on 14 January 2017
If I could give this half a star I would . software refuses to load , keeps asking for plug ins , unable to launch etc. Waste of money.
on 5 February 2013
Does what it sets out to do - good flashcards and video lessons which are user friendly.
User control on the video (replay, start again etc) and record kept of completed lessons are very good.
on 7 May 2013
You could spend insane money on the rival rosetta type product but this product has a lot of depth and variation and enables you put on the ipod, listen in car, interact in exercises enough to not be bored.
good product for the money
go for rosetta if you want more depth but then youll be spending £250-300 so take your choice i guess
on 14 April 2013
If you are a learner of the German language, then this is a must-have, all basic statements are included for easy learning.
on 19 June 2012
As someone looking to learn basic German, I have found this very easy to use and have managed to pick up a good understanding of the German language. Good value for money too.
on 8 May 2013
The lack of an accompanying book comes as a bit of a surprise. But it is all on line.
And it works very well.
on 26 October 2011
excellent program which is Ideal for my wife, as I already speak German, it has an advantage for learning to write or improve one's ability to write .
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 3 February 2013
Unable to comment on this product as it was a present to a member of the family but I believe it was useful when the went to Switzerland recently.
on 19 January 2011
I can't tell you exactly why, but this software has left me completely disinterested. I don't know if it's the user interface or the disjointed items in the box. What I can say is it arrived I installed it, tried it for around an hour, felt bored and uninspired and haven't loaded it back up since. This more or less applies to everyone in our household, no one is even vaguely interested in progressing with this. This contrasts with the Rosetta Stone series, where the family fought over time on it.
3 people found this helpful
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 25 August 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I already speak a bit of German, but wanted to improve my vocab skills, so when this was offered I jumped at it. However, I should have read some of the other reviews first. This is a very clumsy and basic course. It takes a while to install and register, which is not a problem, but once you get into the system it is so user unfriendly, that it became a chore just to get to the first lesson. You are allowed to choose between conversational and reading lessons. I went into the laborious `conversational', it has a number of `flash cards' that you have to repeat and then translate back into English and then German from English. It was all pretty basic, but my keyboard will not work to allow me to do the written option. Others have commented on this and I do have Windows Vista which is supposed to be compatible. So that is one star lost already.

I then went on to the part where you can record your answers and gues what? Yeah you got it, it failed to record, so Auf Wiedersehen to ein anderen star! The user manual is also huge and that may be because it is a one size fits all for all of their courses. That may reduce production costs but is a total waste of paper and your time for having to by pass all the guff about Chinese characters and how to type accents etc. Especially so as your key board will not work in the first place!

There are also four CD's that they inform you that you can play in your car whilst on the way to work. I know this is educational, but I think most of us have worked out how to listen to a CD prior to getting this gold mine of useful information. I actually get the train, so I stuck them on my mp3 thingy and this is the most helpful part of the whole programme. My only gripe is the narrator is a rather gushy lady from across the pond and her voice is a bit annoying especially as the music accompaniment is sort of second hand eighties poodle rock - but this is me being slightly pretentious.

Also it seems to have installed a random screen saver, as everytime I come back to my PC it has phrases in German about going to the cinema on a saturday or not liking a loud motor vehicle - this is turning out to be erring on the side of misplaced comedy genius, I can't wait to try some of these 'every day' phrases out on real Germans, if this is what they all talk like, looks like one helluva party!

So not that impressed really, I have been at it for a while (bit of a double entendre there - sorry) and am not `feeling the love', and it is still a bit basic, but my German is improving so not a complete waste of time. The system is well dated though and could use some serious upgrades. As another reviewer has said the Collins Live Mocha course is way better.
5 people found this helpful