TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 August 2015
This 2007 Spanish language [with English subtitles] science fiction horror features television reporter Angela Vidal (Manuela Velasco) and her unseen cameraman making a late night documentary at a fire-station when the crew has to respond to an emergency call from an apartment building. However, on arrival they find things are not quite what they seem and soon find themselves quarantined inside. It is told through in the ‘through the lens’ style as seen by the camera.
This two disc version has disc 1 [which holds the film] open to a main menu featuring play, scene selection, set up [basically Spanish 5.1 or 2.0, with subtitles in English on/off] and further attractions [basically 4 film trailers]. The second disc holds the bonus material comprising the making of, promotional gallery, interview gallery, the cutting room, production notes and the discs own set up [basically subtitles on/off].
The film starts off with a professional seeming interview filmed ‘through the lens’ that sets the tone for the film and a laid back pace which is continued on first arrival at the apartment complex but as the situation develops, so does the gradual tension. The acting and filming is excellent and the script, complete with lots of swearing, seems to fit the situation, giving a sense of realism as the bodies pile up. The interaction between inside and outside the building is handled well and realistically while the reactions of the participants -in the main shocked and subdued but growing more restless, seems to ring true.
The gore and scares are evenly spread between periods of exploration and discovery so a good pace is maintained. Even though it’s subtitled, it’s still easy to follow and they do not interfere too much with the viewing. The film has been remade in an English version [Quarantine] which retains over 80% of the script, but that lacks the realism seen in this original and is far to jerky. Definitely a ***** [despite the subtitles] and comes highly recommended.
One person found this helpful
on 24 October 2012
Seriously.I have watched many, many horror films over the years.I liked "Blair witch","Saw","Hostel", French film "Them", "Vacancy", "Right at your door", "Eden lake" and few others that stayed in my mind. But with 'REC" I have found my prefect one.I have to tell you,I never liked zombie films,it's too old-school. With "REC" nothing is predictable.The suspense is incredible.You can feel like your are there.What is very rare with horror films the plot is a logical story that leads to an ending that gives you an explanation. Also it has a fantastic touch of European cinema,there are no cliches ,it's all fresh and raw and bloody scary(without much blood).It starts very slowly but it has an ending that emphasize the terror to the point that I had to close my eyes (and it never happen to me before).It doesn't feel like it takes ideas from other films or like s.thing you've seen before even with the recording camera style obviously repeated after famous Blair Which Project.It is much better then something like "Paranormal activity"(and I mean P.A. part 1).The way they created fear in REC,well, I have never seen anything like this. I recommended this films immediately to some friends who have a choosy taste when it comes to horror films and they all liked it the same as I did .
I will never understand people who complain about subtitles,that's ingnorance. And how many subtitles you can get in a horror film anyway?:)

I also have to say that 'REC' part 2 unfortunately is far from REC 1.Still worth watching if you don't have to pay for it because it has at least one absolutely brilliant scene(they should add it to REC 1 and make it epic:)
One person found this helpful
on 18 March 2018
I bought this based on all the great reviews I’ve seen and heard from “horror” fans claiming they haven’t seen a horror this scary. I’m personally struggling to see where they are coming from. Even the jump scares weren’t that effective (most were pretty predictable. Very disappointed
on 9 January 2014
I bought this based on the reviews I read. It is Spanish so has sub-titles, no problem with that. Similar to The Blair Witch and Cloverfield. I thought the story was better than these two but have to say, having seen so many 'horror' films over time, this one will not stand out as such classics like The Exorcist. There's jumpy moments and plenty of blood and gore but, to me, nothing special.
It will probably appeal to younger viewers.
on 11 August 2009
I hate horror films because they never scare me, cheap 'jumps' aside they rarely provoke any reaction. This did! I was pretty scared for most of it.

Ok, there are some 'cheap' jumps but the whole atmosphere is pretty scary on the whole and I was very happy to be genuinely frightened for a change. The POV worked, it's a bit throwaway to just say its a Blair Witch rip off, (that wasn't very scary I didn't think) just because the same technique is used.

The POV really added to the creepy and confused feel to the film, which I know some people have taken as a critisicm, trying to justify every action/reaction and pulling every last scene apart etc. That misses the point for me and instead it helped absolve me of being too analytical, thus promoting my enjoyment.

Plot holes, yes but then there aren't many semi-supernatural films that don't and there certainly weren't enough to ruin my enjoyment.

Not seen the remake, don't want to, I think it's revealing that on average it has one less star than this film. The subtitles; I always think they help in horror films as they draw your attention in more. Overall would definitely recommend as a scary film!
on 17 November 2016
REC is still one of the most terrifying horror movies I have seen, and is on my list of movies to see every Halloween.
An incredible use of the found footage genre, wonderfully character-driven, gorey as all hell, and keeps the tension from start to end.
There's a few special features to enjoy too.
on 27 May 2013
Yes this maybe a spanish movie, but coping with the subtitles will be the least of your problems when watching this well-paced, tense horror movie. Although the shaky camera effect can get annoying at points, it's well worth a watch and will have you grasping for the pillow to cover your eyes in no time!
on 18 December 2017
ok
on 20 July 2015
Lovely this movie! Don't be put off by Spanish subtitles. It's intense and interesting and the ending is great. It's one of the better cam like movies we have seen these days
on 7 June 2017
Good quality and condition. I will buy again.