on 22 March 2016
As ever the amazing Terry Pratchet gives a hilarious but cutting insight into the situations affecting our own world , many of which are relevant today.

The leaders of Klatch and Ankh-Morpork are surprised when a new island surfaces in the sea halfway between them. It is useless except for being strategically positioned and for being an issue to raise Illfeeling, racial intolerance and a reason for politicians to have a jolly good war..... Which was their plan anyway!

It's down to Commander Vimes and the brave men of the watch to figure out the underlying situation, try to prevent lynch mobs attacking " foreign citizens " of AM and working out how far he can go to wage "war on war".

I love the Discworld books and particularly how Sir Terry uses it to reflect back on the humanity and moral compass of this world. The war with Klatch which could be seen as an "Arabic" type nation has so many facets directly appropriate to this day and age and yet he manages to show how ridiculous some things are with genuine laugh out loud moments.
Corporal Nobs doing the dance of the seven veils....now there's an image......
One person found this helpful
on 29 September 2015
I really enjoyed this book. I think it's because The Watch was taken from its home and thrust into the alien world of war in an alien land. Vetinari always seems to be able to keep things under control, this time with the help of Leonard of Quirm and his literally named inventions. Nobby was forced to explore his feminine side and he found he enjoyed it (though no-one else did). There was so much going on in this book and you got to explore the characters deeper than before, which I enjoyed.
One person found this helpful
on 16 July 2013
Jingo is the story of war and how it can break out in pointless circumstances over useless lumps of land. A bit like the real world in that respect.

Vimes and his assortment of Watch employees find themselves at war with Klatch and the story that unfolds reflects upon racism, extremism, politics, history and much else besides. Vetinari - one of my favourite characters - plays the cool master politician and I can't help but think we could do with more Vetinaris in the real world.

It's still fun of course. There are laughs to be had in this book but there are also serious undertones. This is one of Pratchett's best books for a long time.
on 7 May 2018
Great satire on warfare and national rivalry and the best passages about Nobby and Vetinari in the series. Sam Vimes features prominently and also the ultimate policeman from Klatch. Leonard of Quirm also has an important role which is never a bad thing.....
on 24 December 2014
Anyone who has read the discworld books will know Terry Pratchetts work so I will not go into details about the plotline or humour involved.
What I will say is that if you are buying the hardback version because like me your eyesight isn't what it was and you want larger type then you will be disappointed, the book is not the same as the later versions this book is the same size and typeface as the paperback version so the extra spent on the hardback book isn't warranted.
on 12 July 2012
Like many Discworld novels, Jingo successfully parodies our own culture and highlights our failings, gently prompting us to try to avoid repeating those mistakes in the future. Compared to some of the other Discworld novels I have read, the actual plot of Jingo is not quite as gripping as some of the other stories. Making up for this, though, is the fantastic cast of regular and new characters which Pratchett commands.

A number of times my other half was asking what I was laughing at while reading Jingo and in reading it out to her I completely failed to bring across why it was funny. Pratchett's genius is in setting up memorable characters and quirks which allow the comedy to come out in the unspoken narrative between the lines. Like a great TV sitcom, you're almost laughing at the jokes before the punchline is finished because you can guess what the characters will say or think next.

This is at some of its best in Jingo and by the end of the book I was itching to read another story with the same characters. Well worth a read.
on 10 May 2016
I initially struggled with the first half of this book as it was quite long winded due to setting up the plot and disparity between ankh morpork and klatch
Although once you're out of the city that's where the fun starts, to watch the determined Sam vimes and straight laced patrician
A novel I shall have to read again just to get my head around
on 22 July 2013
bought this and lots of other pratchett books when got my first kindle so could read as liked. All the older books haven't read for a while and can not afford the prices for the hard backs (from middle to latest have a hardback collection). Took great pleasure in re-reading this again. The magic is still there and he's still the only author that keeps me glued to page chuckling away. If you haven't read a Pratchett novel before then buy one quick and be prepared for whole other world of entertainment.
on 12 January 2018
Filling in my Discworld collection - a salutory novel given current times (2016 - 20??) whilst still being pure Pratchett fun.
on 5 May 2015
I'm a Pratchett nut - I don't think that I've read a book of his that I would happily give 5 stars to.... I've read all of them at least twice.... This latest re dressing of the early part of the collection is great for newcomers - or the complete fruitcake like me.

A bit of a stretch of the Discworld imagination