Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The aim of a good French course is that you will comprehend the basics and have a foundation on which to build.
It says this is the number one software and I guess that's because the price isn't extortionate.
However despite it not being expensive, it's not really value for money.
The problem with the software is that it doesn't have any consistency.

It has an ability to speak into a microphone and it will "analyse" whether you have said the French word correctly. Rosetta stone software also has this and that is considerably more expensive (although not recommended)
I found myself shouting at the computer as I was pronouncing it correctly! The Software thought otherwise.
I think I was right.

This is just one of the several shortcomings.
It obviously cannot hear my version of French!

Another problem is it has Americanisms.
I want to learn French from a French person. The American voice still sounds American when pronouncing French words.
Overall, not expensive but not recommended.
on 22 March 2011
It rather depends on what level of French you are starting from. This course is elementary only (although it claims otherwise). The structure offers so many combinations and permutations for the user to employ that it really is a "dogs dinner". The software is very clever in places but also has a few "bugs". The online help centre does not reply to emailed questions. Lastly the commentary is delivered in a strong American accent in a style that may not please the British ear, if fact it grates.
VINE VOICEon 28 July 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Installing the software was smooth. I am on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and I did not encounter any problems. The User Interface is good, the visuals are stunning.
About the software itself. Well for me it was a new experience since I did not know even greetings! There is so much in terms of activities. I first started with the absolute beginner stuff and spent most of my learning there. I must say it is really good as it labours to help even with pronounciations. The excercises are really useful as they help gauge how well concepts are being grasped .However I think it makes learning really easy especially with the collection of commonly used terms. I am not just sure in real life I will be able to recognise the word as spoken by a real person as I did in the software. I have a friend who is fluent in French (than in English) so I hope to 'confront' him with some French each time I absorb some new terms.

I will update the review as I continue learning. This is recommended especially for those without any knowledge of French, I am not sure at the moment how good the advanced lessons are.

Highly recommened.
on 24 January 2011
This course has absolutely everything I ever wanted for learning French. The DVD covers all possible angles and has a unique setup for listening to the exact pronunciation and meaning of every word or sentence. I don't know any other learning system capable of doing this, it's such an important feature. Also,the fun tests for checking what you've learned really help to develope the memory and act as a constant guide to your progress. If you want to take the typing tests the system is even set up for typing in the correct French accents where necessary. How good is that! Ten out of ten: and I haven't even looked at the CD's yet!
on 3 October 2010
I have the German Berlitz Premier Version 2 which also claims compatibility to modern operating systems. BEWARE THIS SOFTWARE IS NOT WHAT IT CLAIMS ON THE BOX!!!!!!!!!!!!! There should be some law against selling products which claim to be compatible and are most definately not!!!! My 64bit Windows 7 Home Premium IS NOT. Worse still no support or valid update to help with the situation. Issues include; Not opening, can't type in replys if you do get it open, cannot view theatre/video lessons. So you are left with flash cards....when the list imports!!!!! I was sooooo excited when I bought the program, it looks amazing, Wish I had me money back!!!! Software should be renamed: PC BLITZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
33 Comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 October 2011
This product appears very comprehensive.

It consists of an installation DVD for the PC or Laptop, which contains the complete course plus a supporting book.
Also a set of CD's for use in the car or discman, which are very useful to continue larning away from the computer.

The DVD & CD's can be installed on more than 1 system & the CD's can be copied to protect the originals from constant use. I have not tried copying the DVD as it is not necessary - once installed it is not required again.

There are many different parts to the course & each can be accessed at any time & in any order.
Any part can be exited without completion, is automatically saved & can be returned to exactly as you left it.

I am enjoying it very much.

The price is excellent too.

I am very impressed or I should say, Je suis très impessed!
on 14 September 2011
Delivery was prompt. Size of the accompanying instruction book filled me, quite unnecessarily, with apprehension. Actually using the product was easy, fun and rewarding. Only issue was that my UK keyboard was not recognised by the system and I was involved in some inconvenience to sort it out. I believe this is a common situation and the software should really be able to accommodate UK keyboards without having to go online for help and tolerate the inconvenience of not having access to the entire program through one access point. Hopefully this will not discourage me from continuing to use what otherwise appears to be a well presented, carefully linked, and extensive learning experience.
on 5 May 2014
I can not recommend this product at all. I have the usual problem, it doe not recognise UK keyboards in the 'Learning Centre'. It will work when loading the flash cards directly but once you open the learning centre, it falls to pieces again. This is happening even though I have set the keyboard to US English.
The net is chock-a-block with the same complaint and the Berlitz support site responses show that they have no intention of acknowledging the issue, let alone solve it.
Amazon should not sell this product to UK customers, a constant pain to use, must be better products out there. AVOID!!
VINE VOICEon 13 August 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This package provides a wealth of resources to learn to speak french and I am enjoying using them. It provides an installation CD to install the programme on your pc and four audio cds which can be used to listen on the go. It uses listening and speaking which requires you to use your pc microphone (not provided). The software installs the flashcards and phrases as your screensaver so helps you to immerse yourself in the language. For the price, it is good value and fun to use.
on 31 October 2012
Berlitz French contains 5 CDs which do not relate (as far as I can tell) to any of the of the other material. With the computer part one is able to select from a number of "assignments" in any order but there is no clear progression path. Its all very well having differnt types of "assignments" to keep the learner interested but when they are not connected or build on each other it becomes ineffective.

See one answered question