on 9 August 2012
I already have Carl Purcell's previous book 'Painting with your artist's brain' and it gives a useful perspective on how to see and how to use your artist's brain and how to avoid your intellectual brain getting in the way.

I had hoped that this book - 'Your artist's brain' would build upon the previous book. However, I was disappointed to find that the second half of this book is exactly the same as the previous book, which I already have. So, I returned this book to Amazon for a refund.

I am not criticising the book so much as the way in which it is marketed. The website should make it much clearer that this book includes a significant quantity of material published in a previous book.

If you don't have Carl's previous book(s?) then I recommend this book to you.
on 16 May 2013
This is one of those books that every artist must have if they are to to understand how the eye and brain actually sees rather than just knowing how things are in real life.
on 15 March 2015
One of the best art manuals I have ever read. It really does teach you to see like an artist and is easily readable. It contains much hidden technique that will improve your paintings manyfold.
on 26 September 2017
This book is recommended by Johannes Voolhthius and really helps you to take your paintings to the next level.
on 2 December 2012
a book that teaches, inspires confidence and encourages creativity. It is the most useful book that I have found to loosen my style.
on 13 November 2014
Very good
on 31 October 2016
Cannot do with out it.
on 17 August 2017
One of my absolute favourite books of all time
on 19 January 2012
Maybe my expectations were wrong. I expected new ideas to help improve my drawing, but really I found nothing to excite or inspire me. I am not a very experienced painter but most of what I read I have already seen in other books, and at a much cheaper price. Think carefully of what you expect from this book if you are not to be disappointed.