Format: Blu-ray|Change
Price:£25.99+ £1.26 shipping

on 12 May 2012
SUPERB FILM AND PORTRAYAL OF THE KING.I have given this dvd 4 stars, only for the reason that the end las vegas show was cut ???? on my vhs version he sings, blue suede shoes /wonder of you/ burning love/ trilogy.on the dvd he only sings, blue suede shoes/ wonder of you/ trilogy but, no burning love????why? must admit,WITHOUT BURNING LOVE it does ruin the end as it doesnt tally up. Hopefully they will release a dvd elvis movie un -edited.
on 24 August 2015
Kurt Russell in his epic starring role as the late great king of rock n roll Elvis Presley in a film directed by the legend that is John Carpenter, with a great soundtrack from Ronnie Macdowell, whats not to like
on 3 December 2010
Got this Blueray version as a nostalgia trip for myself as well as for my wife to see for the first time.
The entire movie was still very vivid in my mind. I still thought Kurt Russell done an outstanding job in the part, maybe even appreciated it more than I did first time round.
I always regretted never getting the chance to see Elvis live in my lifetime (I was 13 years old when he died in 77), but his music has kept me great company on my journey and I hope he has on yours too.
Not the greatest movie ever made, but a reasonable insight and history look into where it all started for Elvis and his family. Nothing much newsworthy for most E fans, but definetly worth a viewing for anyone with a passing interest in E's music and life.
The Blueray disc has some interesting interviews and extra pieces for Elvis diehards.
Minor niggle is the cutting of Burning Love from the final Vegas show at the end of the movie. It definetly added a + point to the original - anyone know why it got chopped for the latest release of this movie.
Thanks to John Carpenter, Kurt Russell, Season Hubley and co for a fine effort and tribute to the man that really was the King!
on 13 March 2014
As an Elvis Presley fan I just had to order this DVD asap!-I only paid £3.50 which was a bargain and im well happy with it,the only negative aspect about this REGION FREE(0)is the fact its been CUT when compared to the REGION 1 dvd version.(I already had the region 1 dvd aswell as the region B bluray.)the region 1 dvd is 248 minuets long and this region free dvd is only 241 minuets long..but,if you don't have a multi-region dvd palyer then this region free dvd is for you!!(you cant complain considering its so cheap)
on 1 June 2011
As a rabid John Carpenter fan, I was more than happy getting a new movie from The Man that I had never seen. From his "hot period", no less: shot between Halloween and The Fog. Even being a tv-movie and not a horror film, Elvis delivers.

This is his first colaboration with Kurt Russell, and you can understand why Carpenter thought he could be a great Snake Plissken, two years later. Russell is terrific here, as magnetic as you need to be playing Elvis Presley. The movie, anyway, doesn't show the decadence of the late Elvis, it ends with a positive note, so Russell never has to take his acting to the limit.

It's not 2.35:1 Widescreen, as Carpenter's films use to be, because it's for 70's television. But the composition of the frames is great anyway. Not a classic electronic score by Carpenter either, but you don't need it when you have Elvis'songs... This is not a musical film, but the numbers are pretty well filmed for the time and the money.

If you are interested in Carpenter, Russell or Elvis, you won't be dissapointed.
on 27 June 2014
I fist bought this film on VHS Cassette after i saw it at the cinema.first thoughts were is this elvis come back. well acted by Kirk Russell,the film in my opinion being an Elvis fan it does have its faults but a good buy for Elvis fans to see how magnetic this entertainer was on stage. and how gifted he was with such an unusually voice easy copied by others but there was only one Elvis presley and always will be. Good purchase in Blu Ray for all fans of Elvis.
on 4 November 2014
I love Elvis and was ready to love this. I didn't realise I had seen this as a youth, I had these scenes of Elvis in my head and always wondered where I had acquired these memories. It was this film. So on that, I'm glad I got this. Not the greatest film and I found it a little boring. Maybe it was the mood I was in but when I watch it again I will update this if my opinion changes.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 September 2010
a must for any elvis fan from beggining to end.if you know everything about elvis"s life u will love this dvd as it the story is told true to word.cried my eyes out what a man.
on 17 October 2013
Carpenter's TV movie is obviously not an essential part of the Carpenter canon in terms of his obvious directorial concerns - he's a hired gun here - but in terms of his development as a director and work with Kurt Russell, it's clearly significant.

At nearly three hours, Elvis is never boring, never too cheap (though it's scope is somewhat limited to concerts with 40-50 people in it, tops) and if it's never as good as even The Buddy Holly Story, let alone Walk the Line, it's still a fantastic watch. Russell and Season Hubley (Priscilla) are both engaging and convincing, with Russell especially embodying Elvis in his (easily and familiarly caricatured) style and natural charm. Carpenter is invisible, as usual, but he never wastes our time or misdirects our eyes - he's a DIRECTOR at what's interesting here and he does a great job. I forget who played "Red" in the movie but he's the only major supporting role that stands out for me in a good way. Shelly Winters is Elvis' mother and she overacts dreadfully in her later scenes and I was glad to see her go.

It's not a lost classic - if you're a Carpenter fan, I wouldn't say it's essential the way I would for Someone's Watching Me or Body Bags, but it's a better watch than Pro-Life if not Cigarette Burns, Carpenter's Master of Horror episodes. Elvis fans might wish to look elsewhere since this was made when Elvis had only recently died.

The UK blu-ray from Fremantle Media (an Aussie company, if I'm not mistaken) and Shout Factory (is a US blu-ray in the offing?) features:
- Excellent 1.85:1 1080p picture (slight grain, very attractive);
- 2.0 Mono lossless PCM audio,;
- Original making of EPK thing (though that's surely not the right term because this is a TV thing)
- Commentary by Ronnie McDowell (that's "Ronnie"), the excellent Elvis impersonator who voices Russell's singing in the film, and author Edie Hand;
- Clips from AMERICAN BANDSTAND (Dick Clark also produced and owns the movie) which don't feature Elvis at all - lame.

Great disc. Surprised by how great the TV movies I own on blu-ray (Dark Night of the Scarecrow, Roadracers) look.
on 15 June 2011
This is a replacement for a worn out VHS. My wife and I have watched this film many,many times. It is probably the best picture of Elvis's life of all time. Well worth buying even if you are not an Elvis fan.