Format: DVD|Change

HALL OF FAMEon 10 December 2010
I have played the piano all my life but never really thought all that much about what went into making a fine piano (or even a not so fine one). This documentary takes us through the year-long process of building a single piano, Steinway concert grand (Model D) Number L1037. Every step of the way is fascinating. I am in awe of the dedication and craftsmanship of all the people involved. I also loved the snippets of conversation with such pianistic luminaries as Hélène Grimaud and Pierre-Laurent Aimard, as well as jazzmen Marcus Roberts and Harry Connick Jr. But mostly I was fascinated by the craftsmen. I makes me appreciate my old Steinway Model B all the more.

Scott Morrison
on 6 December 2013
Clearly this product is intended for the German market, as packaging & labeling is all printed in German, and the DVD has German subtitles. None of that was evident from the product description in Amazon. Unfortunately, I'm unable to return or get a refund, as it was sent as a gift to a UK address and I live in the USA. "Oh well" I guess! I'm very familiar with the actual content, as I have my own copy here in US, and it's a wonderful insight into the people whose great skill, care & character go into building & giving life to these wonderful beasts of sound. And just watch those pianists testing out & selecting their instruments--including the incredible genius, Lang Lang.
VINE VOICEon 23 June 2015
An enjoyable film, although the language is slightly odd. Mostly the interviews are spoken in English, but the subtitles and captions are in German, so you slightly lose some of the content if you're not a German speaker. Still, a minor issue, and a very interesting film if you like your pianos!
on 29 May 2014
An interesting insight in to the making of a grand piano. I wonder however just how much recent research Steinway has put into improving performance and tonal quality. A brilliant marketing strategy.
on 30 October 2014