secure run key from ambiguous path exploit for HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\Windows Defender. Parse Failure
26/08/2011 11:37:50: Warning: SpySweeper installation is damaged,please re-install the product.
26/08/2011 11:37:46: Webroot Software 6.1.0.157 started
26/08/2011 11:37:46: | Start of Session, 26 August 2011 |
***************
Several programes that were promised they would make things work even after installation there was faults
their engineer did try without any result. At the moment spysweeper is a load of utter useless rubish and rendering ones computer at risk