Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£9.49

on 4 March 2017
Lovely deck
on 18 March 2017
Beautiful deck, great help with Welsh mythology
on 26 January 2007
I bought this deck because I love Wales and seeing Bala Lake (which has many personal memories for me) used for The Tower card I felt I must have it. That said it is a gorgeous deck, It is watercoloured and so therefore avoids the computer generated pictures, where everyone looks like someone specific, when you need a general look for divination. It also is happily deviod of the cartoony appearance and nudity which seem so prevelent in many modern decks. I find the images moving and inspiring. It is also a way to pass on the Welsh Legends which I personally like. One tiny critisism and this is purely me, I miss the dogs and crayfish on the Moon card!. But that is me a dogs!
on 27 January 2014
Love this deck, great images and, once you get into it, easy to read.

I am a established reader and have used many decks over the years, but there is one card in this deck that I find hard to read/understand, The World. The World to me is a card of successful completion, I have reached my goal, making you feel `on top of the world`. But this World is a cold world of ice and snow and you being trapped in the ice and not having a feeling of successful completion. Other readers have offered their help on this card and I can see what they mean but it still means nothing to me. So at the moment, I cannot used this deck professionally because of this. Still a lovely deck. if you can read The World.
VINE VOICEon 23 April 2008
is the body of welsh myth that this deck is based on. Ferguson's work is very well done and romantic, & the way that the deck was packaged, complete with book and tarot bag, was lovely. However, I have to say that i think the subject matter of the Mabinogion was dealt with rather strangely. The Mabinogi 'wonder tales' are a straightforward progression, the first tale, Pwyll Prince of Dyfed, sets the scene for many of the later happenings in the cycle. However, this deck starts with the story of Peredur, generally accepted to come from a later body of myth. So while I love the deck itself, I think it's not very well researched. On a magical level, it would not be possible to 'progress' through the tarot, and thus, meditation and ritual would be limited too. Also the stories don't all come from the Mabinogi but from other welsh wonder tales and stories. It is a good starting point if you are interested in the welsh story cycle,but if one wanted to make a deeper study of these themes, one would have be better off with the work of Caitlin Matthews. Having said that, I'd like to see A M Fergusons King Arthur deck but I probably wouldn't buy it.
on 1 September 2006
First of all, the title. Many people know Llewellyn as a publishing house specializing in esoteric subjects such as Tarot. What is less well-known is that the man who founded the publishing house about a century ago was Llewellyn George, a Welshman who had emigrated to America and subsequently become a passionate explorer of hermeticism and other matters. This tarot is, in a sense, a tribute to this man. Not by depicting his biography but by plunging us into the culture from whence he came, the powerful, poetic, myth-laden culture of Wales, replete with deities and heroes and strange beasts.

The deck is comprised of the usual 78 Tarot cards, 22 Major Arcana and 56 Minors, the latter of which are divided up into suits of Swords, Wands, Cups and Pentacles. The images are 78 watercolour paintings by Anna-Marie Ferguson who has also written the handsome and very helpful companion book.

The Minors are very reminiscent of the Rider-Waite system as far as imagery goes; the superb and highly atmospheric Majors are less so, yet still remain true to the symbolic meanings. Whilst the Minors depict daily life, the Majors introduce us to the deities and heroes of Welsh mythology. Peredur is The Fool, Gwydion, The Magician, Llew Llaw Gyffes, The Sun. And so on. There is no sense of contrivance : Ferguson understands both the Tarot and the mythology very well, and has married them together beautifully.

How are these cards for reading ? Excellent. Anyone with a background in Rider-Waite will have little trouble. And I believe anyone fascinated with mythology would be delighted to work with them. I suspect I shall also use the Majors in particular for meditation and dreamwork.

Mention must also be made of the book. Each of the Major Arcana has a detailed three or four pages devoted to it, and the appropriate myth in full.

If you are new to Anna-Marie Ferguson's work, you may like to get her earlier Tarot LEGEND, based on the Arthurian mythos. She is also the illustrator of a new-ish edition of LE MORTE D'ARTHUR. Her misty, mossy, medieval landscapes really are second to none.
on 23 March 2015
I have this deck. By far my favorite. The illustrations are breath taking! The cards have a celtic magical feel to them. The book is great! It gives you the meanings of each card, both upright and reversed, and it is full of welsh legend. Each major arcana card represents a welsh mythological character without diverting from the original meanings. I would not rely too much on the meanings provided in the book as they are quite limited IMO, nonetheless the book is great and I would suggest this set to beginners, however, be willing to seek for the meanings in other sources as you go along. My only complaint is the quality of the cards, I think they are are quite thin and flimsy. I ` ve had my deck for a couple of months now but they look very worn out. I wouldn` t mind paying a little more for better cards, other than that, I recommend this deck to anyone who wants a nice looking deck that follows the Rider Waite system and is fond of Welsh/Pagan/Celtic Mythology
on 10 August 2014
Absolutely stunning tarot that follows the basic Rider Waite system. Gorgeous water colour paintings. Would highly recommend.
on 13 November 2014
The item includes tarot cards and a book. The book is great and the cards are as expected looks wise. The only negative is the quality of the cards, they mark very quickly, mine have only been used twice and already have damage to the edges, they could have done with a plastic coating.
on 23 November 2014
Everything I expected. Beautiful cards, with a touch of the mediaeval about them. Love them and received them before allotted time.